U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,531,359 times

Advertisements

Those stilts can be a little tricky after six Budweisers at lunch though!
Rate this post positively

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
ROTFLOL.... that's just all. This has gotten so funny. Sorry if we've got you all up in the air and confused. It's actually pretty funny, especially when you can get someone so worked up that they're wetting their pants. LMAO. Actually, LOL....I'm the nurse, too....a "late in life" nurse, who has had several professions before becoming one.
I can tell you I'm no nurse. But I like to use electrical tape for band-aids and use liquid stitches regularly. Anything worse, I'm coming to see YOU!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's what's in the OP. This length of this goofy thread started over dryer belts, however ridiculous.

I think beachmel is the nurse. No it can't be learned online. The only way to learn is to do it. And making the argument that you shouldn't do it because you haven't done it doesn't make sense to me. That's been the argument in this thread.

Where else is a person going to get the experience without getting the experience? It's not about being a skilled tradesman. It's about DIY when you can.
Thus far the biggest skill problem I have faced is mudding/plastering. That's a technique that takes time to harness. I did it, and it wasn't so hot. When I had my ceilings done my contractor mudded over for me. He also had me there with him so I can improve my own skill. Why some folk take issue with that, I don't know.

Keep in mind that I'm not pouring foundation for a new extension, building an extension, etc on my own. But doing basic home repair like wiring, installing doors, etc is something I can do. A part of my entry way refacing project will be to patch up my outside stairs, which took a beating this past winter. I'm thinking of putting in some stone tiles as well.
Why would any of that^ be any different? Laying tile won't blow the place up or knock you flat on your ass from 120V, 240V or 480V Three Phase power. Those kind of mistakes, you don't get a second try. Namely the latter. It will crawl the wall or floor to nail ya! Fry you up like a nice piece of bacon. All because the secretary thought she changed a doorknob and thought she was qualified. Third degree burns are never nice as well as gassing yourself out in your sleep. Don't worry, we'll find you in the morning to help figure out WHY? I could write a book on this. There is no need. Don't go over your head because of arrogance. It's the FATAL mistake.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 PM

YouTube - ‪480 volt 3-phase Arc Flash Demonstration‬‏

Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,562,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Do you think women are innately challenged when it comes to on-hand tasks?
No.
I have seen a equal number of men verses women that have hands on coordination to do skills.
This is more a individual ability than a gender issue. I have worked with women carpenters that had much better abilities than many male carpenters with decades behind them.

The bigger issue has been pay per hour across the nation. Here in CA it is equal pay, but there is still a bias toward the employment of men. I have talked about this with employers and they say women can not lift as much as men. My answer has been, "why the hell do I need to lift more?"

Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No.
I have seen a equal number of men verses women that have hands on coordination to do skills.
This is more a individual ability than a gender issue. I have worked with women carpenters that had much better abilities than many male carpenters with decades behind them.

The bigger issue has been pay per hour across the nation. Here in CA it is equal pay, but there is still a bias toward the employment of men. I have talked about this with employers and they say women can not lift as much as men. My answer has been, "why the hell do I need to lift more?"
Well, after you get two or three of your girlfriends riding around in a truck to do what ONE man can by himself and losing money, you would understand. The same for having to buy a bunch of lifting equipment/crap when a man doesn't need it. You have your answer. Blunt? Perhaps, but you know it it true!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Water heaters.... don't use those flex-lines for ovens. It's against code. See that brass pressure relief valve on the side? A piece of pipe goes in that 6" off the floor. If that valve lifts and it is not there, you have scalding water spraying all over the room. That hard gas-line must have a drip-leg in a tee somewhere to catch moisture or particles before it hit the gas valve. The vent must be made of at least 26 gauge. Some locations require 24 gauge. My Nards sells 30. It's too damn thin and could split. You need 1/4" per foot rise on that vent as well. If it is not a B-vent chimney, it needs to have a aluminum flex liner dropped from the roof with a storm cap and collar. You also need at least three screws per connection in a flue pipe. Many don't have a gas valve shutoff within a few feet either, if any at all. Code-code-code. How many of you knew all that? I rest my case.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM

How many have regular 14-2 romex wire barely tucked under some mulch feeding out to a pool pump (OR SOME OTHER 240V USE) with a 30 AMP breaker? 14-2 is only rated for 15 AMPS. Electric in most locations needs to be buried at least two feet down and be of UF cable or in conduit and or both. It depends on local code. I'll be damned if I haven't seen "Jim Dandy" at least once a month do the above. What are we thinking? You big dummy just like Sanford.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 AM

At last, I won this battle. I could/can humiliate you more if you really want it? Nah, you don't need that. I read back over this thread. It was just as I thought it was. A fake somebody who works at McDonald's with a fragile ego who doesn't know d*ck! Guess what? I was right, and now that we have established that, I am smiling. Don't get mad at the guy defending himself. I know you gals get your kicks on it though. Post away, it's all crappola!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 AM

24,629 posts, read 26,560,079 times
I've remodeled two houses, assisted where I couldn't do the work myself. I don't touch electric except for running wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.