Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
With some of both in ya dogwalker didn't have a chance... lol
Arrrrrrr.......

Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
So we are renovating our kids bathroom and there is the giant, builders-grade mirror sitting in the hallway. When we took it down he said "do you want to put this in the attic?"

WTF for???

I can understand keeping a tile or two just in case we crack one and have to replace but a big fat NO to the mirror!

We have boxes of old playboys, baseball cards, little die cast army men, trains...etc. I'm not sure WHY he feels the need to keep these things...he never even looks at them!

I toss/freecycle most everything. I did keep my kids outfits that they wore home from the hospital but that's all I have from them. A few pieces of artwork as well...IF they spent a good amount of time on it we keep it...if it's a piece of paper they had to color...it gets tossed. I hate crap and I cannot stand clutter and papers!
This is where we are on the same page, unless that mirror were to be reused after the remodel there would be no question of its final destination.
My one guilty pleasure is the large diecast collection currently in storage which had to be put away to sell the house. Since our new place is not large enough for such a display they will have to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
A lot of times hoarders will share certain triggers - they've usually had someone leave them, either through abandonment or death; they're susceptible to depression; or, as some psychologists postulate, it's simply a matter of "a natural and adaptive instinct gone bad".

It used to be lumped into a general OCD diagnosis, but now the "experts" have given it its own category.

The A&E show "Hoarders" brings back lots of bad memories for me; in fact, some of the cases shown don't seem as bad as the one I lived through. What I don't understand is why they allow the hoarder to stay on-site during the clean-up process. It isn't as if that helps them - in fact, it always leads to emotional break-downs, broken trusts and tearful scenes.

Of course, it probably increases the ratings also.
Naturally.
When storage units started popping up around our area I used to wonder what idiot would rent such a place.
Today I am 2X the idiot;
a) because I rent one
b) because I never built one

Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
We're going through a refi on our place, gonna go down two who percentage points. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We're going through a refi on our place, gonna go down two who percentage points. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Anyone here get rid of the land line and just go all wireless for phone service.

I'm thinking of shytcanning the home phone. Thinking of ways to cut down money, they seem to have to pretty good unlimited wireless plans available. We're paying about 50 bucks a month just to have a "home" phone.

IDK, what do you guys think???

Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Anyone here get rid of the land line and just go all wireless for phone service.

I'm thinking of shytcanning the home phone. Thinking of ways to cut down money, they seem to have to pretty good unlimited wireless plans available. We're paying about 50 bucks a month just to have a "home" phone.

IDK, what do you guys think???
We are in the process of refinancing too AND we are considering getting rid of the land line.

The only people that call our house are family and sales calls. I am not sure if I'd feel naked without a landline though.

It's my job to do the research and make the decision so I'm interested in what others think too.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
We are in the process of refinancing too AND we are considering getting rid of the land line.

The only people that call our house are family and sales calls. I am not sure if I'd feel naked without a landline though.

It's my job to do the research and make the decision so I'm interested in what others think too.
The only counter "argument" is that people worry about the reliability and "safety" of having a landline. Both landlines and wireless services all "ride" on a lot of the same infrastructure. So if something major happens, your gonna be screwed either way....

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Our landline is bundled up with our cable/internet...We rented a place for a few months which provided cable and internet so we went wireless.I don't know...I had no big complaints...just so used to having a home phone!

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
A lot of times hoarders will share certain triggers - they've usually had someone leave them, either through abandonment or death; they're susceptible to depression; or, as some psychologists postulate, it's simply a matter of "a natural and adaptive instinct gone bad".

It used to be lumped into a general OCD diagnosis, but now the "experts" have given it its own category.

The A&E show "Hoarders" brings back lots of bad memories for me; in fact, some of the cases shown don't seem as bad as the one I lived through. What I don't understand is why they allow the hoarder to stay on-site during the clean-up process. It isn't as if that helps them - in fact, it always leads to emotional break-downs, broken trusts and tearful scenes.

Of course, it probably increases the ratings also.
Thankfully we are not quite that bad.

My garage looks like Sandford and Son as well as the attic. Those are his areas and I don't go in them or clean them.

I'm sure if I didn't live with him, it would be creeping into the house as well.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
Quote:

Ditch it and never look back. Its nothing but a money soak and we didn't miss it for one minute. The only downside is if you come home drunk and pass out on the couch with a dead cell phone which then falls out of your pocket and goes in between the cushions it can take a long time to find that sucker and there are not 4 of them salted all through the house. At least thats what I heard.... O_o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships