Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM

868 posts, read 1,118,401 times

Advertisements

I pretty much always pay. I question myself for doing so, but it's simply too ingrained in my psyche and many have taken advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 07:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,594,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I'll pay first date, but if she doesnt offer, thats a big red flag. If she doesn't offer on the second date, c-ya.

If I'm looking for something casual/shortterm, and I'm very upfront about that, I'll pay every time.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,392,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post
When do girls start paying for dates?
I determine *when* based on this equation:

WHEN = [((0.8A x 05B x 0.4P + $M/12 - $H/12) / (T x L x S))^(F + S) x U] x (warp factor) - 1

Where:

A = appearance (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being whateve sets me off)

I = intelligence (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Einstein)

P = personality (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being great)

T = time we've been in the relationship (in days)

$M = my income

$H = her income

L = love level (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being magical)

S = number of times we have sex per week

F = how many times we go out

U = what we want out of this relationship (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being marriage, kids, death do us part)

warp factor = self-explanatory

[as you can see, it's complicated]

Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,226,169 times
Quote:
I need an honest opinion from guys. Do you find it rude if girls don't pay or don't offer to pay and no matter how much you like her you would stop seeing her? Or you don't mind paying all the time so long you spend time with a girl you really like?
Yes, I find it rude. I've been seeing a woman for a few weeks now. We've gone out (also stayed in) maybe 10 times. She paid once.

But she's damn good in bed, so what am I gonna do?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,226,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I simply don't see how women wanting to vote or wanting equal pay for equal work has anything to do with who pays on a date.
Why do you think the tradition of men paying for dates began?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,375,765 times
I never paid for a date unless it was my boyfriend's birthday. I never paid when dating my husband either.

I like men who like to spend money on me and can afford to do so. I don't think I would have been into a guy who wanted to split the check unless he had lost his job or was going through some other temporary rough spot.

There's nothing wrong with it of course and it makes sense given that most women work these days. It's just not something I'd offer to do if I ever got divorced and re-entered the dating scene.

It could be part of the Italian culture in which I was raised. Gender roles are very defined with men expected to support a woman financially and women expected to be attractive, know how to cook a great meal, and keep a clean house.

Last edited by LisaMc46; 12-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,779,527 times
Quote:
My friends and I were discussing about this. Apparently, one of my friends never paid for any dates even she's already in a committed relationship with a guy. I on the other hand doesn't pay till I'm in a committed relationship. I think whoever does the asking out will have to pay and I don't ask a guy out till were officially bf/gf (I almost once but had to think it twice and it didn't happen). Another friend pays even if it was the guy who ask her to hang out. She pays for the whole bill or pays half.

I went out with a guy for seven months and he paid for all our dates. I currently seeing a dude and the last five dates he paid. All the other guys I've been out with, they paid for our dates. I don't mind paying but only if I'm in a committed relationship with that person I'm dating and if I'm the one asking the person out.

So I wonder, after how many dates does a girl start paying half or paying for the whole date?

I need an honest opinion from guys. Do you find it rude if girls don't pay or don't offer to pay and no matter how much you like her you would stop seeing her? Or you don't mind paying all the time so long you spend time with a girl you really like?

Usually the 3rd date

Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,788,876 times
I am a guy and I guess I am old school because I feel that the man should always pay for the date. The woman can give him gifts as a sign of appreciation once in a while just like he does to her but thats it.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 AM

708 posts, read 875,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I pay on dates because I'm old fashioned, but my issue is when society makes women feel entitled to still hold onto the benefits of the dating world and expect guys to do all these things they used to do as they now have equal rights. I say if you are going to expect equal rights for one area of being a woman then expect it in all areas equally. As for me, I try to meet like minded people, you know old school women who are in relationships for the 'man' and not for the 'status' the man brings them such as most of the younger women are in it for these days. Note I said most, not each or all.
Eh, if you believe most younger women are like that, it would seem you are attracted to a narrow spectrum of women.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,155,709 times
This is dumb. Young childless women in large metropolitan areas make on average 8% more than men now. In a few cities they make as much as 20% more! Women absolutely should be paying for their fair share! They wanted equality and this means giving up the female privilege of men paying for dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships