Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times

Advertisements

So I am getting some major insights recently, & realized one of the issue I have is that the guy I was with is a narcissist. I was really shocked that he met all the criteria, & that leads me to wonder if anyone here has dated someone that had any of these personality disorders; if so how did ya' recover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Threads like this make me feel violent.
I gotta go.....

Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So I am getting some major insights recently, & realized one of the issue I have is that the guy I was with is a narcissist. I was really shocked that he met all the criteria, & that leads me to wonder if anyone here has dated someone that had any of these personality disorders; if so how did ya' recover?
I once dated a passive-aggressive woman. I dumped her because of it, so I wasn't entitled to a recovery period. It did make me far less tolerant of people's passivity or wallowing, including my own. I never was much for "damsels in distress", but she really underlined that lesson for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I dated a narcissist once. He was really charming, swept me off my feet, went on for hours talking about himself. When he went off on me in public once for a reason I couldn't fathom, was when I realized it was time to dump his arse.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
In the times in which we live, we are all surrounded everyday by all of these personality types/disorders.
They are sickening to behold, but par for the course.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
OMG did I date a narcissist. If you googled the word, and read the symptoms..he had them. It's always YOU and NEVER them. They can never see your point of view. They dont feel they are wrong about anything. It's all about THEIR feelings..THEIR needs..THEIR wants. and they think they are God's gift.

Recover? Im still recovering as the breakup was recent. The hardest thing is drilling it into your head that no matter HOW hard you try, people like that just wont be able to be fair about things, and admit that they are at fault sometimes. I used to beat myself up over it, wondering WHY he couldnt see how unfair he was being. I guess he just really mentally wasnt able to, due to him being a narcissist.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
OMG did I date a narcissist. If you googled the word, and read the symptoms..he had them. It's always YOU and NEVER them. They can never see your point of view. They dont feel they are wrong about anything. It's all about THEIR feelings..THEIR needs..THEIR wants. and they think they are God's gift.

Recover? Im still recovering as the breakup was recent. The hardest thing is drilling it into your head that no matter HOW hard you try, people like that just wont be able to be fair about things, and admit that they are at fault sometimes. I used to beat myself up over it, wondering WHY he couldnt see how unfair he was being. I guess he just really mentally wasnt able to, due to him being a narcissist.
Wow, you are echoing my thoughts; I constantly am reminding myself how exhausting this has been. Everything is about him, & anything I was dealing with didn't matter....I keep wondering if he's ever gonna change, but I know it's not going to happen. He is an only child, & really does think he's God's gift.
The problem for me is that I miss the good stuff; it sucks

Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Wow, you are echoing my thoughts; I constantly am reminding myself how exhausting this has been. Everything is about him, & anything I was dealing with didn't matter....I keep wondering if he's ever gonna change, but I know it's not going to happen. He is an only child, & really does think he's God's gift.
The problem for me is that I miss the good stuff; it sucks

I totally understand. I feel the same way. I did so much for this guy. But, you could tell him yes a hundred times..but tell him no ONCE..and that is all that he would remember..that you said no that ONE time. And he would judge you based on that. Call you selfish, etc. Even when you had done a lot for him. It was crazy. He was like that with some of his friends too.

It WAS so emotionally draining. I went from being happy we had broken up..to being sad and missing him. It took a toll on me.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
My sister is a narcissistic among other things and for over 25 years, it's push/pull with her. I'm not on speaking terms with her now (I've had to stop talking to her for years) b/c she is never wrong, knows everything, nicer than everyone she knows, and I'm just her younger sister who's has caused every single argument in our relationship. I mean, I just suck. Oh, and I'm the meanest person on earth and I'm the reason other people get mad at her (like our parents, ie). Oh and I'm a loser b/c I don't have credit cards (just prefer cash is all-spend what I can afford--ooh, that one really pisses her off).

The list is endless. I keep hoping that one she will realize that no one is out to get her, that I, as her sister, loves her. However, if I let her, she will drag me down into her unhappy, angry world. Narcissism just doesn't help her other issues...at all.

It hurts to stay away but it's the best thing...

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Why is it that so many women, when dumped by some dude, immediately start thinking he must posess some psychological disorder, like Sociopathology or narcissisnm or BPD? Is it so as to keep their self-esteem intact? I can't beign to count the number of threads on CD in this vain, all started by female dumpees.

Maybe he just suffered from the psychological condition known as "I'm-just-not-that-into-you-ism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships