Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

331 posts, read 736,525 times

Advertisements

I often have women assume things about me because of my heritage, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. How does your background affect the way people perceive you in the dating world?

BTW I am of Indian heritage, born and raised in UK, living in LA for the last 5 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,411,557 times
Sexual attraction trumps most hatred.

EDIT: I'm sure I didn't answer your question. Most pre-judgement is harmless and can easily be disproved; that is, if you are not like the stereotype. Even stereotypes aren't inherently bad, just for most of us inaccurate.

Last edited by Mr. Humble; 09-20-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM

529 posts, read 1,302,716 times
During grad school I was once told by a girl she wouldn't date me because hispanic guys are known to abuse women. I was like "Oh, really??"

Hooking up was apparently ok for her though.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,278,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
During grad school I was once told by a girl she wouldn't date me because hispanic guys are known to abuse women. I was like "Oh, really??"

Hooking up was apparently ok for her though.
Ha-ha, that's a well-known fact and it has nothing to do with heritage per se. Different types of people are needed for different purposes! That's why so many of us have a hell of a time finding all traits combined in one person.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,042,314 times
Reminds me of the old joke about the guy sitting next to a woman on an airplane who is reading Cosmo. He looks over her shoulder and notices that the article she is reading claims that Polish men have the longest penises and that Native Americans have the biggest girth.

The guy extends his hand and says, "Hi, I'm Tonto Kowalski, nice to meet you."

Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, that's a well-known fact and it has nothing to do with heritage per se. Different types of people are needed for different purposes! That's why so many of us have a hell of a time finding all traits combined in one person.
On Sunday I met a Korean-American lady who claimed she was Christian & wanted to date a Christian guy. I made it quite clear to her that I am not and I never will be a Christian. She still wanted to meet, so we did...and then afterwards she asked to go back to mine...

You can imagine what purpose she has for me!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,352 times
Yes. Should it? No. Most people don't really know what to make of stereotypes. They may not believe in them but at the same time don't know how go against them.

I dated a white girl who family took issue with me being black. She was told that her and I simply didn't have the same "values"(whatever that meant) I work hard, pay my bills, enjoy life, non drug user, non violent etc. She felt she should be the obedient daughter and listen to them....fast forward 13 years and we reconnect. Her husband, who evidently had the same "values" her family wanted(being white) beat her, cheated on her, and basically tore her down emotionally.

Stereotypes are bits of valid info blown waaaaay the hell out of proportion. Do some black guys have bad credit? Yes. Do some from India smell like curry? Yes. Do some white people have horrible rhythm? Yes....etc. None of those question's, or answers are wrong. What IS wrong is labeling an entire race or gender with those same question's and responses. Race relations and stereotypes are a revolving door, with each successive generation finding their own footing.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Until I came here, I didn't realise how badly Indian men are thought of in the US by a lot of women. It's not the same in UK. Due to different immigration patterns, most Indian guys in UK were born and raised there; they're very mainstream and not thought of as funny or weird. This isn't the case in the US.

My British accent overrides a lot of the anti-Indian stereotypes.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,278,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
On Sunday I met a Korean-American lady who claimed she was Christian & wanted to date a Christian guy. I made it quite clear to her that I am not and I never will be a Christian. She still wanted to meet, so we did...and then afterwards she asked to go back to mine...

You can imagine what purpose she has for me!
I can imagine you're not complaining...

Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I can imagine you're not complaining...
Of course not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships