Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM

117 posts, read 344,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My future bride to be is a very dynamic women with excellent leadership qualities: Charismatic, dynamic, outspoken, strong willed, has a good sense of when things should get moving and great at directing and getting things done.

I find that extremely admirable since, in contrast my main strength is followership, that is executing other's agendas and directions, adding my two cents, and being supportive.

I think this will be great that we have these two opposite strengths since in our marriage, someone will be making the right decisions, keeping things on track, making sure things move smoothly and will have a good sense of what we should be focussing on.

However, it will also be great that I am willing to strive to put in the work and offer suggestion and follow well.

My questions are the following:

1. To any guys out there, have you ever or do you currently have a wife or girlfriend with excellent leadership qualities that you enjoy following and admire her for that.

2. If you are not in a relationship, would you prefer a traditional male leadership relationship, egalitarian relationship or one like the above.

3. To the women, have you ever seen any role reversal relationships like the one described above and how did theyw ork out.

I would tremendously appreciate your insights and opinions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,085 times
Hmm...I'm a woman and I find that pretty interesting, though not for me. I prefer a more equal relationship...whoever is more knowledgeable/confident in the situation at hand takes the lead. But it's cool that you don't feel "emasculated" by your fiancée. Congrats!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
My parents were in this type of marriage for 27 years. My mother was always the leader and my father was the follower. It was difficult for my mom at times. She told me that sometimes she would wish to have a man by her side who would be the decision maker for at least some of the time.

If your bride is content with this type of dynamic, then it's great.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Regardless the gender "roles" and "expectations", and how folks choose to sort all that out, it seems like it all still comes down to mutual respect. So does she appreciate your "supportiveness" as much as you appreciate her "assertiveness", or might there ever come a time when she simply takes it (and you) for granted... and loses respect for you? And how would you know?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
My parents were in this type of marriage for 27 years. My mother was always the leader and my father was the follower. It was difficult for my mom at times. She told me that sometimes she would wish to have a man by her side who would be the decision maker for at least some of the time.

If your bride is content with this type of dynamic, then it's great.
Yeah, it gets old. While I like to do whatever I want as the next person, doing it yourself all the time becomes a drag.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,477 times
Sounds to me like you are going to be wearing the skirt and she is going to be wearing the pants and your are not liking it as much as you like to admit.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Hmm...I'm a woman and I find that pretty interesting, though not for me. I prefer a more equal relationship...whoever is more knowledgeable/confident in the situation at hand takes the lead. But it's cool that you don't feel "emasculated" by your fiancée. Congrats!
Same here, great reply.

busta

Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Sounds to me like you are going to be wearing the skirt and she is going to be wearing the pants and your are not liking it as much as you like to admit.

Oh good grief. Did you ever hear of feminism? Well, guess what - it liberates men also.

OP, if it works and you are both happy with your roles with each other - and have discussed it so you are both clear, then just enjoy. Don't focus on how it works with others, focus on how you two will make it work for you. A marriage is a partnership and it is important for teamwork that you agree on what your roles are - egalitarian, power exchange, switching power, upside down, inside out - it's what you two decide is what will be best for you as individuals and as a couple.

Yes, I've known couples with differently empowered relationships who have been happy together for many years. Just remember there is no "I" in team.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,477 times
Yes I have heard of feminism. I have also heard of Men who are in denial when it comes to a powerful mate.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'm fascinated by powerful strong women..... getting a little tired of the same old bullshyt about men being intimidated by "strong" women, a bunch of horseshyt if you ask me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships