Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,240 times

Advertisements

It comes from you being affected by your parents. If your parents didnt have a good relationship, or you didn't have a good relationship with them during ur childhood. In your adulthood you may struggle with having good rellationships.

You want a relationship because that is what life is, reproducing. Life started with self replicating bacteria. Life is still all about replication. Even though now we have contraceptives or sexless marriages or whatever, the driving force is for people to be with other people in a partnership manner. 1000 years later this will still be true.

Even in sweden, though they dont marry, people still commonly cohabitate and have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,440,891 times
If you're independent having a relationship may not be what you want or should have. A relationship forces you to think about someone outside of yourself.

Usually one is fulfilled when they realize that they can stand on their own alone, feel good in their own skin, and they don't require a relationship to feel complete.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,613,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy5oul View Post
Thanks everyone I feel much better today than I did last night. It was just a mopey night all around.
Sometimes you're the ball, sometimes the bat.

Quote:
I just watch mindless, mundane stuff to give my mind a break from school.
OK - I was close, but I like my shots clean.

Quote:
I've gone through a major life change in the past year. School is restructuring my thought process. I'm in a constant state of flux and growth. I know this and question whether I should even attempt a relationship when I'm growing and changing at a rate akin to a toddler. I also question whether a marriage is what I want. I will have a career that will take a lot of my time and energy and I'm just not sure that I'm going to want to "make" time for a relationship. I'm glad you found what you were looking for though.
Points to you for the realization. Now DO something about it.

Quote:
I'm just having some trouble figuring out why I want a relationship on one level and don't on another? Is it because society tells us we aren't "complete" without another person? Are some people better suited to single life? How many people get married and/or have children because they feel like they "should" and not because they want that life?

/deep thoughts.
So many posts on this - and other - forums are just opinions. Public opinion can be swayed by the right use of levers. One of the levers they use is shame, as in "Shame on you for not dating yet! Shame on you for not being barefoot, pregnant and married!"

When you know the enemies' tools, you can turn those tools against them.

The answer I think is to know yourself so well that you automatically take the right action at the right time, or not at all. Either choice should be generated from YOU, not from your environment.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,534,779 times
Quote:
any one guilty of this?

i came to this realization tonight... i've teetered on the edge of it before and others have suggested to me that i do this, but i kind of decided tonight that it's true. i either choose men who are not long-term material, that have some flaw (cheaters, liars, PTSD, commitmentphobe, ex-drama, do something i could never live with, like smoke) or that i react/behave subconsciously in ways that drive men away.

my realization tonight was that part of me, deep down, is codependent, just like my mother, and that the rest of me realizes this and chases away or chooses poorly in an effort not to repeat her poor choices.

Date men and not boys.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,260,580 times
Quote:
any one guilty of this?

i came to this realization tonight... i've teetered on the edge of it before and others have suggested to me that i do this, but i kind of decided tonight that it's true. i either choose men who are not long-term material, that have some flaw (cheaters, liars, PTSD, commitmentphobe, ex-drama, do something i could never live with, like smoke) or that i react/behave subconsciously in ways that drive men away.

my realization tonight was that part of me, deep down, is codependent, just like my mother, and that the rest of me realizes this and chases away or chooses poorly in an effort not to repeat her poor choices.

Maybe there is some part of you that feels you are not worthy of the love of a good man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships