Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
The IRS takes privacy very seriously. Everything an employee does is subject to monitoring. Anyone browsing around will be caught and terminated. Gone. Manager can't help them, union can't help them, 30 years of perfect service can't help them.
The IRS is whom I trust with my social security number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,907,951 times
Great question. And I would like to help all of you ladies that need to figure this out prior to dating a guy.

To start.

On the first date, figure out if he at least has a college degree, and casually inquire into what his parents did for a living, which will give you an indication as to whether or not they paid for his education (which would mean he does not have any college loans, which would direct more of his resorces towards paying them off instead of spending it on you).

Once you have determined that, and what kind of job he has, work yur way over the course of the first couple of weeks into finding out if he has any kids from a previous woman (the child support will indirectly affect his ability to support you and give you cash and prizes once you tell him you love him.)

During this inital financial discovery phase, make note of multiple other factors such as type of car he drives, zip code that he lives in (by now you will know if he owns his house or is renting - and a rough search through a website like Zillow will give you enough information on the house to know when he bought it, current value and comparables in the surrounding area.) Hey, it could be your house someday, or at least half of it.

Once you have given him the prize between your legs, he will feel secure adn take you on a couple of trips. Now comes the real test: are they weekends in Vegas or the real deal like Cabo San Lucas or Fiji. His choice of location will give you an approximation of his present and future abilities to pay for things you want. Begin assesing calculations of other relevant net worth and asset based variables such as types of restaurants that he takes you to and make sure that your relationship is long enough to include either one of your birthdays or Christmas which will give an indication of his willingness to buy you things.

In the adavanced stage of this accounting process known as Operation: Is This Guy Worthy of Me, start hanging around his house to have the opportunity to come across a W-2, any mutual fund or stock statements, etc, etc or to find an ATM reciept that shows the balance of the last account he took money out of. Some other indicators that can be factored into the equation might be, is he drinking Heineken or PBR, does he have landscapers take care of his lawn or is he out there pushing a $200 mower from Home Depot.

All of this is very important, even more so for you girls in your mid 30s with the clock running out to find the right financial sacrificial lamb to support the life you have always wanted and dreamed of. In addition, once you have determined he meets your financial requirments and needs - it will be necessary to figure out if he is in fact dumb and clueless enough to incorporate you into his life and start spending it all on you. If he has low self esteem or has never done well with women, its a no brainer that you can lock him in and put him under your spell long enough to get a rind and everything else.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
College degree with thousands in student loans? What about a job that has nothing to do with the degree?

Even if the parents had money, they may have not paid for him.

What about scholarship? grants? employer tuition reimbursements?

I don't think the car would matter much? Is it paid or not?

He could be screwed if he is does not do a pre-nup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Great question. And I would like to help all of you ladies that need to figure this out prior to dating a guy.

To start.

On the first date, figure out if he at least has a college degree, and casually inquire into what his parents did for a living, which will give you an indication as to whether or not they paid for his education (which would mean he does not have any college loans, which would direct more of his resorces towards paying them off instead of spending it on you).

Once you have determined that, and what kind of job he has, work yur way over the course of the first couple of weeks into finding out if he has any kids from a previous woman (the child support will indirectly affect his ability to support you and give you cash and prizes once you tell him you love him.)

During this inital financial discovery phase, make note of multiple other factors such as type of car he drives, zip code that he lives in (by now you will know if he owns his house or is renting - and a rough search through a website like Zillow will give you enough information on the house to know when he bought it, current value and comparables in the surrounding area.) Hey, it could be your house someday, or at least half of it.

Once you have given him the prize between your legs, he will feel secure adn take you on a couple of trips. Now comes the real test: are they weekends in Vegas or the real deal like Cabo San Lucas or Fiji. His choice of location will give you an approximation of his present and future abilities to pay for things you want. Begin assesing calculations of other relevant net worth and asset based variables such as types of restaurants that he takes you to and make sure that your relationship is long enough to include either one of your birthdays or Christmas which will give an indication of his willingness to buy you things.

In the adavanced stage of this accounting process known as Operation: Is This Guy Worthy of Me, start hanging around his house to have the opportunity to come across a W-2, any mutual fund or stock statements, etc, etc or to find an ATM reciept that shows the balance of the last account he took money out of. Some other indicators that can be factored into the equation might be, is he drinking Heineken or PBR, does he have landscapers take care of his lawn or is he out there pushing a $200 mower from Home Depot.

All of this is very important, even more so for you girls in your mid 30s with the clock running out to find the right financial sacrificial lamb to support the life you have always wanted and dreamed of. In addition, once you have determined he meets your financial requirments and needs - it will be necessary to figure out if he is in fact dumb and clueless enough to incorporate you into his life and start spending it all on you. If he has low self esteem or has never done well with women, its a no brainer that you can lock him in and put him under your spell long enough to get a rind and everything else.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Just asking what he does for a living doesn't provide enough information a lot of the time. I dated a man who was loaded beyond belief for over three years. He didn't tell me his job title until many dates in and even then I had no clue what it was when he told me. I'm convinced even the internet doesn't have a good grasp of what he does, as when I put the job title in google the average salaries given for the position are WAY lower than what a certified person for this position actually makes. Even to this day when I tell people what he does for a living they are like "Huh? Whats that? What field is that in? How much does it pay? Does it take a college degree?" lol.

Always remember too that just because a man has money doesn't mean he will pamper his girlfriend with it.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,213 times
Ask him about his job. You can have an idea of his income from this.

Watch how he spends money -- does he comparison shop and look for things on sale, or just buy the first thing he sees? Is he impulsive with money or does he analyze his purchases? This gives you an idea of whether he's a saver or not.

Be careful about assuming too much with tangential questions. One gold-digging chick I was dating was asking stuff like how much I paid for auto insurance for all my cars and other similar questions. She was using this to determine if I'm rich or not and whether I was truthful about what I drove. I told her the amount, but it was much lower than what she expected for the cars I own. So she assumed I was lying. Whereas in reality, I'm just a good driver and know how to find inexpensive auto insurance. Dumb gold digger

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 AM

143 posts, read 377,898 times
First off, I would like to place a put a disclaimer here. I have never chased after guys who are "money". I am not a gold digger. Below is my assessment of what girls I've observed have done to find guys who have money, along with my personal experiences dealing with money and relationship matters. I have no plans on having a guy support me. I have spent years invested in my career to stay home and bake cookies. However, if I was a girl out looking for a good provider....

I would say that a girl can do an initial screening of the guy's income earning potential based on income prospects. Is he 30 and still flipping burgers and working temp jobs? Is he 25 and working in investment banking?

If the guy passes the initial screening, a girl out to get a big provider should start to recognize what type of spender the guy is. Frugal? Spendthrift? Generous? Stingy? A picture of the guy's financial situation should start to appear.

If the relationship is close, the guy will let slip his financial dealings at random points in the conversation (student loans? credit card debt?). Did the guy mention he had a full scholarship? Did he complain about his credit card debt he's still paying off five years after graduation from college?

An oft overlooked aspect is the family. If the parents are well off, their financial status could influence the guy. My fiance's parents are relatively well off. I did not know this when I first met him. However, as we've progressed in our relationship, his parents have offered financial assistance at convienent times (wedding, unexpected repair jobs etc). This will also contribute to the guy's bottom line in the future as he may stand to inherit some serious change.

Bottom line is, one can get a decent picture of what type of provider a man can be based on his job, his spending habits and any explanation of outstanding debt. However, the only way to know for sure is to look at the tax return and financial statements. But, if those things aren't immediately available, it's still not too hard to figure out where the guy stands financially.

Of course, it behooves any young couple to not talk about finances. My fiance and I have spoken about money on occasion. However, our spending habits and financial situation are so similar (we are both in the same field) that the finances have never been a point of contention. I am grateful for this, but we both plan on doing a serious discussion of finances, including comparison of our respective debt and assets prior to marriage.

As another poster pointed out, finances will influence you more than many other single things you may share with your SO. It's also the top reason for divorce. My SO and I want our marriage to last. A serious talk about finances----even though we both believe we know each other's financial dealings----is an important step to marriage.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Lol, and if she is does not enough money on her. She will call him cheap and leave her.

Finance should be one of the first conversations if you are looking for a real serious relationship.
i agree that finance is very important. i don't think it should be one of the first conversations you have, though.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i agree that finance is very important. i don't think it should be one of the first conversations you have, though.
Why not? It's the number one cause of fights amongst couples...and why would you want to progress into the relationship without finding out these key pieces of information?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The meals are disposable items which means he is worth less and less after spending. Is he living paycheck to paycheck after that?

The vehicle is a depreciable item? Also, did he pay cash for that car?
Clothes does not mean much. So what if he has a high earning job?
Disposable items or not you still need SOME money to enjoy those things in life. If a guy is able to buy/lease a flashy sports car, live in that luxurious condo in downtown, take vacations many times a year, take a girl to fancy restaurants, etc. he must have SOME money in his pockets and women will notice that and be all over him.

I can understand your point of the guy lived in a luxurious condo in downtown but drove an ugly beat up car and never went out with his friends because he didn’t have money but came out with excuses to hide that fact. Or if he drove that flashy sports car but lived in a bad part of town in a small place and so on.

Quote:
He could be screwed if he is does not do a pre-nup.
If women go out with a rich man and things get serious, I wonder how they would feel if that man asked for a pre-nup. Not sure if Anne Nicole Smith would have continued to see that billionaire if he asked to marry her with a pre-nup.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why not? It's the number one cause of fights amongst couples...and why would you want to progress into the relationship without finding out these key pieces of information?
i think it is bad taste to discuss your finances with someone when you first meet them. I also think it is bad taste to ask someone else about their financial habits.

it's like hygiene.. just because it is important doesn't mean it's acceptable to ask about another person's habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships