Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,920,605 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get your opinions on this.

I believe buying a drink some random woman you meet in a bar is not a good idea. The idea behind it is that you're just trying to get something from the woman (in this case, her time). By buying a drink for a stranger, a guy is seeking approval from her. As if her time is worth more than yours
I'm not a woman but this seems like VERY unattractive behavior.

Doing nice things for your SO is great! But why for a complete stranger?

I think the same principle is behind complimenting a random woman. By doing so, you're not being sincere. Just trying to gain her approval and another instance of putting someone on a pedestal.

I know both of these approaches work sometimes, but they don't seem like very good actions. Women: if this has/does work on you, why? Men:what do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,683,521 times
Honest answer: it depends on what the guy who's buying looks like. If he is fugly, the drink will not be well received. If he is handsome or really polished, it will be.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,284,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

I believe buying a drink some random woman you meet in a bar is not a good idea. The idea behind it is that you're just trying to get something from the woman (in this case, her time). By buying a drink for a stranger, a guy is seeking approval from her. As if her time is worth more than yours

I think the same principle is behind complimenting a random woman. By doing so, you're not being sincere. Just trying to gain her approval and another instance of putting someone on a pedestal.

I know both of these approaches work sometimes, but they don't seem like very good actions. Women: if this has/does work on you, why? Men:what do you think about this?
But that is how it goes normally. Generally speaking, it is men who take the approach, the initiative, etc. and therefore buying her a drink seems to be the norm in that kind of environment. When it comes to dating, same thing. If the couple becomes steady, gone out for a couple of months or years, passed the initial stages, or are married, a woman will maybe be more likely to start reciprocating like splitting the tip or something. Sexist or not, that's how it seems to go specially in western countries.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,147,977 times
The same goes for girls buying guys drinks. If she's not that attractive, then it won't be well-received.

I had a demoralizing experience this weekend. I saw a cute guy and I ended up buying him a drink, hoping that we could strike up some conversation. He ended up thanking me for the drink but telling me point blank that he wasn't interested and, even though I seemed like a nice person, he wasn't attracted to me.

It really depends on the person's level of attraction to you.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,285,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

When I meet a female stranger at a night spot and we are having a good time, if I decide to get another drink, I always offer to get one for her too. A lot of people say you should never buy drinks for girls. In my opinion as long as you're not doing it to compensate for something it will not be looked at as just seeking her approval, but rather accomodating.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,284,702 times
Shouldn't buy a drink expecting her to do backflips for you just because you did that either. Why not simply approach her and start a conversation without buying her anything?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM

977 posts, read 1,816,327 times
I don't understand why anyone would buy a stranger girl (or guy) a drink. Just walk up and talk to them, jeez. Same with complimenting them. Plus I'm cheap, ain't no way I'm spending a few bucks for drinks for some strange girl.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,920,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Honest answer: it depends on what the guy who's buying looks like. If he is fugly, the drink will not be well received. If he is handsome or really polished, it will be.
Thanks for the honesty! So basically if you're already attracted to the guy then you see it as a good gesture?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,584,963 times
I'm not sure it really matters either way. If you feel like buying someone a drink, do so. If not, starting a conversation works fine too. Compliments, I think, are different. There's nothing lost by paying someone a genuine compliment and if it gives them a momentary lift, great.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,864 times
i think its nice when a man you dont know buys you a drink and does not expect anything from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships