Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler;19859996[B
]No contractor in his right mind would help a person with an attitude such as yours. No self-respecting, intelligent D-I-Yer would take an arrogant, pompous contractor, who can't think outside of the box, serious..nor would they ever ask for their advice. [/b] Too much liability if something went wrong or you got hurt. How do I know that? Your grandfathered comment. Nothing "remodeled" is grandfathered. It's only "grandfathered" if left UNTOUCHED. Once it's been altered in any way, it must pass current inspections. That also mean you need to be pulling a permit for the work as well. If you didn't, you are lucky you didn't get caught. That pic the other day was kinda blurry. I didn't see GFIs in that kitchen. Maybe I missed it, maybe they were there? Anyway, good luck with your INTERNET projects!
I have several friends who are pros...I have been offered jobs by 3 of them, even though I have no "professional" licenses or certifications. What I do have is an open mind, common sense and an ability to learn and master ANYTHING. They are equally as repulsed by people who fly off into a hysterical rage when confronted with alternative methods of doing things. Truly intelligent people are wise enough to keep an open mind.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

The wiring is grandfathered. Well, according to my inspector when I bought the house. I have not rewired the house.

Imo, with your sconce light that won't turn off, it's possible a wire has a poor/loose connection, or a bad ground. Could be the switch is defective.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why such an assumption? When I fix my own fixes I often end up swearing up a major storm and sometimes hurt, bleeding and definitely sweating and aching as well. Your point remains elusive.
Agreed. I spend my fair share of time swearing and wanting to pull my hair out at times.

As far as getting hurt goes, it's a bit chicken little imo. Besides the fact that I deal with new chemical entities that cannot touch my skin and a host of organic solvents every day, last year a 4 liter bottle of acetonitrile fell onto my bench, glass everywhere, and the stuff went everywhere. My sneakers melted to the floor. It destroyed the robot next to my bench. That's scary and to the degree where health & chemical safety scooped me up for immediate treatment. Acetonitrile is metabolized in the body into cyanide. The potential dangers at my job are something I deal with everyday. That's why we're in lab coats, wearing gloves, and goggles. Shyte happens, so folk deal the best they can and be as prepared as possible.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most men I've known have been thrilled to see a woman with a tool belt. Especially one who knew how to use the tools!

I've been remodeling houses for years and here's my assessment of women and construction/repair work. I think it takes us longer to do the work. Part of it is strength. We just aren't as strong as men, particularly upper body. We are usually height challenged in comparison to men too. But if we are patient and have the right tools, we can do the work and do an excellent job.
Absolutely! I love that you have been remodeling homes. Good for you! And you are correct. There is a lack of strength and height can get in the way, but we work with what we have and get around it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Turn the Power OFF. With an insulated screwdriver, loosen, then tighten your wire connections.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Being insulted would **** of the wimpiest contractor!

YouTube - ‪Deliverance - Banjo Duel‬‏

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Most men I've known have been thrilled to see a woman with a tool belt. Especially one who knew how to use the tools!

I've been remodeling houses for years and here's my assessment of women and construction/repair work. I think it takes us longer to do the work. Part of it is strength. We just aren't as strong as men, particularly upper body. We are usually height challenged in comparison to men too. But if we are patient and have the right tools, we can do the work and do an excellent job.
Yeah, well there AIN'T any women who do this job. Take that PC statement as you wish. I haven't seen ONE yet!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
When a guy is happy to tell a female DIYer that he is better than she is, something tells me he is not as great as he believes.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
When a guy is happy to tell a female DIYer that he is better than she is, something tells me he is not as great as he believes.
Yes, but his fragile ego can not survive unless he can actually CONVINCE them that he's better at EVERYTHING that she is! As for contractors who would freak out if their ideas were challenged...meh, they're not worth hiring and they're certainly not worthy of the time it would take to ask their opinions on something. They are called "opinions"....not facts.

Big peeve too?...arrogant men who say NO woman could do what they can do. Unless we're talking about getting an erection, followed by the ejaculation of sperm....women can do ANYTHING a man can do. If you are a man and think there is NO woman who can and DOES do what you do, well....you're waving your ignorance like a big ole red flag. Just because you don't KNOW a woman who does what you do, or know OF a woman who does what you do....it doesn't mean that there are NOT women who do what you do. You can bet your sweet hiney that there are probably some women who are actually even BETTER than you are at it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Not to mention that, while doing so, he loudly crows and struts like a banty rooster trying to lord it over a pterosaur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships