Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

Sounds like friendship to me.

19 years is too much. I would still be ready to run when he needed geriatric care. A good friend of mine has a simple rule for dating.

I won't be a nurse or a purse.

Works well for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
All depends on the age range: Middle of the road 30 yo with a youthful 49 yo of either sex doesn't sound so odd. When I was 30 I had a thing for a 48 yo admin in my office. She looked soo good! I ran into her when I was out to lunch last month. she is now 58 and she still looked soo good! I was wondering what she looked like and was imagining that she didn't age well cause she was a sun goddess, I was wrong!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz363 View Post
If you found a really nice man, who has a great personality but is way older than you are, will you refrain yourself from a relationship due to age or go ahead??? If you like him and enjoy his company but still don't feel a physical attraction but a spiritual attraction instead??? Tell me what you guys think???

I wouldn't date any man that I felt no physical attraction for. I would be his friend, but I would not have a relationship. Why would I want to pretend something I didn't feel?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM

235 posts, read 837,338 times
Don't underestimate the generation gap, either. Different generations will see the world from different perspectives, and it won't change over time either. The age difference between my parents is 13 years, and it was 19 years between my mother's parents. I asked Mom once, "Is it true that as the years go by, the age difference between spouses becomes less of a big deal?" She burst out laughing and said "No!"

It's like the reverse of that "mindset" list that comes out every year from Beloit (The Mindset List).

The highlight of his life might have been disco and seeing Ronald Reagan get elected. Anything happening in popular culture since the fall of the Berlin Wall might've never been on his radar... So attitudes and information that you take as common knowledge, he'd be totally in the dark about. He's never seen an episode of Oprah, or a Quentin Tarantino movie. He not only missed Goth, he missed Grunge. Don't ask him what he thinks about Wikileaks. He still mails paper envelopes to pay his bills every month. He assumes you will be all too thrilled to take over the cooking, cleaning and laundry on his behalf. He won't understand why you care about the environment, and he won't understand why you don't care when he rambles on about his favourite Paul Newman movies.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
No way in hell. Similarly, I would date someone who was 19 years younger than me, either...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz363 View Post
If you found a really nice man, who has a great personality but is way older than you are, will you refrain yourself from a relationship due to age or go ahead??? If you like him and enjoy his company but still don't feel a physical attraction but a spiritual attraction instead??? Tell me what you guys think???
I doubt I could date someone that much older. It's too bad though because much older men sure seem to like me.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
I believe that love can be blind... spiratual is not enough. Just 10 years is a big gap and if you aren't sexually drawn to him... it will be a very hard road. You might think it isn't important now but you will be his "care giver" in the very near future and if you are very much in love... that shouldn't matter... just keep that in mind because it is a reality unfortunately.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
If she's hot, I would =)

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I believe that love can be blind... spiratual is not enough. Just 10 years is a big gap and if you aren't sexually drawn to him... it will be a very hard road. You might think it isn't important now but you will be his "care giver" in the very near future and if you are very much in love... that shouldn't matter... just keep that in mind because it is a reality unfortunately.
You never know... My latest ex (as many others) is 20 years older than I am. Now I'm ill and he's pursuing the next "perfection."

Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
You ask because you know its wrong.

No, its not ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships