Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

376 posts, read 665,190 times

Advertisements

i'm kind of unsure if i want to talk about this personally but looking at my parents marriage and relationship, i seriously believe my father has antisocial personality disorder or some degree of it.

from what my mom has told me and from what i've seen my father do etc, he exhibits most of or if not all the signs of sociopathy. he knows how to be charming, he knows how to get you on his side to the point where you're vunerable, then without warning he'll take advantage of you and yours. he is also very controlling, manipulative, lies a lot, and all the other signs.

one thing that i can say about him is he put my mom through a lot of ship and he took advantage of her weaknesses and used it for his gain. according to him, he justifies his screwed up ness by painting himself as some figure that takes care of everything and that my mom, who is the breadwinner and actually does everything while he sits back and is unable to handle his responsibilities, is the one that is ruining his life. being that i'm his own son, he tells me this and i know this is another one of his sociopathic tactics at work. the sociopath will try to blame everyone for what they intentionally do and will even throw their loved ones under the bus if they have to. i've witness this first hand.

if there's anything to learn from this and something that my mom told me and i'm going to tell you this, know the person that you're dealing with like the back of your hand and if you are dealing with someone who isn't right, have people that know the person personally tell you that they're not right or something is wrong with them or you notice that something is off about the person, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE CHANCES ARE YOU'RE DEALING WITH SOMEONE YOU SHOULDN'T BE DEALING WITH.

my mom is pretty much in a hopeless situation right now and my father is set for life living off of her. it just hurts me to see that i can't protect my mother from my father's wrath and that the man that i have mixed feelings about my father that bother me sometimes. i love him but at the same time, i hate him. just something that i thought about writing since there's all this talk about sociopaths being in relationships and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Thanks for the warning! I'll know what to look for.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
thanks for sharing. people tend to think that bad guys were like the bad guys in the nancy drew books- he has to be scowling or swarthy or have bad manners (ha!). of course sociopaths are not like that at all, and probably the most dangerous, as it is incurable and can be an umbrella for all types of behavior. i remember reading that sociopaths make GREAT salesmen, as they have a tendency to not hear the word "no".

Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
thanks for sharing. people tend to think that bad guys were like the bad guys in the nancy drew books- he has to be scowling or swarthy or have bad manners (ha!). of course sociopaths are not like that at all, and probably the most dangerous, as it is incurable and can be an umbrella for all types of behavior. i remember reading that sociopaths make GREAT salesmen, as they have a tendency to not hear the word "no".
well, here's the thing. my father is not a salesman. he's just a regular joe that has some dead end job that let's him do whatever he wants to do as long as he gets the job done. the people that he works with tolerates things that he wouldn't be able to do at a regular job such as tardiness where he's showing up in the afternoon when he's supposed to show up at 8 in the morning. people get this whole idea that a sociopath is someone who is very successful, is extroverted, has great communication skills, looks good, etc when that is not the case with every sociopath.

they basically thrive off of living off of people which gives them a sense of power. they will basically ruin your life if they have to just to be in complete control of you and they also study you to know your vunerablities and weaknesses. they know who they can play their game on and who they can't play their game even though they still might do what they do anyway if it requires something they want. they lack a conscience too because they have no guilt behind their wrongdoing or can't understand what they did wrong. everything that goes bad for them is someone elses fault.

looking at my parents relationship, my mom has always loved my father and still gives him the benefit of the doubt and he takes advantage of that. i honestly don't think he cares about my mom. only the power he gets out of her knowing that he has someone he can control at his will. every single time my father senses that my mom is tired of him and his crap and takes steps to rid herself of him, he finds ways to make her stressed out which leads to her being sick since she has health problems that act up when she's stress. for example, let's say whenever my mom is in school trying to get a degree in her field so she can get more money so she can make her life easier which will eventually give her the chance to leave my father. my father will find someway to screw up the mortgage payment and leave my mom having to pay what he owes which could be 500 or 600 dollars or start a fight with her, accusing her of cheating of him with another man or something else. he knows how to get under her skin and unfortunately, she really has no choice to deal with it until she decides to finally cut off for good.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Good for your mom. At least she has a plan and is methodically executing it. Every coarse she takes in school brings her one step closer to freedom.

Do they have a will, or is that not important here? If they split would everything be divided 50-50? Do you have a place in it? Don't you dare answer here, just have her think about how she will finally say goodbye to him.

Your poor mother. It is bad enough working with someone like that, but at least you can look forward to going home at day's end. Lucky she doesn't whack him.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Good for your mom. At least she has a plan and is methodically executing it. Every coarse she takes in school brings her one step closer to freedom.

Do they have a will, or is that not important here? If they split would everything be divided 50-50? Do you have a place in it? Don't you dare answer here, just have her think about how she will finally say goodbye to him.

Your poor mother. It is bad enough working with someone like that, but at least you can look forward to going home at day's end. Lucky she doesn't whack him.
well, see... i doubt my mom would ever make a will with my father especially knowing how messed up he is. i don't think any of them have a will.

and to be honest with you, my mom has more to lose than he does. my father really doesn't have anything and he seems to be content with that. almost everything that he has has been purchased by someone else from his clothes to the shaver he has.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma with the sociopath. I've met a lot of them myself. I think the culture in the USA is based on lies and manipulation therefore breeding sociopaths to the left and to the right. Another problem are cults; these types of people are often in cults too and not the zany absurd cults like Heavens Gate but the cults that are more like corporate pyramid schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i'm kind of unsure if i want to talk about this personally but looking at my parents marriage and relationship, i seriously believe my father has antisocial personality disorder or some degree of it.

from what my mom has told me and from what i've seen my father do etc, he exhibits most of or if not all the signs of sociopathy. he knows how to be charming, he knows how to get you on his side to the point where you're vunerable, then without warning he'll take advantage of you and yours. he is also very controlling, manipulative, lies a lot, and all the other signs.

one thing that i can say about him is he put my mom through a lot of ship and he took advantage of her weaknesses and used it for his gain. according to him, he justifies his screwed up ness by painting himself as some figure that takes care of everything and that my mom, who is the breadwinner and actually does everything while he sits back and is unable to handle his responsibilities, is the one that is ruining his life. being that i'm his own son, he tells me this and i know this is another one of his sociopathic tactics at work. the sociopath will try to blame everyone for what they intentionally do and will even throw their loved ones under the bus if they have to. i've witness this first hand.

if there's anything to learn from this and something that my mom told me and i'm going to tell you this, know the person that you're dealing with like the back of your hand and if you are dealing with someone who isn't right, have people that know the person personally tell you that they're not right or something is wrong with them or you notice that something is off about the person, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE CHANCES ARE YOU'RE DEALING WITH SOMEONE YOU SHOULDN'T BE DEALING WITH.

my mom is pretty much in a hopeless situation right now and my father is set for life living off of her. it just hurts me to see that i can't protect my mother from my father's wrath and that the man that i have mixed feelings about my father that bother me sometimes. i love him but at the same time, i hate him. just something that i thought about writing since there's all this talk about sociopaths being in relationships and stuff.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,508,726 times
I grew up with one. For those of you that watch Two and a Half Men, the character Evelyn sums my mom up right to a tee. Narcissistic, manipulative, lying being second nature, self-absorbed, and selfish. She is a good lawyer though. My dad wasn't a sociopath, but he wasn't much better.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Interesting story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I grew up with one. For those of you that watch Two and a Half Men, the character Evelyn sums my mom up right to a tee. Narcissistic, manipulative, lying being second nature, self-absorbed, and selfish. She is a good lawyer though. My dad wasn't a sociopath, but he wasn't much better.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
Yeah, the best and only thing to do with sociopaths is stay very far away. If you can, try to notify people who also know them or who are involved with them. People can be blind to it for the longest time. Sorry about your situation, that sounds like a bad one, hope things can work out eventually.

Here's a fun one: Pretty much every movie villain is supposed to be a sociopath (especially in, say, cheesy action movies or whatever.) They are cruel without limit, grandiose and megalomaniac, have no empathy for others, will shoot or betray their friends and henchmen without a second thought, are excellent liars, are cold blooded and ice cold killers, etc. check it out next time you are watching a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships