Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Why would any of that^ be any different? Laying tile won't blow the place up or knock you flat on your ass from 120V, 240V or 480V Three Phase power. Those kind of mistakes, you don't get a second try. Namely the latter. It will crawl the wall or floor to nail ya! Fry you up like a nice piece of bacon.
The reality is that I would not make the mistakes that some of the guys used as examples in this thread did, like not switching off the power. I'm sorry if you believe that it takes a master tradesman to turn the power off at the control panel. I didn't realize it was deemed some great feat for so many. As mentioned earlier, the use of the term pro here is up for debate. To become a master at anything takes year. To flip a switch take two seconds. At least for some of us.

Quote:
All because the secretary thought she changed a doorknob and thought she was qualified. Third degree burns are never nice as well as gassing yourself out in your sleep. Don't worry, we'll find you in the morning to help figure out WHY? I could write a book on this. There is no need. Don't go over your head because of arrogance. It's the FATAL mistake.
I'm a secretary now? I shouldn't be surprised. Why would should you know the difference? I have little doubt that you approach any work you do as haphazardly as you do formulating arguments.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
At last, I won this battle. I could/can humiliate you more if you really want it? Nah, you don't need that. I read back over this thread. It was just as I thought it was. A fake somebody who works at McDonald's with a fragile ego who doesn't know d*ck! Guess what? I was right, and now that we have established that, I am smiling. Don't get mad at the guy defending himself. I know you gals get your kicks on it though. Post away, it's all crappola!
You won what battle? Dude, some of us are not up at 3am. The only person you have humiliated is yourself. You are not stopping any DIY'er from working on their own homes, now matter how insulted you get. And if you have taught anything, it's not to buy into "pro" proclamations from random Joe's. I have learned this via Craigslist already, unfortunately. I'm now weary of guys advertising as landscapers, plumbers, etc, and always check references. I've had more than one moron come to my home for work and it was throwing money away. Not only that, but a few were convict level stupid.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:21 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,177 times
You ladies are going about this DIY stuff all wrong.

Call a pro and hope that some dude like Midnight Rambler shows up. Wear a skirt. Gush over his brute strength and act impressed by his expertise, even if he isn't making a lick of sense. When he finishes, gush some more about what a life-saver he is. Show him some of your other projects and he'll usually do a bunch of stuff for free before he leaves.

You don't need to watch a YouTube Video for this. It's like taking candy from a baby.

P.S. But you might want to watch him while he works to make sure he doesn't botch things up.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Definately not a pro but do ok for what I can do..I'm smart enough to pay someone to do the shyt I can't do..
Did you notice that the thread is about DIY women and if it intimidates and not about "Should I hire a pro or DIMyself because I know everything?" I think the two belong in completely different forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I thought the women posting were getting professional "advice" off you tube?

To me DIY is for fairly basic stuff. Anything requiring professional knowledge, I'm happy to get a pro. (Male OR female!) Idont need to worry about blowing shyte up to prove anything

Exactly!
So what if the women are getting "professional" advice off of you tube? Not everybody has access to people who can show them the basics.

My grandfather was the unofficial best in the southwest for what he did. He allowed people, mostly men, to come see him at his craft. He could not possiblly explain everything he knew in one session but he could show the basics and get somebody started. He learned by making mistakes and trying to do better. He did not go to school.

Remarking on this thread that you would rather pay a pro than blow some shyte up is a scare tactic. It is no different than MR telling women they are clueless and don't know anything unless they know what he knows. My family did a lot of DIY and Jerry rigging, and that house which is over 50 years old has yet to blow up. Are there many things not following code? Yes! But it hasn't blown up. I am not recommending not following code, of course.

First consider the location where you live. Are you highly educated or skilled? Are those around you highly educated or skilled? Chances are the pool of candidates to do your handiwork are highly skilled. They are probably not doing that job because they just needed extra income or because they just needed a job. Chances are you can pay somebody to perform a quality job. Chances are they depend on their reputation for their livelihood and not just getting new customers.

Now consider my situation. My husband and I have average educations. The people around us have average educations. The skilled workforce has average skills. Worse yet, they claim to be better than everybody else and use the same scare tactic I have seen here, that if we want it done right, we better choose the right people. I guess I could ask them next time: If I go with the other guy, is it possible he might blow shyte up?

Of course, the answer is no. What they don't get is that there will always be better tradesman and there will always be worse tradesman. You get what you can pay for. You do what you can do. You know what you know. You don't know what you don't know. This last statement is something a lazy or poorly skilled tradesman would take advantage of.

Brauwyn has shown her thinking process somewhere in this thread or another thread. She knows what she is getting into before she does it but does that mean she will do it perfectly? No. Does that means she can predict everything? No. Guess what? We hired a contractor with a good reputation to install our windows. They did not pass inspection code.

Quote:
I really shouldn't, but this is funny. If you think hanging sheet-rock, taping, mudding is tough.... you don't stand a chance. Those guys are half stoned out of their gore and or drunk when they do that.
Now who is saying these words "if you think that is tough."?

Last edited by crisan; 07-04-2011 at 05:51 AM..

Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You won what battle? Dude, some of us are not up at 3am. The only person you have humiliated is yourself. You are not stopping any DIY'er from working on their own homes, now matter how insulted you get. And if you have taught anything, it's not to buy into "pro" proclamations from random Joe's. I have learned this via Craigslist already, unfortunately. I'm now weary of guys advertising as landscapers, plumbers, etc, and always check references. I've had more than one moron come to my home for work and it was throwing money away. Not only that, but a few were convict level stupid.
When you contact one of these people on Craigslist ask to see their drivers license.

What to look for.

A. They actually have one. No? Not a good sign.
B. A P.O. box as their address. You're technically not supposed to do this, but DMV's allow it. Why would people put a P.O. box on their drivers license? They want to avoid physical contact, like a server!
C. They have a license, and an address. Is the info current? No? They just moved and haven't gotten around to changing it? Forgot to renew? Boy they seem to forget a lot of things, but I'm sure they'll remember to do everything YOU need them to remember, huh?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
You ladies are going about this DIY stuff all wrong.

Call a pro and hope that some dude like Midnight Rambler shows up. Wear a skirt. Gush over his brute strength and act impressed by his expertise, even if he isn't making a lick of sense. When he finishes, gush some more about what a life-saver he is. Show him some of your other projects and he'll usually do a bunch of stuff for free before he leaves.

You don't need to watch a YouTube Video for this. It's like taking candy from a baby.

P.S. But you might want to watch him while he works to make sure he doesn't botch things up.
Sorry, I should have written, your post should have been the last in this thread. This is hilarious.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Did you notice that the thread is about DIY women and if it intimidates and not about "Should I hire a pro or DIMyself because I know everything?" I think the two belong in completely different forums.

So what if the women are getting "professional" advice off of you tube? Not everybody has access to people who can show them the basics.

My grandfather was the unofficial best in the southwest for what he did. He allowed people, mostly men, to come see him at his craft. He could not possiblly explain everything he knew in one session but he could show the basics and get somebody started. He learned by making mistakes and trying to do better. He did not go to school.

Remarking on this thread that you would rather pay a pro than blow some shyte up is a scare tactic. It is no different than MR telling women they are clueless and don't know anything unless they know what he knows. My family did a lot of DIY and Jerry rigging, and that house which is over 50 years old has yet to blow up. Are there many things not following code? Yes! But it hasn't blown up. I am not recommending not following code, of course.

First consider the location where you live. Are you highly educated or skilled? Are those around you highly educated or skilled? Chances are the pool of candidates to do your handiwork are highly skilled. They are probably not doing that job because they just needed extra income or because they just needed a job. Chances are you can pay somebody to perform a quality job. Chances are they depend on their reputation for their livelihood and not just getting new customers.

Now consider my situation. My husband and I have average educations. The people around us have average educations. The skilled workforce has average skills. Worse yet, they claim to be better than everybody else and use the same scare tactic I have seen here, that if we want it done right, we better choose the right people. I guess I could ask them next time: If I go with the other guy, is it possible he might blow shyte up?

Of course, the answer is no. What they don't get is that there will always be better tradesman and there will always be worse tradesman. You get what you can pay for. You do what you can do. You know what you know. You don't know what you don't know. This last statement is something a lazy or poorly skilled tradesman would take advantage of.

Brauwyn has shown her thinking process somewhere in this thread or another thread. She knows what she is getting into before she does it but does that mean she will do it perfectly? No. Does that means she can predict everything? No. Guess what? We hired a contractor with a good reputation to install our windows. They did not pass inspection code.

jeepers!
Why would I tell my own gender they're clueless. I am pretty sure I have stated that I would get assistance from a professional regardless of gender.
I also stated I grew up on construction sites. I'm not scared to have a go. I do know when something is too technical. Do DIY woman intimidate me? No. just as much as a DIY male doesn't.

The ones (male or female) who do things that they've got no idea on.. well...

now, if I was interested any further in this conversation I'd respond in more detail. However, its boring.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
When you contact one of these people on Craigslist ask to see their drivers license.

What to look for.

A. They actually have one. No? Not a good sign.
B. A P.O. box as their address. You're technically not supposed to do this, but DMV's allow it. Why would people put a P.O. box on their drivers license? They want to avoid physical contact, like a server!
C. They have a license, and an address. Is the info current? No? They just moved and haven't gotten around to changing it? Forgot to renew? Boy they seem to forget a lot of things, but I'm sure they'll remember to do everything YOU need them to remember, huh?
Excellent idea. I hired this guy to do our leaves one fall when we first moved here. I have like 50 trees on a half acre. It gets out of control. He shows up with a home leaf-blower. I didn't know the difference at the time. Mid-way through I saw the problem, but I felt sorry for him, so I let him finish. $400 for that! Damn. My dh was pissed. I learned my lesson. And that's another reason to become as educated as possible.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
jeepers!

now, if I was interested any further in this conversation I'd respond in more detail. However, its boring.
Well, I think the whole blowing up your house thing is taken as a bit over the top. We're really only talking about swapping out light fixtures. For those on a budget, DIY shouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It's pretty stupid, isn't it. Physics is tough. Differential equations is tough. Not doing a perfect first time mudding job isn't what I would call tough. And my job wasn't that bad, and it certainly wasn't about frigging mudding over tape. I removed brick inlay! I had a wall of brick inlay, and I chiseled it out. It left moon craters in my wall and I mudded it. It looked like a wall, but it wasn't perfect. The other issue was the half wall I installed protruded out because the top of the wall that I left was very old. It sank in over the years. I mudded it. It was ok. A skilled mudder, OTOH, did a much better job. To be clear, these guys spent days working on. They'd mud, let it dry, sand remud, wash/repeat, for days. They were covered in white dust. Screw that shyte. The main reason my job wasn't perfect is because I was not willing to spend the time or make that kind of mess of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.