Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times

Advertisements

Hmm. These are all interesting responses. So people lie about themselves all the time. That sucks. Even if I know to stay away from Match.com, I was actually considering joining this one CF dating site. The only problem with a lot of CFers is that many of them are hostile towards Christians. I guess I'll just have to try various sites or just go the old fashion way. The only place I don't wanna meet someone besides Match.com is a bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Hmm. These are all interesting responses. So people lie about themselves all the time. That sucks. Even if I know to stay away from Match.com, I was actually considering joining this one CF dating site. The only problem with a lot of CFers is that many of them are hostile towards Christians. I guess I'll just have to try various sites or just go the old fashion way. The only place I don't wanna meet someone besides Match.com is a bar.
There is one called Christiansingles.net...not like they're any different from any dating site.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
One of my biggest complaints about online dating is people aren't really honest with who they are or what they want.
They say they like to travel, but when you ask them about places they've been, they can't come up with an answer or say they haven't been anywhere!
They say they like restaurants and soical activities, but when you ask them what restaurants they like, they can't come up with a single restaurant or place they like to go.
They say they are active and outgoing, but when you ask them what they like to do, they say "Oh, I don't really do much", or "I work all the time", etc, etc.

Do you see the idea? When I had my profile, I listed things I honestly did, and I answered a contact request because when I read that person's profile, I thought we had things in common! Boy, was I wrong. That's why I no longer will do online dating, just too many disappointments. At least when you meet someone in person, you can talk about your interests right away, instead of going through the trouble of making a profile, posting a pic, trying to meet, yadda, yadda, yadda, only to be let down!!

Correct!! We need to go out drinking together!! LOL

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
Sounds good to me! I love Miami!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Correct!! We need to go out drinking together!! LOL

Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
I still think that meeting people face-to-face, you still have a better chance of getting to know their interests. Online, yes, people will lie or embellish themselves to "get what they want", but don't they know that in doing that, and this great person who genuinely wants to meet them based on things like appearance and common interests, will be so disappointed when they find out none of it was accurate? then they get "dumped" anyway???
Why lie? just write things about yourself that are true, and if someone else has the same interests, then great, if not, move on. I guess my standards are way too high? , I just expect honest information, that's all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
My biggest complaint about on-line dating sites is that people who use them, for some bizare reason, seem to think that the other people who use them will magically become honest, forthright, communicative, and fully open.

Nope

People are people. Some will say anything, to get them what they want.
People will act the same in a bar, on-line, or in the produce section of the grocery store.

Just because the on-line sites have age filters, won't keep people from lying about their age, etc.

Now if only we could find an on-line site that had a mandatory hook-up peripheral lie-detector for profile responses!!

(And by the way, I use several on-line dating sites, as they are just one more possible way to find someone - but I don't mislead myself that they tap into any pool of people different than regular folk).

Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 AM

206 posts, read 768,270 times
my experience has been terribly underwhelming so far. most guys it seems are out for a quick one night stand and get sexual very quick. other times people falsify very obvious facts; the first guy i met off of okcupid said on his profile that he was 5'8. in person he was more 5'4. and then there is the fact that everyone i have met from that site have been socially awkward on some level. there is a reason someone resorts to the internet to find dates- and it usually isn't positive factors that lead them that way.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM

223 posts, read 166,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Because they aren't really writing a profile, they are writing a brag sheet. They think if they say the right trendy things, they will snag someone. They don't want to admit they have been struggling and haven't been on a vacation for years and they've had to cut a lot of corners to survive.

I found there are various types on those sites. Some are just jokers poking fun at others. Some are just trying to see who they can get interested in them. But there is a huge snide factor.

I put my basic interests, but we all know none of us are laundry lists of things, we are more complex than that. And people write us off simply because we don't fit some kind of criteria. I always feel if I want to get to know someone, I write to them, see if they are open, and take it from there. Many don't write back. Then you have the men who are 65 looking for a 25 year old. Some have been online for years. It is so silly. Then the marrieds. I read somewhere, and I don't know where they got the statistic, that 75% of those on online dating are married. It makes sense to me, with what I have encountered. In fact, I had a guy tell me he was married and that he was "upfront about it"...I think some people are nuts.
How many women on these sites are married, do you think?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM

223 posts, read 166,416 times
The defects of the singles sites are planned that way and they have the owner/operator smiling because the singles sites are part of the singles industry and if these sites get you married, then you don't come back again and BOOM! goodbye singles industry.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
In my experience you get out of it what you put in. People lie on their profiles all the time, just like in real life. When you are online, you would have a huge advantage if you learned how to read subtext. If someone says they're active and outgoing, but ll of their pictures were taken with a cell phone in the bathroom mirror, they are probably not telling the truth. It's relatively easy to spot the "embellishers" if you put some effort into being a bit perceptive. I also found that the pay sites generally have a higher quality pool of people, but you'll still get the weirdos (much like in real life).

You've also got be selective when online dating. If you fall for every guy who claims to be 6'2" and says he loves long walks on the beach you're in for a lot of disappointment. I always used to avoid women that used too many cliches in their profiles because if they have to resort to cliches there's a good chance they are not being totally honest.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
I don't think it's the best thing, but why not try it if you have free time?

You have to be careful though, I once met a woman who turned out to be a good 30lbs heavier than in her profile pics! Now I'm a guy who likes thickness in the right places but jeez....we hung out for a bit and had a really good, humorous conversation but there was just no attraction there.
My solution to this? Try to Facebook friend your potential date so you can see recent photos. Do I follow this 100% of the time? No, but I should!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships