Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

Dr. Neil Clark Warren: On Second Thought, Don't Get Married

A surprisingly lucid and familiar article from the founder of eHarmony ... It's long, but I recommend it to anyone getting ready to marry as well as any just downright snoopy people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
eHarmony sux anyway

ETA: very impressive article...thx for providing the link Phil!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,422 times
I agree, having messed up several times. One should simply adopt this rule. If I want to marry you now and I love you, If it's the real thing, I will still feel this way in a year or so, so I will wait.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
eHarmony sux anyway

ETA: very impressive article...thx for providing the link Phil!
Heh - it first caught my eye because eHarmony was the first and only online service I ever used.

It ended ... not so well. I guess maybe I'm better live than online.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
[i]nspiring marriages don't happen by accident. They require highly informed and carefully reasoned choices. Commitment and hard work are factors too. But after decades of working with a few thousand well-intended and hardworking married people, I've become convinced that 75 percent of what culminates in a disappointing marriage -- or a great marriage -- has far less to do with hard work and far more to do with partner selection based on "broad-based compatibility." It became clear to me that signs which were predictive of the huge differences between eventually disappointing and ultimately great marriages were obvious during the premarital phase of relationships.
I wonder whether it would help to have more pressure to go through premarital counseling.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I wonder whether it would help to have more pressure to go through premarital counseling.
Not from abstinent counselors, it wouldn't be.

It's like asking a Buddhist monk for directions to Studio 54.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Thanks for sharing that link, Phil.
I agree with what the article said. Too many couples get married too quickly, for the wrong reasons.

I read somewhere that the device of marriage exists to provide 2 things to society in general: Conserving capital and insuring the welfare of children.
Keep in mind I'm talking just about social requirements and needs, and have dodged any discussion about religious rules and wishes.

Since mature adults should have the wisdom to provide for the first without additionally requiring a contract of marriage, and society seems to want to assume some (if not most) responsibility) for the latter, then marriage as a social tool seems to be of limited use.

What other reasons are there to motivate the actual civil procedure of marriage?
(Certainly not to impose a stability on the emotional commitment between two adults, as that is both ridiculous and foredoomed - just look at the divorce statistics)

Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is just one source, but it apparently it does. I didn't read through it entirely so maybe it could be that those who seek premarital counseling are better prepared for marriage in the first place.

USATODAY.com - Premarital education could cut divorce rate, survey finds

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Quote:
Bad marriages don't just happen to bad people. They mostly happen to good people who are not good for each other.
... and ...
Quote:
And inspiring marriages don't happen by accident. They require highly informed and carefully reasoned choices. Commitment and hard work are factors too. ... 75 percent of what culminates in a disappointing marriage -- or a great marriage -- has far less to do with hard work and far more to do with partner selection based on "broad-based compatibility."
These two quotes are the key to this article, and it's what I've been saying for many years. Working at relationships isn't going to do much good if you're not compatible to begin with - it may help in some cases, but usually just delays the inevitable. There's almost no work involved in my relationship, for example, yet we both see it as great.

Knowing what compatibility consists of and seeking it from the very beginning is essential. And, it works!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elway View Post
This is just one source, but it apparently it does. I didn't read through it entirely so maybe it could be that those who seek premarital counseling are better prepared for marriage in the first place.

USATODAY.com - Premarital education could cut divorce rate, survey finds
Premarital education--I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships