Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Did they date a week and never talk? How do you end up married and find out one partner will only eat one type of food, or that they expected you to quit working.
Yes, they rushed into things waaaay too fast. In the beginning they were out to impress and please each other, and were all lovey dovey...

Then got married and things changed. (aka reality)

Initially he had told her he didn't expect her to be a housewife, but then changed his mind because he didn't like her being away from the house and having male friends and such.

There were way more problems than just cultural differences but they certainly didn't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 PM

84 posts, read 153,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I live in a state mostly of minorities, a good deal from third world countries. And it can be quite trying at times, because a lot of them don't want to integrate.

15 people to a house, huge parties, drinking on the sidewalk in front of neighbors houses, yard's that look like dump sites, spitting in public.

One night one of those lovely homes had a party-goer wander down by my house. Stupid A peed on my SOs tire at the top of my driveway. He was quite surprised when he discovered my SO in the vehicle.
I live in a place full of immigrants too, however, this never happened to me, if anything it's been the other way round. Most of the immigrants in my area are usually highly educated although they might have come from third world countries themselves and are very law abiding, most seem to be very family oriented and are managers, doctors, lawyers and such.

I agree about the integration part though, most don't hang out at the local bars or mix much with the Americans around even when there's a game of football or so going on.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
It's not a good idea or a bad idea.

Whether or not it works out is entirely dependent upon a whole lot of variables, including but not limited to how the individuals themselves feel about not necessarily having a culture in common (can happen in relationships between people of the same nationality, as well), how either party's loved ones and friends feel about it AND how big of a role those people's opinions play in the individuals' lives.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM

417 posts, read 433,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyg999 View Post
I live in a place full of immigrants too, however, this never happened to me, if anything it's been the other way round. Most of the immigrants in my area are usually highly educated although they might have come from third world countries themselves and are very law abiding, most seem to be very family oriented and are managers, doctors, lawyers and such.

I agree about the integration part though, most don't hang out at the local bars or mix much with the Americans around even when there's a game of football or so going on.
yes because maybe they don't drink and may not be into football...nothing wrong with that

Old 12-25-2014, 03:03 PM

417 posts, read 433,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I think he means honour killings, forced marriages, etc. They do happen, you know. Or expecting your wife to just shut her mouth and open her legs because that's what his Neanderthal family/culture demands.
Those are mean comments...there are negative sin every culture and its not fair or respectful to point out the few bad things in another culture ad stereotype them...
what about all the teenage pregnancies and drugs and so many negatives things in the western world
and there are so many stereotypes about other cultures...many of these cultures respect and worship their women and the women actually have a better time than in the west...
i would not trust the biased media and ignorant perceptions of a few tourists to base one's ideas about other cultures
being semi-nude on the streets or having to live in and lose one's moral values is not a great way to live for a woman either...a lot of women suffer in the western world...if one makes a documentary focussed on the negatives in any culture its easy to believe stereotypes about them.

there are many men in the western world who do exactly what u stated in your post...thats why one has domestic violence help ...

this was a mean post. I don't like that.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 PM

543 posts, read 999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintlelli View Post
Those kinds of marriages are not for the weak!

A lot of people say "we're all the same." We are not.
From a biological POV, we really ARE the same: any pair of fertile humans (regardless of ethnicity) can produce a fertile offspring over 99% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
It depends, IMO, on many factors...

1. How "far apart" are he and she? If he's a WASP from New England and she's an upper-middle-class woman from London, the cultural differences may ultimately be minor. If he's a Jewish-American man from New York and she's an Argentine woman of Italian origins, the differences may be greater. If he's Mexican-American and she's an expatriate from Japan who speaks limited English and has been in the US for only 2 years, you may have a huge mountain to climb.

About #2: the female could had possible be part Jew, for many of the Italians and Germans who came to South America were Jews escaping WW1 and WWII, so their culture might not be THAT different. Source: my hubs worked in a place with several Argentinian and Brazilian people whose great grandparents were Jews (both of the Ashkenazi and Sephardi variety) escaping WW1 and 2. The bigger difference in here would be the language, but that's not always a big one. I looooooove how Argentinian people talk, BTW.

About #3: In the navy, I saw this pairing (Japanese woman, American dude of any ethnicity) with mixed results. When it turned bad, it was because the woman was usually after the benefits. However, these people produced some beautiful offsprings, and those offsprings would in turn produce even more gorgeous offsprings. I had a navy friend who was half and half (US navy dad, Japanese mom), and had a gorgeous daughter.

Last edited by jay_jay26; 12-28-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
People worry too much about ethnicity and not enough about the two people in question.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
In my experience, no, especially if the other person comes from a culture that is rigid by our standards or has a family who expects them to marry into their racial/religious/cultural circle.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM

348 posts, read 327,480 times
I'm straight....I love all women.

No dudes though!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Yes, if you can both learn to speak each other's languages. I have a Danish wife who thinks Danish and speaks English. She's impossible to understand (in English) since the two cultures are so far apart and I often have to rephrase her comments in Danish to see if I truly understand what she is driving at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships