Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
There will always be somebody tougher than you and they don't all go into your line of work.
Do you know what he's talking about? Can you break it down for me?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Do you know what he's talking about? Can you break it down for me?
I would be making huge assumptions but I recognize the attitude. He has made poor assumptions against women but at least he hasn't gotten all nasty like other guys have on this forum. He obviously has lived a life many of us do not know.

I think you got really close with this comment:

Quote:
Your self-worth should not be dependent on the talents and faults of others, but what you bring to your own table.
This, you can pretty much find anywhere in the US, rich or poor. Gang-free or gang infested. It really does take a different kind of attitude to see things they way you wrote them here.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I would be making huge assumptions but I recognize the attitude. He has made poor assumptions against women but at least he hasn't gotten all nasty like other guys have on this forum. He obviously has lived a life many of us do not know.

I think you got really close with this comment:

This, you can pretty much find anywhere in the US, rich or poor. Gang-free or gang infested. It really does take a different kind of attitude to see things they way you wrote them here.
Ok, so this is getting esoteric, which I didn't understand and still don't really. The thread wasn't meant to get so deep! Ahh, the net.

To me, DIY mentality isn't about gruff, one-upmanship, or mean anything. It's about being curious, about creating. I guess all in all, it's about art.

But, thank you for explaining, crisan.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Exactly! Puhlease! As for the comments on women's inferior strength and stature...there are some of us who are not challenged in this area. For instance, I am 5'9", large framed and heavily muscled.....from a LIFETIME of hard physical "man" labor...so god, give me a break! As I've said before... I don't "need" my man for anything .....I WANT my man as my partner/companion/friend.
I used to be 5'7" and was always very physically fit and toned throughout my life. Many of the jobs I've had for the last almost 50 years have been relatively sedentary but I was blessed with good genes and inbetween those sedentary jobs I was a horse trainer for several years and even a construction worker for a year or so. Never been to a gym in my life. For the last 15 years I've singlehandedly owned and operated a busy restaurant in a dying building which has needed continuous upkeep - thus my having learned to do so many things myself. And I've survived two major hurricanes here, during one of which my home was without power for six months.

I'm now 65, am probably more like 5'5" tall , and will soon be closing up my restaurant and finding another adventure to pursue. When I heft cases of beers onto the conveyor belt at the supermarket and as I'm hefting them out of my car and into the restaurant to stack them up, I get a chuckle over the young cashiers who have to call for help to move just one case. Thank goodness cellphones are so light ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
That you would be wrong. You get no help doing it as well. Think concrete, cast iron, steel. You have NOTHING but your muscles. Don't bellyache to the boss about it either. He won't buy anything for you to make special accommodations for being too weak.
That's an assumption which duly demonstrates your ignorance and the issue was your contention that you personally without any devices at all can lift 300 lbs. I also doubt that and I very much doubt that an ability to heft 300 lbs solo would be a condition of any job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
The only thing funny in this thread are rants from women would would FORGET to show up!
And this is a highly demeaning and misogynistic comment but, now having read some of your other posts, rather more comprehensible. With all due respect, it seems that you do indeed do a lot of posturing and ranting and rather tend to not think before speaking or writing.

I'm sorry that you're so embittered in so many areas, have such a huge chip on your shoulder, and hope that as time goes on you'll find an understanding in breathing a little and absorbing rather than immediately reacting and going on the attack. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Ok, so this is getting esoteric, which I didn't understand and still don't really. The thread wasn't meant to get so deep! Ahh, the net.

To me, DIY mentality isn't about gruff, one-upmanship, or mean anything. It's about being curious, about creating. I guess all in all, it's about art.

I know and that is why I just hit it on the surface. I could go deep but I realized it is just a waste of time. Not everybody lives competing against other people. Some do but not everybody.

Anyway, guess what? My husband moved the washer and dryer today and we found a leak under the washer. The first thing he said was to buy new machines . I could use that money for something better so now we are going to try to fix it when we come back from vacation.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Well ladies, whatever it is, you can bet they're not lifting 300 lbs manually. Can you imagine the insurance costs? Although OSHA does not specify strict limitations on the amount of weight employees are allowed to lift, you can bet that the company and/or union does. Think about it...L&I repurcussions, etc. I call 100% BS!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I know and that is why I just hit it on the surface. I could go deep but I realized it is just a waste of time. Not everybody lives competing against other people. Some do but not everybody.

Anyway, guess what? My husband moved the washer and dryer today and we found a leak under the washer. The first thing he said was to buy new machines . I could use that money for something better so now we are going to try to fix it when we come back from vacation.
That's what my dh wanted to do when our belt snapped. If you have issues, a CD member (I think his name is theoldman) seems to know about appliances.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Correct. It was the hot wire, which caused the line to bypass the switch to the control panel. It was really my own fault. I had to tape and recap the hot. The issue with the wiring in my home is that it's not threaded, like I would expect to see. Black and white are usually one solid, thick wire. So, I have to make sure to tape it securely. When I first put it in I couldn't find my tape. But, I've fixed it since then and the switch is working.

""It's copper wire, isn't it?""

""I use an appropriate sized wire nut, then tape it with black electricians tape.""

.""Some of the older homes i've seen used solid wire""

Of course, Hawk! And that light is on the other side of the property compared to where the control panel is (back and forth, back and forth). Although, when I had my contractor over doing my ceiling, they put in my ceiling light and did not turn the power off, which I thought was stupid.
Some Journeyman electricians don't bother to shut off the power but i would hate to die from electric shock.

I've seen & heard of power company electricians getting hurt badly, or dying from making an error with electricity. One error & a life could be over.

It's Great you got the problema solved.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:

Exactly!....and frugality, using your noodle and getting exactly what you want, when you want it and have a tremendous sense of accomplishment over your work.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Exactly!....and frugality, using your noodle and getting exactly what you want, when you want it and have a tremendous sense of accomplishment over your work.
It is funny because I never saw myself as frugal. The only thing I recognized was that I was good at spending money but not much else. Now my rule is pretty simple, do I have to buy this or am I just being lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships