Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think I'm really lucky! I've always thought I wasn't attractive enough - so it's never really mattered to me if people compliment me since I'll never see what they see when they look at me. Plus, I'm really, really silly and quirky. I'm also very clutzy. So - yes - there have been guys that have been only interested in my looks - but the minute I open my mouth or fall down some stairs - they usually lose interest! I mean - I still get treated nicely at restaurants and stuff like that - but the "hot" guys who approach me or hit on me because they think I'm a "hot" girl usually end up running in the opposite direction! I may be attractive on the oustside but on the inside, I'm a total nerd! And proud of it!
Oh my ...I'm the same way! I'm not bragging about my looks nor do I think I'm the most beautiful thing on the planet, but I think I'm "ok". My body developed way too quickly and throughout the years I've been approached by men looking for only something physical. When I was younger and didn't know any better, I thought they were interested in me. As soon as they get to know me and how "nerdy" and reserved I really am, they lose interest. I think in their heads, they associate a certain look and physical aspect with a certain personality, and in my case it didn't match up. I don't care though because I can easily weed out those men who are looking for only one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
I was an ugly duckling reject and while that was not fun, I am now thankful for it. It has taught me not to rely on beauty and not to value superficial attentions by men. I received plenty of superficial attentions when I came of age but was already wary because of the negative attention received earlier in life. I see some beautiful girls waste their brains and talent because they are used to getting by on looks alone and I do not envy them.

And yes, guys are initially more eager to have sex with whatever catches their eye. But if you want a relationship there has to be some more substance behind it than looks.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Oh my ...I'm the same way! I'm not bragging about my looks nor do I think I'm the most beautiful thing on the planet, but I think I'm "ok". My body developed way too quickly and throughout the years I've been approached by men looking for only something physical. When I was younger and didn't know any better, I thought they were interested in me. As soon as they get to know me and how "nerdy" and reserved I really am, they lose interest. I think in their heads, they associate a certain look and physical aspect with a certain personality, and in my case it didn't match up. I don't care though because I can easily weed out those men who are looking for only one thing.
I think this is somewhat comparable to how some women may lose interest in men once they find out they have a not-so-attractive job, an old beat up car, make less than them, etc. Then again you’ll have a few women out there who will be totally fine about dating the nice guy who happens to be, say, a waiter. Or some guys who will still find a nerdy girl attractive.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
My body developed too quickly, too! I was too embarassed by my "assets" to use them. For years, I tried to keep them as hidden as possible!

I'm also good at weeding out the guys who are only looking for one thing. One of my friends - who is a beautiful, tall, blonde, was telling me about this one guy that crushed her. They only dated for a short while but she couldn't understand how he could break up with her since he had told her that she was the woman of his dreams. I asked her when he told her that - and she said the night that she had met him. I couldn't believe that this smart, beautiful woman would fall for a line like that. How could this guy possibly know anything about her except that she was hot if they had just met. When guys have said stuff like that to me - I'm always like - Oh please! It's nice to know that guys think I'm attractive - but it's the guys that notice that I'm funny and intelligent that I've always been interested in.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 37,635 times
Quote:
I think in their heads, they associate a certain look and physical aspect with a certain personality, and in my case it didn't match up. .
This is exactly why I started the thread. You summarized it perfectly.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
It seems that many men see a certain look and assume things about the woman with that look. I want a guy to get to know me, not the outside or the wrapping of the package, but the woman that thinks, breathes, and dreams inside that wrapping. So, sometimes it is not a blessing, unless you meet the right type of man.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I can't see how being beautiful would be a curse. It just gives you more opportunities and options. It's up to the individual to make good choices.

Even average and ugly women have been duped by men just for sex.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Natural beauty?

I'd have to say it's a blessing.

But that doesn't mean that every guy's going to throw themselves at you. I've never done that before.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
lol anyone calling it a curse is a fool

Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Don't misunderstand - I don't think it's a curse but I believe that you can make it a curse if you think that being beautiful is all that you are good for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships