U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 2,529,682 times
Reputation: 810

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I seem to be missing something here. Why so much belligerence over a simple thread on a simple subject? Are you this combative on every subject?
Live by the sword and die by the sword. I doubt she could handle all the "bad" days...screw ups, cussing, yelling, getting hurt, bleeding, sweating and so on! Just a hunch!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM
 
19,059 posts, read 23,546,504 times
Reputation: 13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Talk your smack to any Pro! You will get the same reply. A $100 says so!
Again, two of my colleagues at work are licensed contractors. They keep their licenses up to date. They happen to be scientists as well. I talk with them about my projects all the time. Actually, when we go out for department lunches somebody will usually ask me what I'm up to now on the home front. They have never chastised me for home repair. It would be nonsensical if they did. When a new >100k instrument arrives in our lab, it's expected that we become experts on it. No licenses. No certs. You spend time on it and learn it. Our dept head does not allow service contracts for repair since they're upwards of 10k a pop. Why would they think home repair is some holy grail not to be touched when I'm working with complicated, technical lab equipment?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 2,529,682 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Good grief, all she did was document how she was able through self-help research and the internet to fix an old dryer and she demonstrated nothing of the "attitude" you seem to have read into her posts here. I must suffer from a major disability where reading comprehension is concerned ... and please don't shout, it hurts my ears.
You missed it. It started YESTERDAY!!!!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
 
19,059 posts, read 23,546,504 times
Reputation: 13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
You missed it. It started YESTERDAY!!!!!
You are the one with the tude. Your argument is that I cannot do home repair because I'm a woman. That was your initial argument, and you're clearly wrong. Now you're argument is that home repair should not be addressed by anyone, but licensed this or that. Well, it is. And then you get insulted for god knows what reason. And really, the whole dryer argument was stupid.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
 
2,726 posts, read 4,863,378 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Live by the sword and die by the sword. I doubt she could handle all the "bad" days...screw ups, cussing, yelling, getting hurt, bleeding, sweating and so on! Just a hunch!
It is not about who can handle what, that is competing against other people. It is about choosing to handle those bad days and not using it to compare yourself with other people. It is about competing with yourself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,003 posts, read 10,908,982 times
Reputation: 19510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Do you think women are innately challenged when it comes to on-hand tasks?
Absolutely not. Most women, if they're not crippled with a fear of failure, due to having been brainwashed about "gender capabilities" are perfectly capable of doing pretty much any and all on-hand tasks! ....Okay, just gonna end it there....LOL
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 2,529,682 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Again, two of my colleagues at work are licensed contractors. They keep their licenses up to date. They happen to be scientists as well. I talk with them about my projects all the time. Actually, when we go out for department lunches somebody will usually ask me what I'm up to now on the home front. They have never chastised me for home repair. It would be nonsensical if they did. When a new >100k instrument arrives in our lab, it's expected that we become experts on it. No licenses. No certs. You spend time on it and learn it. Our dept head does not allow service contracts for repair since they're upwards of 10k a pop. Why would they think home repair is some holy grail not to be touched when I'm working with complicated, technical lab equipment?
No contractor in his right mind would help a person with an attitude such as yours. Too much liability if something went wrong or you got hurt. How do I know that? Your grandfathered comment. Nothing "remodeled" is grandfathered. It's only "grandfathered" if left UNTOUCHED. Once it's been altered in any way, it must pass current inspections. That also mean you need to be pulling a permit for the work as well. If you didn't, you are lucky you didn't get caught. That pic the other day was kinda blurry. I didn't see GFIs in that kitchen. Maybe I missed it, maybe they were there? Anyway, good luck with your INTERNET projects!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 64,722,412 times
Reputation: 26614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Live by the sword and die by the sword. I doubt she could handle all the "bad" days...screw ups, cussing, yelling, getting hurt, bleeding, sweating and so on! Just a hunch!
Why such an assumption? When I fix my own fixes I often end up swearing up a major storm and sometimes hurt, bleeding and definitely sweating and aching as well. Your point remains elusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
You missed it. It started YESTERDAY!!!!!
What did I miss. Yes, the thread started yesterday evening and before I even added my little piece today I read the whole thing (amazing how some contributors do that, don't you think?)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 AM
 
19,059 posts, read 23,546,504 times
Reputation: 13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
No contractor in his right mind would help a person with an attitude such as yours.
I'm very sweet to my colleagues. This attitude IRT this topic is your own perception.

Quote:
Too much liability if something went wrong or you got hurt. How do I know that? Your grandfathered comment. Nothing "remodeled" is grandfathered.
The wiring is grandfathered. Well, according to my inspector when I bought the house. I have not rewired the house.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
14,218 posts, read 27,647,124 times
Reputation: 27539
Most men I've known have been thrilled to see a woman with a tool belt. Especially one who knew how to use the tools!

I've been remodeling houses for years and here's my assessment of women and construction/repair work. I think it takes us longer to do the work. Part of it is strength. We just aren't as strong as men, particularly upper body. We are usually height challenged in comparison to men too. But if we are patient and have the right tools, we can do the work and do an excellent job.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top