Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of online dating and this seems to be a deal breaker for most educated women these days which is most woman on dating sites that aren't free. I myself went back to finish school after many years and now have a college level education (piece of paper that allows me to do my job IMO) so it's not really an issue anymore but many of my friends that don't have a degree seem to get over looked because of this just like I used to. I find it funny because many of them make considerably more money than I do and for the most part they're just as educated. for myself the degree has allowed me to earn a better living doing the same job that I have been doing for years so it has made me some extra $$$ but my loans pretty much cancel that out at this point. It's pretty twisted if you ask me as I feel like I paid a lot of money for the right to earn more money by getting a piece of paper certifying I have an education in an unrelated field
The piece of paper has also really helped my dating life. I still haven't found the one but as far as online dating or getting hooked up threw friends goes suddenly I'm good enough to go out with now.

what's the deal ladies?

Last edited by redfish1; 07-03-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM

406 posts, read 580,595 times
Degrees don't mean much to me. Anyone can get into college and anyone can graduate these days. I've met college graduates that were dumb as stumps.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,356 times
I'm college educated but I don't necessarily expect the same for my partner. What I do expect is for him to be ambitious and be "street-smart". There are considerably smart people out there who don't have a college degree and a lot who do and don't have much going for them. I want someone who is hungry for knowledge and has a lot of drive, someone who keeps up with current affairs and can stimulate me intellectually (and me the same to him), that doesn't necessarily mean he has to have a PhD or anything.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Honestly, I'm not sure how important it would be to me. All the guys that I seriously dated either had a college degree or we were both in college at the time. Almost all of my friends have a college degree. I agree that it's not a measure of intelligence - one of my friends is very intelligent but did not attend college. She still has big regrets over it. However - I do think that college can be a really important part growing up. I certainly learned a lot about myself during college.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
First, lets ignore the discussion on specific degrees (like some girl who wants a guy who really is into current affairs, so a PhD in PolSci would be a big bonus)

Then I think most folk who have graduated collage recognize that to get that far, you had to be reasonably smart, but you also had to work long and hard, you had to learn, you had to learn how to learn, you had to follow instructions, etc. Having a degree, any degree, is a sign that you can be more than a career couch-potato or fries-technician. Not that you ARE, just that you have in the past.

It is a good flag to spot if you are looking around for a SO. Not a guarantee, but a fast and simple clue. Like if they no longer live with there parents. It's not a sure thing, but it is a fast clue that they can support themselves.

I know that as a someone with a BS degree, if I'm looking online and see a profile that shows a woman who "has some HS", I'll probably be way more critical when I look at their other info. Maybe they have a reason, and are very successful and would be a good match - but the odds are the reverse and I will act accordingly. Likewise if I see a profile saying they have a full degree, I'll know that not only did they Talk the Talk, but they Walked the Walk.

(PS: please don't flame me with individual examples of the above being incorrect, I said above that I'm talking about odds, in general, typically, not applying to every single exact specific case - you got it??)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:30 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
The old adage of a "Degree is what you make of it" comes to mind here. It's really tough to say whether how much of a positive or negative influence it can have on a person.

That being said, airing on the side of caution, I'd probably prefer a woman to have it. Speaking from personal experience, I have definately met a number of those with college degrees that it didn't appear to help them out all that much--but I can almost say just about every woman that I do know without one, always seems to have an insurmountable amount of baggage (kids early in life, a laundry list of menial jobs and a HS mentality.)

The women that I do know that have them who were changed for the better tend to be more "mature" focused and dedicated.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
I tend to think that college keeps a lot of people from growing up. we get 22-25 year old college grads in my workplace every so often and they tend to be quite a bit less mature than employess there age with a few years expierence in the workforce or employees with former military expierence.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm a big believer in education.

That being said, I'm not all that impressed with degrees. It seem like if you show up, put in a modest level of effort you can get a degree, it doesn't say on said sheepskin if you squeaked by barely making C's or if you got straight A's.

Most of the younger people in my industry that have a degree seem to have a major major entitlement mentality.

All a degree shows to me, is that you are "able" to learn.

The real learning goes on continuously. At least in my industry.

I also think fluffy degree like poli sci or liberal arts are a complete waste of time, you can learn all of the same stuff on your own time and save a boat load of money in the process.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
LOL. a lot of people are going to say that it doesn't matter, but my thoughts are that people will think you're stupid or question you a lot about it if you don't have one. It's expected, because EVERYONE gets into college and most everyone these days gets a degree.

I'd be more impressed with a trade skill.. at least then they'll always have a marketable skill.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
If I was looking to hire an engineer a degree would matter. As a dating criteria? Pffffftttt! I guess all these college educated women that need an online profile to get a date can have all of the nit picky requirements in the world, but there is a reason they don't already have a man......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships