Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This may not be the case everywhere, but here almost all the people are on ALL the sites. Yes, craigslist included. I don't think the "class" of the site matters a whole lot.
I have little doubt the many of the scary men I've seen on some of these free sites won't be found on docdating, etc. None of this is to say that good people aren't to be found on free sites, or craigslist. They're there for sure. Unfortunately, I guess they share a space with more questionable people at greater rates compared to other sites. So, my argument is that various sites will attract folk of specific demographics and that this will play into who is attracted to who and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Everyone woman is different. That cocky and offensive will not work for everyone especially older and well-educated women and definately not professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
So I had written off online dating as I was
taking the well written, friendly, funny email that showed I had actually read her profile and try to create a profile of my own that gave a distinct and strong sense of who I am....didn't work at all, at least recently.

Then I was out with some friends from work who use all the dating site and they say they hook up with a TON of women. I told them I was struggling getting responses and they explained that yes, it will be hard to get responses, but what they do is just send short, sarcastic, semi-cocky, semi-offensive emails to these women instead of just being friendly and write a long paragraph. They say they try to keep it to one sentence, and they try to criticize them if possible.

Well I put it to use myself, I cut my profile down and just created a short paragraph that generally summarizes myself without much detail at all, try to sound a little cocky and funny in it. Then I sent out emails to girls using the one-line criticizing/cocky trick and I have to say so far it is working quite well. I've had some pretty long conversations with women as a result. Of course, a couple have flaked after conversing from 6 or 7 emails, but that's fine, I just need to lock up a date sooner or something. This just exemplifies even more that women don't have an interest in getting to know you, at least not pre-date.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Yeah..I was kind of thinking that too Pickle. But, honestly i just dont know why some women would go for that, CDcubs. I have seen stuff like that spouted on the Don Juan Forum (the name is exactly what the forum is about). I guess being cocky and insulting works on some women. But, i would HATE that. It would be..NEXT.

I dunno..for me funny and witty gets me all the time. And i dont mean corny wise cracking comments. A guy that actually is witty and funny..just because he IS..comes across better. Im a sucker for quick wit and humor.
Me too. I love a dry wit....wise cracks...all that. But cocky and insulting? Hell no. I'd bounce that dude's profile in a flat out second.

And yanno, the message can be witty and funny and all that, but if the profile really hits me in an "off" way, chances are I'll just be responding with a thanks but no thanks. There needs to be something there.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,561 times
GEEZ... really??? I have to agree with many women here... insulting would get you "blocked"... if your goal is low self-esteem women... then have at it. I find profiles that look like they don't put much effort in them deleted... I don't need a man that is lazy or feels they have so much self importance they don't have to give me any information about themselves... of course I've given up on the online dating for quite a while now.... if I want lies and manipulation, I can talk with my ex.. oops... LOL

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
So I had written off online dating as I was taking the well written, friendly, funny email that showed I had actually read her profile and try to create a profile of my own that gave a distinct and strong sense of who I am....didn't work at all, at least recently.

Then I was out with some friends from work who use all the dating site and they say they hook up with a TON of women. I told them I was struggling getting responses and they explained that yes, it will be hard to get responses, but what they do is just send short, sarcastic, semi-cocky, semi-offensive emails to these women instead of just being friendly and write a long paragraph. They say they try to keep it to one sentence, and they try to criticize them if possible.

Well I put it to use myself, I cut my profile down and just created a short paragraph that generally summarizes myself without much detail at all, try to sound a little cocky and funny in it. Then I sent out emails to girls using the one-line criticizing/cocky trick and I have to say so far it is working quite well. I've had some pretty long conversations with women as a result. Of course, a couple have flaked after conversing from 6 or 7 emails, but that's fine, I just need to lock up a date sooner or something. This just exemplifies even more that women don't have an interest in getting to know you, at least not pre-date.
It demonstrates that you find it more important to get many girls of low intellect, over one of high intellect.

Make sure you let us know how it all works out for ya....

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
this is what i do. it takes no effort and i get an 80%+ response rate.

key is to be funny/sarcastic and not jackass insulting

its more eye catching then sending something that says...HI MY NAME IS PHIL I SEE WE BOTH LIKE STRAWBERRY ICECREAM LIKE OMG WHAT IS YOUR SECOND FAVORITE FLAVOR OF ICE CREAMS??

you can chat about more meaningful **** when she responds.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
You tried this on Facebook?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You tried this on Facebook?
Facebook? Ah...you've confused social networks with dating sites. Yanno, FB actually states right there on the page when you send a friend request - that you should NOT send it unless you actually know the person.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Well that's cool, and I understand your reasoning, but they flaked out AFTER my last message said "hey, wanna grab a drink?" or something like that. So why would they message me that many times, only to flake out AFTER I ask them to meet?

I don't really care why, I get enough responses where I'm cool with moving on.

Aren't idiots = women? I am witty and funny, but through an email/profile women and their poor judge in character ("How did I end up marrying a guy who hits me?") just can't tell what's good or bad.

Besides, here's my options. Be witty/funny like you say and get NO responses, or be a dick and get some responses with idiot women? I think the choice is easy.

You are really going to act like you don't know why they flaked? THEY MET ANOTHER GUY-lol

Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
One breakthrough for me in online dating was using only ONE PHOTO and a very good one along with a short profile.

Some women were guilty of not reading my profile and only replying to me because of that one good picture. But you hear all the time that women want guys to read their profile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships