U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,639,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Some Journeyman electricians don't bother to shut off the power but i would hate to die from electric shock.
He said that he just wouldn't let the black and white touch and he'd be fine. Maybe if a person has three hands.

Quote:
I've seen & heard of power company electricians getting hurt badly, or dying from making an error with electricity. One error & a life could be over.

It's Great you got the problema solved.
I've seen that in the movies. They're hanging around huge power sources, tho, correct? Yea, it wasn't a big deal. Some things I have to tackle are faulty outlets in my house. I've never played with one before, so I'm hesitant.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-03-2011, 12:29 PM

8,003 posts, read 10,954,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
It is funny because I never saw myself as frugal. The only thing I recognized was that I was good at spending money but not much else. Now my rule is pretty simple, do I have to buy this or am I just being lazy.
Crisan, people are so used to going out and buying things that it doesn't occur to most that with a little practice, they can make it themselves...or they can make something BETTER. I am a make-do kind of person. My mother always said, "Necessity is the mother of invention". Many times in my younger years, there just wasn't any MONEY to spend on a lot of "extras", and I want what I want, when I want it. LOL Therefore, I learned to do many, many things. I am the queen of repurposing, rebuilding, and turning salvaged materials into masterpieces. LOL Money we don't always have...I can find time!

10,350 posts, read 19,268,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Ranting because there is wishing in one hand and crapping in the other going on in this thread. Only the toughest of tough make it. We haven't even gotten into the weather, heights and tight places part of it yet. How about being mean enough and scary enough looking so gang bangers leave you the hell alone when you have to go down into the hood with NO CHOICE on the matter? Like I said, you don;t want any part of it.
Braunwyn, in answer to your original question: yes, some men do seem to be intimidated by women fixing their own dryers and may try to sue you for doing so. Or intimidate you into backing down.

Now, WHO's got the baddest job around? A guy who can singlehandedly lift 300 lbs? Or a little bitty woman who gets poison dropped on her head in the lab? Food fight!

2,737 posts, read 2,543,964 times
This thread cracks me up. Every MAN gets it just fine. Somehow, the women doubt everything. Don't doubt anything. It's all true. I wouldn't have written if it wasn't. I know others know what I do. How do I know that? Because they do the same thing everyday as well. It's a mans job plain and simple. I think there is a little tag-team game going on here just to see if you can belittle me or get me riled up. It would have to be that. Everything has been pointed out and is clear as day. That also tells me books smarts and less practical knowledge, street smarts and or common sense. A first grader could figure all this out ALONE. Why do I write about it? To warn mothers if they are thinking of their son might be interested in it. I had no idea until I got started. My eyes were opened for me and it was a rude awaking. Fortunately for me, I was prehardend before I went in. If you don't know about a job, ask someone who does it. Surly don't think you know more about it then he does though for crying out loud.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Well ladies, whatever it is, you can bet they're not lifting 300 lbs manually. Can you imagine the insurance costs? Although OSHA does not specify strict limitations on the amount of weight employees are allowed to lift, you can bet that the company and/or union does. Think about it...L&I repurcussions, etc. I call 100% BS!
You are wrong!!! Wrong!!! No one cares! Don't bother crying about it to anyone. We will laugh in your face!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,029,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
You go first girls. I be in the truck to give them a whack with a 3' Rigid pipe wrench if they start getting the best of you!

YouTube - ‪N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (Uncut) [HD]‬‏
This did take a while to download but your referencing it now makes sense and verifies my assumption of from whence you come. I had you pegged as a rather stereotypical prejudiced and misogynistic redneck from Middle America. And I was right - you are - despite the color of your skin.

The internet can give you the opportunity to vent to your heart's content but it can also be a learning tool. Use it to educate yourself, use it to enable you to grow and release you from this neanderthal 'tude which will get you nowhere fast. I've met you so many, many times and particularly in the last 20+ years. You come in many guises, many colors and many ages. Many I've helped, some I can't. No skin off my back and I lose no sleep. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 PM

16,498 posts, read 19,984,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Some Journeyman electricians don't bother to shut off the power but i would hate to die from electric shock.

I've seen & heard of power company electricians getting hurt badly, or dying from making an error with electricity. One error & a life could be over.

It's Great you got the problema solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I used to be 5'7" and was always very physically fit and toned throughout my life. Many of the jobs I've had for the last almost 50 years have been relatively sedentary but I was blessed with good genes and inbetween those sedentary jobs I was a horse trainer for several years and even a construction worker for a year or so. Never been to a gym in my life. For the last 15 years I've singlehandedly owned and operated a busy restaurant in a dying building which has needed continuous upkeep - thus my having learned to do so many things myself. And I've survived two major hurricanes here, during one of which my home was without power for six months.

I'm now 65, am probably more like 5'5" tall , and will soon be closing up my restaurant and finding another adventure to pursue. When I heft cases of beers onto the conveyor belt at the supermarket and as I'm hefting them out of my car and into the restaurant to stack them up, I get a chuckle over the young cashiers who have to call for help to move just one case. Thank goodness cellphones are so light ...

I saw your nice website. You have an Awesome restaurant/bar there.
I bet you have many Happy friends/customers.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This did take a while to download but your referencing it now makes sense and verifies my assumption of from whence you come. I had you pegged as a rather stereotypical prejudiced and misogynistic redneck from Middle America. And I was right - you are - despite the color of your skin.

The internet can give you the opportunity to vent to your heart's content but it can also be a learning tool. Use it to educate yourself, use it to enable you to grow and release you from this neanderthal 'tude which will get you nowhere fast. I've met you so many, many times and particularly in the last 20+ years. You come in many guises, many colors and many ages. Many I've helped, some I can't. No skin off my back and I lose no sleep. Good luck.
I'm a white guy lady! If you don't understand the dangers from what I just posted truly you are CLUELESS!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,751,574 times
Quote:
Does a DIY'er woman intimidate you? Or?
Not at all, I see it as a very positive thing. The first house I bought needed major work and I gradually started learning new skills and did almost all of the work myself. I sold it after seven years for twice what I paid for it. If you had to call a repairman for everything that needed fixing it would be very expensive. Women can do anything that a man can do with the possible exception of certain things that require a great deal of strength but then you also have guys who also aren't strong enough and a few women who are up to the job. I've acquired a ton of tools over the years so I can handle most jobs and I'm sure there are many women who've done the same thing.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,639,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Braunwyn, in answer to your original question: yes, some men do seem to be intimidated by women fixing their own dryers and may try to sue you for doing so. Or intimidate you into backing down.

Now, WHO's got the baddest job around? A guy who can singlehandedly lift 300 lbs? Or a little bitty woman who gets poison dropped on her head in the lab? Food fight!
Well, it didn't land on my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.