Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you found out your boyfreind was a registered sex offender you would.....
Break it off immediately, no questions asked 51 41.46%
Find out the circumstances surrounding the incident an go from there 71 57.72%
Leave the past in the past and continue to date him 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
All the reasons you stated are exactly the reason I could not continue a relationship with a registered offender, no matter how minor the offense. Unfortunately they are all treated the same once they register and it is too big of an obstacle to deal with for me.
Exactly. Is that how it is ... none of them can be around kids? Even someone who was peeing in the bushes, or a 19-year-old who had a 15-year-old girlfriend? Not that the latter is okay, but it's not on par with violent rape or pedophilia.

I'm just thinking of a lifetime of challenges. Can't ever have a birthday party for your kid with dad there. Can't ever let dad take the kid to play ball in the park. No sleepovers. No school plays. Oh wow ... would the school know? I don't think I could deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Exactly. Is that how it is ... none of them can be around kids? Even someone who was peeing in the bushes, or a 19-year-old who had a 15-year-old girlfriend? Not that the latter is okay, but it's not on par with violent rape or pedophilia.

I'm just thinking of a lifetime of challenges. Can't ever have a birthday party for your kid with dad there. Can't ever let dad take the kid to play ball in the park. No sleepovers. No school plays. Oh wow ... would the school know? I don't think I could deal with it.
I'm not so sure that once you are on it that you have to be on it for life, or that it automaticly says you cant be around kids. I think sometimes, depending on the offense, you can get to a point where you don't have to register anymore.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
I'm very torn. I fell in love with a man and his children are adults now and very successful. I found out by googling his name that he is a registered sex offender. Oh, the shock!!! Once we talked about it, I learned that he was willing to answer any questions and that he felt ashamed about it. He described himself as a modern day leper. He attends church regularly and has a great relationship with his ex wife and children. Even though, his daughter was one of the one time victims. My question is this... Can you be a one time sexual offender? Touching someone who is under the age of 10? And can you be healed? I believe in God and I am not here to judge. I know God is able to do anything if we are willing to ask and accept and surrender.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadkins1218 View Post
I'm very torn. I fell in love with a man and his children are adults now and very successful. I found out by googling his name that he is a registered sex offender. Oh, the shock!!! Once we talked about it, I learned that he was willing to answer any questions and that he felt ashamed about it. He described himself as a modern day leper. He attends church regularly and has a great relationship with his ex wife and children. Even though, his daughter was one of the one time victims. My question is this... Can you be a one time sexual offender? Touching someone who is under the age of 10? And can you be healed? I believe in God and I am not here to judge. I know God is able to do anything if we are willing to ask and accept and surrender.
Yes... many individuals are one-time sex offenders. It's completely possible and completely probable. HOWEVER, touching someone under 10 makes him a pedophile. There's no such thing as a one-time pedophile. I would not be interested in introducing any of my family or friends to a pedophile. It's like an allergy... anything, in the right conditions, can trigger an episode. Too risky for me.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's exactly the way I look at it. If I found that out prior to meeting or very early on, I'd give him up. If it is later, it depends, but still way too much rides on it to marry such a person or even be with him long-term as it pretty much means unemployment forever... If you intend to have kids, it's probably even worse. It sucks because I don't consider this a crime at all, but it is what it's been made to be...
you just cant get govt jobs, any civilian employer worth their salt will over look something like that as long as the guy is highly skilled. People and employers are starting to wake up to the fact that our govt and especially our court system is a total joke.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:53 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
I voted break it off. No questions asked.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
I'd have to say, the public urination and the overage boyfriend/underage girlfriend HS couple are the only two permissible examples. I think that the latter situation is better settled by Judge Dad in the living room rather than a criminal court, but evidently the law and I do not agree. Anyway...

Pedophilia? Rape? Gross age difference? Busy hands? Run the hell away.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I'd find out the circumstances first. Even if it was insignificant, if it was something that would follow him around for the rest of his life...or even 10 years, I'd probably bail. That's sad too, because as others have posted, it could be a stupid, one-time incident, which probably shouldn't have even been classified as a "sex crime", that earned the guy that title.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's exactly the way I look at it. If I found that out prior to meeting or very early on, I'd give him up. If it is later, it depends, but still way too much rides on it to marry such a person or even be with him long-term as it pretty much means unemployment forever... If you intend to have kids, it's probably even worse. It sucks because I don't consider this a crime at all, but it is what it's been made to be...

eh very few jobs actually do background checks so i disagree there.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Well most states have a age exception of 4 years so the aforementioned situation won't happen most likely. But even so it really depends on the situation....if it was a teacher having sex with a student at 18 or 19 ~yes in most states it is illegal~ then i might give a chance. If he was caught grabbing a 10 year old then no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships