Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times

Advertisements

I still don't get where a guy is supposed to try and meet single women. Why is it so hard at my age? Everyone says that gym is a bad idea..the bar is a bad idea, workplace is off limits, etc. You can't approach a woman at the park or you get maced. So now that we have established what the "bad ideas" are...what are the good ideas? I'm really at a loss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Do you have friends?

If yes, hang out with them and meet new people.

If no, make some and then do the above.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:57 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
WL,

man you can meet women anywhere. I'd start with going to events that YOU enjoy. You'll meet womne there that like the same event. Get some convo going and please, when you're talking to the ladies do that and only that.

DO NOT go in with a agenda,i.e---trying to get her number. Just socialize as if it was a gal from work---no agenda, just talking.

Let things flow, she'll let you know if the wants to move things forward, believe me she will.
If you're at the same event it's a good chance you guys have other things in common.

For example--I go to a lot of jazz related events as well as book fairs. Usually the women that I have met at those events like- travel, trying new and different foods, progressive thinkers,etc....all are things that I am in to as well.

Just put yourself out there.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I still don't get where a guy is supposed to try and meet single women. Why is it so hard at my age? Everyone says that gym is a bad idea..the bar is a bad idea, workplace is off limits, etc. You can't approach a woman at the park or you get maced. So now that we have established what the "bad ideas" are...what are the good ideas? I'm really at a loss here.
Serious people like myself go to gyms for workout. I am a busy guy so for me its just in and out. I don't waste much time there. I am also in my mid 30's. Life is not the same as it was in the 20's especially if you moved from your high school and college city.

Do you live in a big city?
Try going to some volunteer activities where there are tons of women.
Try Meetup.com

Online dating sites and Facebook.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM

175 posts, read 914,265 times
Quote:
Well, I met two previous boyfriends at the gym...but that was probably because it's where I spent a lot of time and we shared that common interest. I think sharing a common interest is the key...so whatever you like to do or wherever you like to hang out, you're more likely to meet someone in those places. That's what *seems* like would work anyway...I can't say it's really worked for me...yet! I agree about having more places where NOT to meet someone...work is off limits for me. And after dating a friend of a friend and then having a messy "friendship split" after we broke up, I'm not convinced that meeting people through friends is a good idea. If you've never tried online dating or speed dating, those are also good, no-pressure ways to meet a variety of people too. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2011, 06:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
First off, get in where you fit in. You can meet people anywhere. For me work is off limits. However, if the person you're interested in works on another floor and you're discrete it could work. My theory is that they're too many women outside of work to get involved at work. And in my organization all of the good looking ones are taken so I tend to stick with the place I spend the majority of time only second to work, the gym. As Ron suggested events can be good places. A friend's birthday party maybe a good place. At your age a friend's birthday party, especially if said friend is married will not likely yield many single women but you never know.

Personally, I meet a lot of girls at the gym and it's always been that way no matter what city I've lived in. They come up to me and start conversations about workout techniques or why I do some much cardio. As we converse they steer the conversation to other topics. As we see more of each at the gym we chat and continue to build repoire. Building repoire is the most important thing bc they'll feel comfortable with you.

You're not going to date every girl at the gym that you know but some will become friends and others will become lovers or girlfriends. I go in to work hard but there isn't anything wrong with meeting women at the gym. Just don't let that be your sole purpose. A lady I know met her husband at her gym so you never know.

It's a numbers game and the more you can increase your odds the better.

Last edited by he's so hott; 09-04-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I disagree that work is a bad place to meet women (or men). It's where you spend most of your time, it's ther logical place to pursue a romantic relationship. It's a terrible idea to crank up an affair at work with a married person. A single person. Why not as long as both of you are discrete, avoid PDA's at work and keep your private life completely private from your co-workers.

It's obvious most people don't believe colleague are off limits, since almost everyone I've ever known has had a fling in the workplace.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
Well, I met two previous boyfriends at the gym...but that was probably because it's where I spent a lot of time and we shared that common interest. I think sharing a common interest is the key...so whatever you like to do or wherever you like to hang out, you're more likely to meet someone in those places. That's what *seems* like would work anyway...I can't say it's really worked for me...yet!
Yep. Patty Stanger says you should have at least two things common. So if you're working out and she is working out you most likely have those things in common. Finding one more thing in common shouldn't be hard to do. And like you said, working out for me is like work.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Through friends, mutual interest hobbies, etc.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I disagree that work is a bad place to meet women (or men). It's where you spend most of your time, it's ther logical place to pursue a romantic relationship. It's a terrible idea to crank up an affair at work with a married person. A single person. Why not as long as both of you are discrete, avoid PDA's at work and keep your private life completely private from your co-workers.

It's obvious most people don't believe colleague are off limits, since almost everyone I've ever known has had a fling in the workplace.
Don't eat where you s**t policy. You don't want your performance at your job to effect you in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships