Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Chicago's a great city but there's too much segregation for it to be called "friendly". In fact I feel this way about a great majority of the Midwest, the racial segregation is harsher than anything i've experienced in the South or home in the Northeast.

Totally agree, wordlife!

Originally from Toronto (agree that it's probably not the friendliest place in the world) and then lived in a few other places before moving to suburban Detroit. We lived there for 14 years, and all I can say is that those are 14 years that I will never be able to get back. I found people there to be polite for the most part (certainly not unfriendly), but so unbelievably insular that it bordered on clannishness. And, with the exception of Ann Arbor (great town), the entire metro area is the most lifeless place I have ever lived in. The segregation exacerbates the insular culture, imo, and I just found that everyone really sticks to their own.

Now living in the south, which can be a little passive-aggressive, but I find people here to be far more open and better able to relax and enjoy themselves. And, in the city where I live, I find there to be LESS racial and socioeconomic segregation than in the Big D.

To the OP: Yes, I think how someone perceives the level of friendliness or openness of an area can deeply affect him/her and how he/she views the quality of life in that community.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-03-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Chicago's a great city but there's too much segregation for it to be called "friendly". In fact I feel this way about a great majority of the Midwest, the racial segregation is harsher than anything i've experienced in the South or home in the Northeast.
Ugh! Thank you! This struck a chord with me. Been here since June and counting down the days where I can go back to the normalcy of the northeast. I miss NJ VERY much after being here.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
I have to disagree very strongly with Denver being on the friendly side and Bostonians unfriendly. Denver is snobbier than LA (EVERY bit as fake) and the people are much uglier too. I see why they've legalized weed. This place is so bland and painfully boring all you want to do is stay inside and get high. Yes, where I live is affecting me very much. I'm extremely depressed and turned into a hermit.

While visiting Boston, I found the people to be MUCH friendlier, helpful and chatty than Denver.
Las Vegas is friendlier than Denver. I had new acquaintances within one day when I lived there.
Dallas is a friendlier city than Denver. (I lived there too.)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Atlanta is a lot less friendly than Seattle. I've lived in both cities. San Francisco and the Bay Area are friendly than either of the two.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread is now closed. It's an old thread which was resurrected today by a troll. It has nothing to do with romantic relationships and does not belong in this forum.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships