Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,672,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I've always classified bars and clubs into two main categories - local "closed" clubs, where everyone knows everyone else and outsiders are watched like hawks; and "public" or "open" clubs, where all comers are welcome or at least ignored enough that they can start spewing their attitude.

I had a choice a few years ago - head up security at the newest, biggest strip club in the area, or perform the same job for a small, old, out-of-the-way club that I've known for many years.

That was a no-brainer.

Now, the big club has all sorts of problems with wanna-be gang-bangers, Guidos and drug dealers. They have bad press, bad rep and almost non-existent security. My place? A few small altercations once in a while, nothing major - when you nip them in the bud you don't allow them time to build steam.

For a club that features both alcohol and naked women (a natural breeding ground for conflicts), we have the best ratio of customers-to-incidents in the area.
I keep forgetting that you've stated here in the past that you are in the 'club business'

I just wanted to ask, though...how do you deal with issues that arise at the club where you work? And how hard do you have to 'nip something in the bud'? I enjoyed reading your reply, and what you said did make perfect sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM

30,567 posts, read 21,744,161 times
I'm not really into the club scene, but give me a unique jazz club or an English or Irish pub and I'm there!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,582,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I keep forgetting that you've stated here in the past that you are in the 'club business'
Sometimes I wish I could forget it also ...

Quote:
I just wanted to ask, though...how do you deal with issues that arise at the club where you work? And how hard do you have to 'nip something in the bud'? I enjoyed reading your reply, and what you said did make perfect sense to me
It all depends on the incident. We try to watch the crowd closely, not just when it's crazy-crowded but ALL the time. Certain behaviors clue us in, beside those that occur from drinking alcohol. If you're observant you can watch a patron go over the line from "happy buzz" to "nasty drunk", and you intervene before the nasty drunk starts anything with anyone else.

Our dancers are also taught (if they don't already know) how to deal with troublesome customers, and are told to signal security the moment an incident starts brewing - even if they just get "a weird feeling".

Our bartenders go through state-mandated training that teaches them when and how to cut someone off, and I train them in security matters (IDs, verbal de-escalation, etc.).

Before the conflict turns physical, you try to get the participants outside. The primary goal is to preserve physical property and patron safety, so if a few gorillas want to do the Dance Of The Snookered Man-Ape it's better they do it outside, where clean-up is easily accomplished the next day with a hose and a sharp putty knife.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,120,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm not really into the club scene, but give me a unique jazz club or an English or Irish pub and I'm there!
Same here, except for me it's either a sports bar, karaoke joint, or an Irish pub (the kind of place with a singalong piano player)

Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,362,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've seen more than enough news reports of shootings/murders and fights at clubs to know they attract trouble. Not just the hood clubs but club districts in many city centers have the same issue with criminal thuggery.

Typical night at the club: Music is playing and everyone having a good time. Few hours later there's commotion which turns into a group of guys grilling each other hard; cooler heads prevail for a minute and everyone goes back to having fun. Hours later as the club closes, those same dudes go to the parking lot and continue talking smack to each other. A Pier 6 brawl breaks out with both camps going at it. Few dudes from each group reach for guns and shots ring out in the parking lot. 5-10 people from each side laying in their own blood, police secure the scene and everyone is shook at what happened.

Uhhh, that's not a typical night here in NYC/Long Island. Well, not at the finer clubs/lounges anyway.

Sincerely,
a committed clubber

Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM

232 posts, read 629,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
agreed... the op asked why do bars/clubs get bad reps not whether we like going to clubs or not....

Whether you like going to clubs or not probably directly affects your opinion on bars/clubs and you giving it a bad rep. Thought that was obvious.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Regarding being introverted, that reminds me of another change with myself in the club scene compared to 10 years ago. Back then, even just a little bit of "liquid courage" will make extroverted. Now, I have to drink a lot more to feel that way, but by then I can't even carry a conversation because I would barely be able to speak.
I don't drink all that much alcohol myself and can count farther back than 10 years for when I started. And to tell the truth, when I started drinking was the only time I drank so much that it impaired me for carrying on a conversation. I have since learned my limits and have enough control to stay within it. Also, I am only a social drinker and a light one at that now. If you gotta drink so much that you are that heavily intoxicated before you even losen up a bit, maybe you should stop drinking because that is a very strange and narrow margin. You must have built up quit a tolerance, but I still don't see how you skipped a nice happy buzz and go directly to near comotos before you feel anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've seen more than enough news reports of shootings/murders and fights at clubs to know they attract trouble. Not just the hood clubs but club districts in many city centers have the same issue with criminal thuggery.

Typical night at the club: Music is playing and everyone having a good time. Few hours later there's commotion which turns into a group of guys grilling each other hard; cooler heads prevail for a minute and everyone goes back to having fun. Hours later as the club closes, those same dudes go to the parking lot and continue talking smack to each other. A Pier 6 brawl breaks out with both camps going at it. Few dudes from each group reach for guns and shots ring out in the parking lot. 5-10 people from each side laying in their own blood, police secure the scene and everyone is shook at what happened.

So you are talking about your experience from watching TV. Criminals also steal/break into cars parked in parking lots. They also rob banks. Sharks also attack and even kill people swimming in the ocean. People also get robbed at gun point while walking around town. People also get car jacked in nice areas while driving their car. I can prove all that from the news I saw on TV. None of it has ever actually happened to me. Other then my car being broken into twice in front of my house....and I lived in a nice area. I guess criminals can travel.

Typical night at the club for me is I have fun. Sometimes I even meet new people and make new friends. I have been going to bars and clubs for years. Your "typical night at the club" that you inferred from watching TV is something I have never experienced myself. I have no doubt it can and has happened, but I am not living my life afraid of what might happen. If I did, I'd never cross the street, might get runned over by a car. Which is probably more likely to happen than gunned down at a club.

Last edited by Herc130; 09-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,098,228 times
Quote:
I don't have a beef with those that LIKE bars and clubs, actually...MY problem starts when those that can't act their age start making life miserable for those who do...I really don't care how tough you are, how many of your 'boys' you have with you, or if you want to go into the parking lot and play 'Gunfight At The OK Corral'---people have a right to enjoy the company of like minded adults without a bunch of unnecessary noise and posturing...carrying a gun and selling wolf tickets at the top of your voice A) is annoying as hell, B) doesn't need to happen in a place where people are trying to enjoy themselves, and most importantly C) doesn't make you a man/woman...
Co-sign 100%. I don't need to elaborate further You've got a rep coming your way.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM

376 posts, read 663,076 times
from what i've noticed, the club or the bar really isn't the place to be at least around my way that's the case. there's too many people that know each other and they keep to themselves and are not willing to talk to anybody that they don't know. my whole idea of a club/bar that is good would be a place to be sociable with strangers and have a good time in doing so. these people that frequent the bars around my way basically are going to the bar to talk with the same people they know and see everyday on the street, at work or whatever. i think that's lame if you ask me. i can understand not wanting to talk to random strangers but if you're the type to frequent a bar or a club and all you do is just keep with the same 6 people you see daily instead of talking with other people or at least saying hi or bye, then you really don't need to be there. go on a road trip or something.

and hell... even if you want to dance or whatever. you have all these couples, all these women that come together as a group that happen to keep to themselves dancing together with the poor guy or girl who looks like an outcast dancing with himself or herself trying to have a good time. what the dance floor ends up looking like is a bunch of self absorbed losers that are acting like they're in a music video where everyone is watching them while they're dancing around basking in the attention they're receiving.

9 times out of 10, if you go to the clubs or bars around my way to get some action, you WILL NOT get any unless the woman steps up to you wanting some. you cannot step up to these woman in the club even just to dance a little bit to have fun. there's no such thing as having a good time in the club/bar unless you know somebody or are willing to stay in a group of people and are content with that alone.

the only time i ever had a good time in the club is when there were people that were willing to have a good time and not acting all anti-social, encouraging us to join them and everybody else in there to get up, dance around and have a good time. we all just had a great time, dancing around and getting drunk, looking like idiots and nobody gave a damn. we were all willing to talk, conversate and at the end of the club, go about our businesses. the other clubs that i went to.. the people in there weren't having that. this is why i rarely go to the club or bars because it's full of anti-social people.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 09-06-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,892,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
from what i've noticed, the club or the bar really isn't the place to be at least around my way that's the case. there's too many people that know each other and they keep to themselves and are not willing to talk to anybody that they don't know. my whole idea of a club/bar that is good would be a place to be sociable with strangers and have a good time in doing so. these people that frequent the bars around my way basically are going to the bar to talk with the same people they know and see everyday on the street, at work or whatever. i think that's lame if you ask me. i can understand not wanting to talk to random strangers but if you're the type to frequent a bar or a club and all you do is just keep with the same 6 people you see daily instead of talking with other people or at least saying hi or bye, then you really don't need to be there. go on a road trip or something.

and hell... even if you want to dance or whatever. you have all these couples, all these women that come together as a group that happen to keep to themselves dancing together with the poor guy or girl who looks like an outcast dancing with himself or herself trying to have a good time. what the dance floor ends up looking like is a bunch of self absorbed losers that are acting like they're in a music video where everyone is watching them while they're dancing around basking in the attention they're receiving.

9 times out of 10, if you go to the clubs or bars around my way to get some action, you WILL NOT get any unless the woman steps up to you wanting some. you cannot step up to these woman in the club even just to dance a little bit to have fun. there's no such thing as having a good time in the club/bar unless you know somebody or are willing to stay in a group of people and are content with that alone.

the only time i ever had a good time in the club is when there were people that were willing to have a good time and not acting all anti-social, encouraging us to join them and everybody else in there to get up, dance around and have a good time. we all just had a great time, dancing around and getting drunk, looking like idiots and nobody gave a damn. we were all willing to talk, conversate and at the end of the club, go about our businesses. the other clubs that i went to.. the people in there weren't having that. this is why i rarely go to the club or bars because it's full of anti-social people.
i think this is a valid critique of clubs/bars as places to meet people. most guys that show up without a girl, will end up going home without a girl (or even a phone number!).

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM

6,326 posts, read 11,860,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
A lot goes into a club's rep, from quality of booze to staff friendliness to atmosphere to clientele to "incidents" ... it's a complex equation, but you can be sure that once a bar gets it's "atmosphere" it's pretty much set in stone until a major management / ownership change. So if you have a "rough" bar (biker fights, drug deals, etc.) it's hard to lose that "rep", even if they toss out the bikers and druggies and put Barney The Purple Dinosaur wallpaper in the men's room...

Perception is everything. With the way the usual bar social network works, if you **** off one customer you'll lose 10 from that one incident down the road. It's like wildfire.

Other possible reasons:
  • watered-down booze
  • high prices
  • long wait for service
  • inefficient / lack of security
  • nerd/geek population (unless it's a nerd/geek bar!)
  • mugging / attacks in parking lot / side streets
  • management allows / encourages "rough trade" customers
  • wrong music
Also crowds, loud music to where you can't talk to people, and getting your drinks spilled on you.

Reasons to go to the club however: Hot girls wearing sexy outfits, the smell of perfume, GOOD music, well made drinks, and good times with your friends and entertainment from watching them make an a$$ out of themselves (or other people you don't know doing so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships