Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your Myers-Brigg Type?
ESTJ 3 2.97%
ESFJ 4 3.96%
ISTJ 10 9.90%
ISFJ 6 5.94%
ENTJ 2 1.98%
ENTP 4 3.96%
INTJ 20 19.80%
ENTP 1 0.99%
ESTP 3 2.97%
ESFP 4 3.96%
ISTP 2 1.98%
ISFP 5 4.95%
ENFJ 3 2.97%
ENFP 5 4.95%
INFJ 16 15.84%
INFP 13 12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM

461 posts, read 782,509 times

Advertisements

This is bogus science based on Jung's teachings but he died before what meyer's- brigg created so he never approved of it. Even if he did, any true scientist would deem the test flawed. It's pretty funny how all the 'rare' personalities exist here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 AM

479 posts, read 835,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
This is bogus science based on Jung's teachings but he died before what meyer's- brigg created so he never approved of it. Even if he did, any true scientist would deem the test flawed. It's pretty funny how all the 'rare' personalities exist here.

I wouldn't exactly consider Jung a scientist. More like some new agey dream analysis bullcrap artist? Indeed Meyer's Brigg is only slightly more scientific vs. horoscopes.

Psychology as Sociology is just as surely a Humanity, like Philosophy and Religion. Pseudo Science? yes.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am an INTP. That's not in the poll, though.

ENTP is in there twice.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 AM

221 posts, read 598,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post

It's not a hard science like chemistry or physics, and it's dense to lay those expectations on anything having to do with personalities and fallible human nature. What science do you practice?

The rare personality types predominate online--especially in web forums and the like--because that's how weirdos like us end up socializing. The most common types like ESFJ's and ISFP's are out watching sports or sitcoms or bowling or coaching youth soccer or quilting hanging out in front of a 7-11 or bitching about how hard they work or fretting over their children. The web is the playground of the nerdish types who otherwise don't fit in, so there's a selection bias in play.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 AM

461 posts, read 782,509 times
Pseudoscience is a set of ideas based on "theories" put forth as scientific when they are not scientific. (Review the definition of a scientific theory in the McLelland article.) Pseudoscience is motivated by personal profit, religious beliefs, dogmatism, or personal gain. Pseudoscience may use certain aspects of the Scientific Method, but falls short of the Method is one or more of the following:
  • data is not based on observable or measurable phemenon (rather it is based on philosophical intepretations or the data is anecdotal);
  • data collection techniques are dubious or flawed;
  • the length of the study was too short or the sample size too small;
  • experiments are not repeatable;
  • data does not support the conclusion;
  • results are ambiguous and can be interpreted in many ways;
  • the work has not undergone the peer-review process;
  • the ideas was peer-reviewed but did not pass the peer-review process for publication in a respected scientific journal; and/or
  • the overall work was completed under bias or there is a strong appearance of bias.
Let’s examine a few instances of pseudoscience, going from the mild to the wild:
Myers-Briggs™. This test is used to assess your personality profile based on your responses to a series of questions. The Myers-Briggs TM reports how you fit within sixteen distinct personality profiles based on which side of the four scales one tends toward. The test is sold for profit to many corporations, who use the test to determine how employees can work together. The test results can easily be abused; they can lead to discrimination and poor career counseling. Employers may hire, fire, or assign personnel by personality type. The Myers-Briggs test (as it is sold) is pseudoscience: it’s a tool that provides general information on a subject without regard to the scientific method. In this case, the motivation is the profit of the company that sells the test, and the profit of corporations looking for a cheap method for determining employee communication and personality skills.

I follow proven theory set by scientific standards.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Infj.
I guess I can agree with some of it...Especially the highlighted one.
THIS IS AWESOME!! I am an INFJ and all of this is soo true!!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Hummmm I am an INFP, married to an ENTJ, and we have been happily married for almost 39 years.
So there really could be something to this.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
I was tested 4 times and came out as INFP each time. The online tests are not as long and involved as those given by psychiatrists or psychologists.My first was given in college psych class, my second in pre-marriage counciling. My third I took on the internet, and the fourth was given me by my pain-management psychiatrist. There must be a reason that they all came out the same. These tests are also used by some companies to place applicants.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Myers-Briggs is little more than astrology and marketed for college graduates.
Um, yeah. I just clicked on the posted link to see what it was, I wouldn't answer any of them, because the questions are not two opposing viewpoints, but completely separate issues.

So what "personality type" does that make me -- a person who questions the validity of a test like this?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Probably an INTJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships