U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM

10,348 posts, read 19,190,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, I'm not reading your mind so I'm not following. I guess DIY would be less familiar to folk that aren't DIY'ers? Who knows.
I know what a DIY'er is, lol. My dirty mind was thinking that sometimes when a woman has trouble *you know* she sometimes has to help herself (DIY) to achieve *you know* even while he is having his own little fun. Some guys might feel a little funny about that. Well party time over--y'all carry on.

BTW, I often had to make DIY repairs around the house when I was married b/c my ex was not handy--around the house or *you know*.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I know what a DIY'er is, lol. My dirty mind was thinking that sometimes when a woman has trouble *you know* she sometimes has to help herself (DIY) to achieve *you know* even while he is having his own little fun. Some guys might feel a little funny about that. Well party time over--y'all carry on.
Oh god, you made me laugh out loud so the dog noticed.

Quote:
BTW, I often had to make DIY repairs around the house when I was married b/c my ex was not handy--around the house or *you know*.
Many women do and you're one more example. I don't know if one guy in this thread has made the claim yet.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,533,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
C'mon. The belt was noted in relation to the dryer and that's it. And nobody is "qualified" to fix a belt on a dryer. Just like nobody is qualified to fit a round peg into a round hole. You either do it or not.

No, I will not pay $84 for something I can do. For example, I will pay my neighbor boy to mow my lawn for $20, maybe give him $10 to pick up sticks. That's an hour if he's efficient. But, not for 30 minutes of work. I have a rule not to pay anyone more than I earn unless it's something I cannot or will not do. This has nothing to do with gender, tho. And you still have not presented one example of this DIY'er destroying their home. Or, perhaps, you're simply not presenting examples that I would find silly. I don't doubt that people can be stupid with home repair, but I put the onus on you, based on the other thread, to put up the gender argument.
Well, you should know that most often the gas valve coil packs fail on the gas valve and limit switches more than a belt. I'm not even a dryer man and I know that. You still don't follow me. You cannot buy the supplies or parts. If buy some chance you did coax someone into selling them to you, your warranty is VOID. If you DEFIANTLY cannot buy some tools and Federally restricted products, how are you going to fix or repair it? BTW, you need about $3,000 worth of tools just to get started. No, a Tool-Shop aisle at Menard's won't help you there or the fools that work there. Most of the tools we use are specialty and have to be ordered. A acetylene turbo torch is a basic tool. Propane and MAPP gas will never get hot enough to do what you need it to. The turbo torch gets 5,800 degrees. The head alone will cost you about $200. The B size tank is another $130 MINIMUM. Then you have to have it filled. That's another $35-$40. Ok, congrads, you just bought ONE tool for $365. What about the rest? You'll need a truck full of those tools. How much is it? I don't know for sure. I have about 3K in my required (personal) stuff. The rest is the companies!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 PM

You'll DEFIANTLY need one of these too. The junkers at Lowe's and Menard's don't measure or read microfarads. Another $125. I'm settin' ya up now! Have at it! Fieldpiece HS33 Digital Stick Meter

Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 PM

With that, I'll leave ya with I find chicks who try stuff kinda HOT! Just KNOW when you met your maker is all!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 PM

17,868 posts, read 19,503,864 times
A do it yourselfer?

nah it don't intimidate me.

I don't mind watching at all, so long as I can join in.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Well, you should know that most often the gas valve coil packs fail on the gas valve and limit switches more than a belt. I'm not even a dryer man and I know that. You still don't follow me.
You're full of it. The belt was snapped. I didn't say there was a problem with heating. I clearly stated the drum wasn't moving. So, what's to follow? Honestly, you're trying to make yourself useful here where it's unnecessary.

Quote:
You cannot buy the supplies or parts. If buy some chance you did coax someone into selling them to you, your warranty is VOID.
I went to Natick Appliance in Natick MA. I called around first and found a shop that was open. They sold me a belt, for probably too much, but it was 5pm and I wanted the thing fixed. There was no coaxing. What you're asserting is crazy. And I have no warranty on this dryer since it came with the house. It's as old as the hills. Use a bit of common sense. If I had a newer dryer with a warranty that I purchased, damn straight I'm calling the store where I bought it or the mfg rather than spending time. I'm not a dryer-fixer hobbyist. I'm a DIY'er to save money. And I find your attempts to over-complicate simple dryer repair to be cockamamie.

Quote:
If you DEFIANTLY cannot buy some tools and Federally restricted products, how are you going to fix or repair it?
I don't even know what this means. What federally restricted products am I using?

Quote:
BTW, you need about $3,000 worth of tools just to get started. No, a Tool-Shop aisle at Menard's won't help you there or the fools that work there. Most of the tools we use are specialty and have to be ordered. A acetylene turbo torch is a basic tool. Propane and MAPP gas will never get hot enough to do what you need it to. The turbo torch gets 5,800 degrees. The head alone will cost you about $200. The B size tank is another $130 MINIMUM. Then you have to have it filled. That's another $35-$40. Ok, congrads, you just bought ONE tool for $365. What about the rest? You'll need a truck full of those tools. How much is it? I don't know for sure. I have about 3K in my required (personal) stuff. The rest is the companies!
Again, I don't where this segment of the conversation is coming from. Just to get started with what? Why do you think I would need a torch?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 AM

193 posts, read 416,837 times
Up until a year ago, I was renting and never bothered with DIY. I just called building management. Someone showed up, fixed it and I never saw the cost. But, ever since I bought my home a year ago, I am seeing how much things cost and I am learning to do minor things myself, like fixing my oven door and unclogging the kitchen drain pipe. I have also gotten into interior decorating and repurposing old things and tricking out cheap furniture to make it look unique.

I do know my limits though. Like I grudgingly paid $200 for an exercise bike to be assembled, after trying to figure out if I could DIY. I am glad I didn't try because it took 2 guys 40 minutes and power tools to put the thing together.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You'll DEFIANTLY need one of these too. The junkers at Lowe's and Menard's don't measure or read microfarads. Another $125. I'm settin' ya up now! Have at it! Fieldpiece HS33 Digital Stick Meter
Why do I need that? Maybe if I had your job I'd need it, otherwise I'm not following.
Quote:
With that, I'll leave ya with I find chicks who try stuff kinda HOT! Just KNOW when you met your maker is all!
You think you're someone's maker? And women who try to do stuff? It's not about just trying, but doing. I'm sorry you find it all so challenging. And it's too bad that it ruffles your feathers that I don't. Btw, I don't think for one second that you find it hot. I think it challenges you and it shouldn't. Your self-worth should not be dependent on the talents and faults of others, but what you bring to your own table.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM

16,445 posts, read 19,884,769 times
I'm proud & happy when the ladies in my life have enjoyed doing DIY projects.

Years ago, mostly in California i've bought land, some homes, fixed them up, sold them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.