Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On the other hand, it sucks having nobody to blame for your decisions...
Yeah, it hurts to pull on those big-boy pants sometimes.

At least I'm not stubborn either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
At least I'm not stubborn either.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
My father was a reluctant mentor. He'd talk to me when I was in trouble or if I really reached out. Throughout my teen years and early twenties I befriended guys who were often retirement age, and they offered a lot of solid advice and counsel. Unfortunately, I was too young and hardheaded to heed most of it, but I still learned a lot through them. There's been no one for the past 15 years, and I find I'm not really in need at this point. I'm in a place where I really need to just make some difficult choices and deal with the consequences. No amount of mentoring is going to cushion the blow.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Default Sorry to hear that Cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My father was a reluctant mentor. He'd talk to me when I was in trouble or if I really reached out. Throughout my teen years and early twenties I befriended guys who were often retirement age, and they offered a lot of solid advice and counsel. Unfortunately, I was too young and hardheaded to heed most of it, but I still learned a lot through them. There's been no one for the past 15 years, and I find I'm not really in need at this point. I'm in a place where I really need to just make some difficult choices and deal with the consequences. No amount of mentoring is going to cushion the blow.
I've reached the cross roads myself in my life and difficult... GEEZ... for sure... these decissions, even if someone gives you their advice... in the end you're the one that has to deal with the consequnces... Good luck in yours... I hope I do as well with my decissions...

Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Sounds like a VERY familiar pattern, Bro. Just substitute "20 years" for "15" and there I am.

My Dad passed when I was 12, so I didn't get much of that wisdom. That's why I went looking for it that year.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
I only wish I had a mentor career-wise so he/she can guide me and offer good advice, it would make things much easier. In the other sense, no, and it's not really necessary as I think the best way to learn in life is to go through all its knocks and suffering yourself, otherwise it wouldn't mean anything. But I guess it is nice to have someone older give you well-needed advice from time to time.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
I never really had a proper mentor nor a positive role model.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Never did. I suppose having a thoughtful, wise one would have helped me or just about anyone in general.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I have two professors from college and a next door neighbor. All female. Told me what's up and what to do in situations. Two were great artist.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Thanks Raena77 for reminding me of my professors! I almost said no until I thought of them. Oh definitely! My department professors from my college are my mentors. They gave me great Wisdom! I miss them dearly. Oh yeah, I did also have a friend who I consider her to my mentor even though she was only 2-3 years older. She moved so we haven't contact since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships