Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

For the younger generations, true heterosexual love is pretty much dead. I can imagine future generations to come becoming used to singleness and not wanting to get married. Relationships are gonna be hard for people born after 1985, thanks to all this matriarchy.

After all, modern people are genetically prone to divorce than ever before. And we all know the causes behind the alarming divorce rates.

You think the single and divorce population will outnumber the married population soon, at least in the matriarchy USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
I would hardly call the US a matriarchy. Why would a matriarchy make relationships hard for people?

Also, married couples are already a minority, according to the latest reports.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
From what I've read, the divorce rate has been declining for some time now.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think that's because many haven't been able to divorce officially for quite a few years now... The housing crisis and the unemployment are major obstacles.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think that's because many haven't been able to divorce officially for quite a few years now... The housing crisis and the unemployment are major obstacles.
Possibly. I think it's partly attributable to the fact that people are waiting to marry. People who marry younger have a higher risk of divorce, so the fact that people are waiting to marry seems like it could only be good.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
so the fact that people are waiting to marry seems like it could only be good
I don't subscribe to this theory. The older you get, the more set in your ways you are and the less willing to adapt, adjust, and compromise.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Between 2000 and 2009, the share of young adults ages 25 to 34 who are married dropped 10 percentage points, from 55 percent to 45 percent, according to ACS data.1 During the same period, the percentage who have never been married increased sharply, from 34 percent to 46 percent. In a dramatic reversal, the proportion of young adults in the United States who have never been married.

In U.S., Proportion Married at Lowest Recorded Levels - Population Reference Bureau

According to Custodial Mothers and Fathers and Their Child Support: 2007, released by the U.S. Census Bureau in November, 2009, there are approximately 13.7 million single parents in the United States today, and those parents are responsible for raising 21.8 million children (approximately 26% of children under 21 in the U.S. today).

Single Parent Statistics - Average Single Parent Household

As for the OP's direct question - this info is from Canada, but the site also has info and divorce rates of each of the United States.

Here's a sampling of some of the most recently available statistics on marriage and divorce in Canada:
  • About 48.5% of the adult population in Canada was married in 2006 (as opposed to single, separated, divorced, widowed or living in common law). This is the first known time in Canadian history that the percentage was under half; according to CanWest News Service, the figure was 50.1% in 2001 and more than 60% during the 1980s.
  • The number of marriages in the country was 149,236 in 2006 -- down nearly 2,000 from the previous year, but up from 148,585 in 2004.
  • In 2006, there were 1,629,490 divorced Canadians -- or about 5% of the population. 941,306 (well over half) of the divorcees were female.
  • As of 2006, there were 1,414,060 single-parent families in Canada -- or approximately 15.9% of all families. Of the lone-parent families, 1,132,290 were headed by the mother. In 1971, the number was approximately 476,300
Divorce Statistics, Marriage Statistics: Marriage and Divorce, Canada Divorce

Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't subscribe to this theory. The older you get, the more set in your ways you are and the less willing to adapt, adjust, and compromise.
Hmm, you do have a point. Maybe there's a golden window between too young/too immature and too old/too set in your ways?

In any case, I believe the unmarried population already exceeds the married population, but I don't know if the elderly/widowed and underage skew the numbers.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
For the younger generations, true heterosexual love is pretty much dead. I can imagine future generations to come becoming used to singleness and not wanting to get married. Relationships are gonna be hard for people born after 1985, thanks to all this matriarchy.

After all, modern people are genetically prone to divorce than ever before. And we all know the causes behind the alarming divorce rates.

You think the single and divorce population will outnumber the married population soon, at least in the matriarchy USA?
And what is that?

[humor me]

Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:
Possibly. I think it's partly attributable to the fact that people are waiting to marry. People who marry younger have a higher risk of divorce, so the fact that people are waiting to marry seems like it could only be good.

I agree... but I think you mean like late 20's and early 30's which is what my two boys have done. AND they both told me that they waited so long due to not really finding the right woman, for they both plan on staying married. Many of my students have said the same thing due to being children of divorced parents. I think that we will see in the future more people being single due to choice, marrying later in life (but NOT old enough to be set in their ways, and less divorces of those who do marry due to what these adults have experienced growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships