Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh* Yeah, the zombie threads. It's weird.

Anyhow. It depends, in my opinion, on if the guy can pull it off. Some can, many can't. It isn't about some arbitrary definition of "looks" for me any more than much of anything is, but all the same. An example in my mind of when a "predatory" gaze was actually pretty hot, was in the film Labyrinth. Like many women who were girl-children of the 80's, I had my share of swooning over Bowie. And no, it hadn't anything to do with his tights. It was the whole power trip thing. I get it far more since getting into kink, that's for sure. He even had a riding crop in the "Dance Magic Dance" song scene! Yowza! But that's not the one I meant, in context of this thread, it was the ballroom masquerade. And the key was, he was not just sitting in one place staring, he was prowling about, appearing here and there, always looking at Sarah. Now that was some masterful use of eye contact!

It was that one scene in the entirety of the film that established the concept of Sarah as not just some wayward teenage child, but a young woman on the threshold of adult sexuality, and he as her would-be suitor. It put an element of romantic and sexual tension into what was otherwise a children's story. And it was beautifully done.

Can just any man pull that off? No. I don't think so. But David Bowie sure could!
Lo!, any typical man tries that, he would actually look even creepier than if he just sat there, staring. Only David Bowie could make something like that work.

I myself wouldn't be able to do that on my most charismatic day. I just don't have that quality. Most guys would have the cops called on them...if not the S.W.A.T. team, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 PM

I just don't see how the predatory gaze can be hot. Even if the woman I had the biggest crush on did that to me, I'd probably vanish for a while. Predatory is just not hot to me...

Old 11-09-2018, 05:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
It’s super hot when I like the guy. Although If I don’t know him yet, it might make me nervous but I’d still find it hot.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM

The only way I could see it working is if there was an air of confidence (one of the biggest factor of creepiness is the lack of confidence).

Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Stare at someone and lick your lips.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I would have to wear a hat and show my abs.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:31 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Lo!, any typical man tries that, he would actually look even creepier than if he just sat there, staring. Only David Bowie could make something like that work.

I myself wouldn't be able to do that on my most charismatic day. I just don't have that quality. Most guys would have the cops called on them...if not the S.W.A.T. team, LOL!!!
Well, with the broader knowledge of the variety of humans in this world, not only would it take a particular kind of man to pull it off (and I can think of more examples than just Bowie!) but he would need to pick his subject with extreme care. Many women would not be receptive to it.

As with most variations on the concept of the "approach" (which still strikes me as such a silly thing, the way it gets talked about) possibly the single most key vital important critical component, is being able to read your subject of interest, and respond to her cues. If you know how to look, people will tell you a ton without speaking a single word.

I think part of the reason that there's a smidge of "yum" for me in thinking about the whole predatory gaze and primal stalking (not like creepy, harassment type stalking) is just the era I grew up in and the stuff I grew up enjoying that shaped a lot of my sexuality. Not just Labyrinth, though that could have been one of the most powerful early films to touch on the idea, but all that sexy vampire stuff of the 90's before the emo kids took over and injected the genre with sparkles and bubblegum. Gary Oldman as Dracula, some of the scenes out of The Lost Boys, and Interview With a Vampire...that kind of stuff was big in my teenage years. The whole vampire thing was very sexual, it was basically all about seduction.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
With a bottle of A1 on the side.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I would have to wear a hat and show my abs.
Lol who needs a hat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
With a bottle of A1 on the side.
How about red hot? We put that s...on everything.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, with the broader knowledge of the variety of humans in this world, not only would it take a particular kind of man to pull it off (and I can think of more examples than just Bowie!) but he would need to pick his subject with extreme care. Many women would not be receptive to it.

As with most variations on the concept of the "approach" (which still strikes me as such a silly thing, the way it gets talked about) possibly the single most key vital important critical component, is being able to read your subject of interest, and respond to her cues. If you know how to look, people will tell you a ton without speaking a single word.

I think part of the reason that there's a smidge of "yum" for me in thinking about the whole predatory gaze and primal stalking (not like creepy, harassment type stalking) is just the era I grew up in and the stuff I grew up enjoying that shaped a lot of my sexuality. Not just Labyrinth, though that could have been one of the most powerful early films to touch on the idea, but all that sexy vampire stuff of the 90's before the emo kids took over and injected the genre with sparkles and bubblegum. Gary Oldman as Dracula, some of the scenes out of The Lost Boys, and Interview With a Vampire...that kind of stuff was big in my teenage years. The whole vampire thing was very sexual, it was basically all about seduction.
I agree!

Hell, even women are going to have a hard time making it work towards men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships