Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,215,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
We were doing so good at being rational up until this point.

But, this is to be expected. It's hard to adopt a rational train of though when one is not used to doing so.

Ever the optimist, I'll try again.

Where do you think the tradition of the man paying came from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,513,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
We were doing so good at being rational up until this point.

But, this is to be expected. It's hard to adopt a rational train of though when one is not used to doing so.

Ever the optimist, I'll try again.

Where do you think the tradition of the man paying came from?
It's hard to stay rational with someone who is hard headed.

Of course, snide comments help a ton.

The tradition came from women being nothing more than chattel, something to be bought and sold. I'm not okay with that tradition, but many MANY people still abide by it. While most of the women I know pay for themselves, I still know a few who expect to be bought and sold and act as traditional housewives.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Of course, snide comments help a ton.
Fair point. My apologies

Quote:
The tradition came from women being nothing more than chattel, something to be bought and sold. I'm not okay with that tradition, but many MANY people still abide by it. While most of the women I know pay for themselves, I still know a few who expect to be bought and sold and act as traditional housewives.
So. Since the tradition began under conditions that, for the most part, no longer exist, does it make sense for the tradition to continue?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,513,044 times
Quote:
Fair point. My apologies

So. Since the tradition began under conditions that, for the most part, no longer exist, does it make sense for the tradition to continue?
If those people want to continue the tradition, nobody should stop them.

There are still plenty of women who want nothing more than to be a stay at home mom or housewife and there are plenty of men that want nothing more than to support a family.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM

102,024 posts, read 106,696,006 times
Quote:
You do realize that this isn't about JJ's opinion. It's about the likelihood of convincing the guys (including some here on C-D) who say they'd never let a woman pay for her meal on a date, it's not the gentlemanly thing to do. You should be debating this with those guys. You're preaching to the choir with JJ.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
If those people want to continue the tradition, nobody should stop them
Stop them by force of law? Of course not

Are you aware of the reason that societies/cultures develop social customs?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM

154 posts, read 289,511 times
It has never even occurred to me to pay on a date. For me this has nothing to do with self reliance, independence, or perceived obligation issues discussed here.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You do realize that this isn't about JJ's opinion. It's about the likelihood of convincing the guys (including some here on C-D) who say they'd never let a woman pay for her meal on a date, it's not the gentlemanly thing to do. You should be debating this with those guys. You're preaching to the choir with JJ.
Are you aware of Socrates?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
It has never even occurred to me to pay on a date.
Your thoughts on the subject now?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

102,024 posts, read 106,696,006 times
Quote:
Socrates?
Boring! Besides, it sounds like you're condescending to JJ. Your Socratic method would more appropriately be used on the people who insist on paying for women, not on women who pretty much agree with your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships