Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

Are you a person who holds grudges for years?

Omg. I can't believe you asked that question. I'm never talking to you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
I don't hold grudges, per se...meaning, I don't hold on to bad feelings and all that.

Something about how resentment is the same as drinking poison and expecting THE OTHER PERSON to die from it.

But I do just cut them out and pretty much forget they exist.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,123,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes I hold grudges. I don't do it for silly things though and will only hold a grudge after getting burned many times first. I tend to be a sucker like that. People make mistakes, no one is perfect. I give people lots of chances but if they are toxic then a grudge keeps them away. Sometimes things can't be forgiven. I usually find that when people are annoyed with others that hold grudges are usually toxic and have zero responsibility for their actions.
This is the best post on here!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't hold grudges. I forgive, then forget the person ever existed.
Ha-ha, if that's the definition of not holding grudges, then I don't, either.

Joke aside, I do hold grudges, but it surprises me that many times years later I don't even remember what the issue was. On the forums, for instance, sometimes I know I have an unpleasant association with some moniker, but again, I don't always remember why.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, if that's the definition of not holding grudges, then I don't, either.

Joke aside, I do hold grudges, but it surprises me that many times years later I don't even remember what the issue was. On the forums, for instance, sometimes I know I have an unpleasant association with some moniker, but again, I don't always remember why.
LOL...I am actually the opposite. I always remember who I had confrontations with on this forum and why. However, after a certain time passes, I no longer care or upset and end up chatting or giving advice to that poster anyway.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
Yep, I bear more grudges, than lonely high court judges.

You can't expect people to just forget certain things if they have never been set right. But then again, I don't go around venting about the same thing over and over again -- that is just plain unhealthy. Though you can be sure that if I was ever asked about a situation, I would definitely have much to say. If somebody is holding a grudge against you, ask yourself if you have ever tried to truly set things right. If somebody can't stop venting about a certain situation, they need mental help or a chance to confront the person that did them wrong.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:13 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Unfortunately I am one of those people who holds grudges. I have been told by people who know me that I have an uncanny memory for detail from things that happened long ago. I have always suspected that this is why I hold grudges.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I don't forgive and I don't forget, but I still don't hold a grudge. I had a best friend that crossed me several years ago. We simply don't hang out or talk anymore. I'm not mad at what he did, but know to keep my distance from people like that. I'll still be cordial if we bump into each other though.
I am like this too. I will be polite, but I will not forget the betrayal, or think of the person in the same way.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,148,760 times
Holding grudges is toxic for the person holding the grudge. Most times the person you are holding a grudge against doesn't even know it or aren't even thinking about it. They are paying nothing to rent all that space in your head.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:38 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yeah... you know the kind.

People who are bent and hold it in for just the right place to vent. Swinging the sword of hurtful words and bringing up deep-seated hatred that goes far beyond the situation at hand.

Yeah... you have to feel sorry for people like that. They probably sit around single with a bunch of dogs or cats complaining about everyone and anything from neighbors to people in general.

Do you know of someone like this and how do you cope?
How do I deal? I try to see it one way. This person who holds something against me and makes it obvious, is a person who probably has had her mistakes held against her.

While I may have compassion for her, she is mistaken if she thinks her behavior will have a negative impact on mine. She is allowed to think the worst in what I do, and if she crosses boundaries she is told directly. But that pretty much goes for anybody I know or meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Holding grudges will eat you from the inside and destroy any potential to grow as a person. I have been hurt by people, but I consider myself lucky, because I'm the type of person who forgives and forgets everything.
I, too, am lucky to let go because for me personally, if I don't, I am not communicating my expectations and allowing my boundaries to be crossed.

I do keep a family member at a distance and there was a point where I couldn't tell if I was doing it out of pride or just holding a grudge. I didn't want either to be the reason she was kept at a distance because she really is not a bad person. Instead I learned to ask better questions and to not be afraid to turn her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships