Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 10:12 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who are these women looking for a money tree? If that were true, university enrollments wouldn't be majority women, even for many professional degree fields. What kind of women are you hanging out with? It sounds like you're dating HS grads or CC grads.

There are quite a few YouTube videos giving tips to women to step up their hypergamy games. It's called "leveling up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are quite a few YouTube videos giving tips to women to step up their hypergamy games. It's called "leveling up."

LOL. You can find anything you want online if you look hard enough for it. Just like every year you can find articles about a writer finding a couple of chicks in NYC or LA dating for meals. I prefer to let reality shape my views, and having dated for 30 something years in states all over, I've yet to run into one of these, and haven't heard of anyone running into one of these.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Et tu, Ralph Kirk? You're smarter than that. I have great respect for your posting, generally.

In this day and age, the videos you mention are anachronisms. Society for the most part has moved on. Sure, there will be a few evolutionary throwbacks here and there, but they're a shrinking breed.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:47 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I have a woman friend who is the opposite.

She says most men are intimadated by her because she is very well off and worked for the same company for 27 years.

She says men she meets want a woman they feel they have to save and do things for....usually prefer to be the bread winner.

When they find out well off she is, it foils their plans to find a woman that needs to rely upon a man.

The men she meets feel the need to be relied upon all the time.
I've not met many men like that. Times are different these days. I think your woman friend is just searching for a reason why she is alone. That's the only thing she can think of.

I don't know any men these days who prefer to be the main breadwinner.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:20 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Et tu, Ralph Kirk? You're smarter than that. I have great respect for your posting, generally.

In this day and age, the videos you mention are anachronisms. Society for the most part has moved on. Sure, there will be a few evolutionary throwbacks here and there, but they're a shrinking breed.

Well, these are young women making recent videos, so I don't know if it's shrinking or not. Historically, women have "married up," and there are videos as well from woman celebrities and even news spots about how difficult it's becoming for women to continue to "marry up,." Again, is it really shrinking when it's a valid network news item that it's harder for women to "marry up" these days...and that's presented as a problem for women?

Until the mass of women are willing to "marry down" as men have done historically, it's hard to say that those who are seeking to "marry up" are a shrinking breed. I don't think professional women have come to that gut realization yet.

But that is a reminder of the danger of generalizations from either direction. There are some women out there who are doubling down on being gold-diggers, and there are men who have "taken the red pill" in reaction and are "going their own way" to be deliberate players.

This is creating some different rules of the game for wealthier men such as, "Never marry a woman who makes less than you" in order to avoid the divorce trap of being forced to maintain a woman for life at "the manner to which she has become accustomed." Laws have not caught up to the new relationship realities.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
What laws? How are laws coming into this? People generally marry peers because that is who they meet and have things in common with. Been that way for over a generation.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Well, these are young women making recent videos, so I don't know if it's shrinking or not. Historically, women have "married up," and there are videos as well from woman celebrities and even news spots about how difficult it's becoming for women to continue to "marry up,." Again, is it really shrinking when it's a valid network news item that it's harder for women to "marry up" these days...and that's presented as a problem for women?

Until the mass of women are willing to "marry down" as men have done historically, it's hard to say that those who are seeking to "marry up" are a shrinking breed. I don't think professional women have come to that gut realization yet.

But that is a reminder of the danger of generalizations from either direction. There are some women out there who are doubling down on being gold-diggers, and there are men who have "taken the red pill" in reaction and are "going their own way" to be deliberate players.

This is creating some different rules of the game for wealthier men such as, "Never marry a woman who makes less than you" in order to avoid the divorce trap of being forced to maintain a woman for life at "the manner to which she has become accustomed." Laws have not caught up to the new relationship realities.
There are also women who are marrying down, and that's been happening for....idk, since sometime in the 90's, when I noticed it. The trend doesn't fit the cliche news grinder, so you don't hear about it much. It's been a quiet trend, though.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:

All types. All types

What is "marrying up" or "marrying down" anyway? Both men and women have their preferences. And generally, that is what they go for.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I have to laugh at the idea that a woman is horrible for trying to marry a man with more money than she has.

And men can marry "up" without being labeled a gold digger or prostitute, the labels that many women get.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 01-25-2020 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have to laugh at the idea that a woman is horrible for trying to marry a man with more money than she has.

And men can marry "up" without being labeled a gold digger or prostitute, the labels that many women get.
The interesting thing about men marrying "up", is that the people warning women about them are other men, not women, generally. It's such a common warning to women who own their own home, that one might conclude it's very common. If not "marrying up", then at least--marrying for free shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships