Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times

Advertisements

Wow, you're really torn up over this dude.

As my 90-year-old grandfather would say, "It's gotta be one of three things. He's got a lot of money, he's got a fast line, or he's a good stud."

Or it's option 4: You are 18 years old and you just experienced your first break-up. There will be MANY more, so get used to them.

Oh, and I will offer one GUARANTEE: At 28, you will look back and laugh your a** off about the fact that you were so twisted over this loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
dont isolate get counseling. join a support group asap.
you had a life before him-- you have a life after him.
we get a second chance at love (if we want it) down the road, but breakups are an opportunity for
self improvement.

http://www.sdccoda.org/

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Maybe you made him into a "hero", "a saint" in your mind. All people have weaknesses. Find his and focus on them, to help you cope.

Special connections are great. But they repeat. You will have a special connection again with someone.

I think the best way to forget is to go on rebound. Join some dating website and try new people. You are hoping that he will return and that's probably what's holding you back. Tell yourself that he died and that you need to move on.

The fact that it did not work out between you two shows that things were not as perfect as you made them out to be in your head. He must not have loved you as much as you did him. You need someone who loves you. So this was not the right person for you.

What helps me is to think that Life is MOMENTS. Tell yourself that life consists of good and bad moments. Good ones are there for us to enjoy. But they will end. Always. And the bad ones are there to survive through, to pass through. And they will come. Always. Everything is temporary. Everything passes.

Life is about a set of different experiences. You had one experience. Now you are having another one. It's all adding up to your experiences. Now go get another experience. Do something crazy (for you). (Sometimes I feel like doing something like that when I feel bad). Maybe that will help to alleviate.

Sign up on interpals website and see if you can talk to people. Don't think of them as your future guy, but just think of them as "good times to have temporarily". And maybe you will even find someone. But the most important thing: focus on moments. And know that bad moments will always follow the good ones and you just have to accept it. And that might help to bear them.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
You wasted 4 months of your youth pining away for some guy? Believe me, no matter how wonderful he was, he's not worth it.

Go out and do something, anything, and rejoin the real world. Get some dreams and aspirations of your own. Finish your education.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_NewYorkers View Post
This was our site, and i haven't changed it a bit, but i haven't been on anymore, this was our dream to move to New York. Now, why bother? Today is our would-be anniversary. I am serverely depressed and my life is still upside down, and it's been almost 4 months since he left. I wonder if he will contact me today. I pray he will, and i just hurt so bad i know i am not even making any sense. I can't explain what all has ahppened, or how i feel. just that i need him. And i don't want to go on without him another day. I can't do thisd anymore. Time keeps flying by, and i just watch. I have tried so hard to go on, and i have been doing good. But i can't imagine my life without my other half. He's the reason i breathe, HOW do i go on? Wisdom please. Make this little girl believe i have a reason to go on.

I'm sorry your feeling all this pain, darlin'.

Yes, it will take time, but you will meet a new love.

Please take gentle good care of yourself.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I know it hurts, and I'm sorry for that. But seldom is the person you meet in high school right for you. You will change a lot over the next decade, and meet men more appropriate for who you become.

You have to make a concerted effort to maintain emotional balance (go work out, throw yourself into studying...) or you'll end up like some posters on this thread!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM

116 posts, read 153,439 times
My patented, Five Part, Never Fails, Get Over A Breakup plan:

1) Watch some movies featuring strong women kicking a**, to remind you a woman can be strong and amazing regardless of whether or not there's a man in her life: Alien, Suckerpunch, Ultraviolet, Tomb Raider, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, etc.

2) If you've got an iPod or other MP3 player, make a playlist of "good riddance!" songs; listen to it often, sing along, get all the rage and sadness out of your system and look forward to the day you no longer feel like listening to it. Try: You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrisette, Believe by Cher, You're So Vain by Carly Simon, You're No Good by Linda Rhonstadt, Even It Up by Heart, Big Gun by Ice-T, Cell Block Tango from the Chicago soundtrack, Crucify by Tori Amos, Everything Back But You and I Can Do Better by Avril Lavigne, Express Yourself by Madonna, I'm Not OK by My Chemical Romance and Love Me Dead by Ludo.

3) Find another obsession to replace your obsession about HIM, and make it something that will make you feel good about yourself, and maybe even look back on the breakup with gratitude someday since that was what spurred you toward this great, new thing. What have you always wanted to try, but never have? Writing? Art? Music lessons? Take this opportunity, and all the time and energy you used to devote to HIM, and shift the focus back to YOU.

4) Anytime you realize you're stuck in a 'bad thoughts' track or feel a sudden pang of despair, immediately do 5 stomach crunches. If you're in public or someplace else where you can't lie down to do them, just tighten and release your abs 5 times. The physical activity makes your brain yank the needle out of the obsessive thoughts record so it can focus on the coordination needed to do the crunches, and believe it or not, when you're done your mind will NOT immediately jump right back to the bad thoughts. Bonus: by the time the bad thoughts are completely gone you'll have a flatter stomach, the better to appeal to someone new when you're ready.

5) Remember: nobody who's totally happy with their relationship breaks up, and nobody who's in a happy marriage gets a divorce. The fact that you've broken up is proof that the relationship was not a happy one. Change is hard, and growth doesn't often come without some hard lessons. You can't build a new house until the old one has been completely demolished. You're not a loser or a failure, you're clearing your life's decks for whatever's next, for something better. That's a GOOD thing.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Your young, your brain isn't even done forming yet. Fortunately, Most the entire population has no regrets over high school break ups just a few years later. I know that doesn't help now, but you will recover and it won't be forever!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 AM

104 posts, read 99,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
Maybe you made him into a "hero", "a saint" in your mind. All people have weaknesses. Find his and focus on them, to help you cope.

Special connections are great. But they repeat. You will have a special connection again with someone.

I think the best way to forget is to go on rebound. Join some dating website and try new people. You are hoping that he will return and that's probably what's holding you back. Tell yourself that he died and that you need to move on.

The fact that it did not work out between you two shows that things were not as perfect as you made them out to be in your head. He must not have loved you as much as you did him. You need someone who loves you. So this was not the right person for you.

What helps me is to think that Life is MOMENTS. Tell yourself that life consists of good and bad moments. Good ones are there for us to enjoy. But they will end. Always. And the bad ones are there to survive through, to pass through. And they will come. Always. Everything is temporary. Everything passes.

Life is about a set of different experiences. You had one experience. Now you are having another one. It's all adding up to your experiences. Now go get another experience. Do something crazy (for you). (Sometimes I feel like doing something like that when I feel bad). Maybe that will help to alleviate.

Sign up on interpals website and see if you can talk to people. Don't think of them as your future guy, but just think of them as "good times to have temporarily". And maybe you will even find someone. But the most important thing: focus on moments. And know that bad moments will always follow the good ones and you just have to accept it. And that might help to bear them.

Thank you very much, i will try to see life in "moments"

Old 10-04-2011, 09:06 AM

104 posts, read 99,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Your young, your brain isn't even done forming yet. Fortunately, Most the entire population has no regrets over high school break ups just a few years later. I know that doesn't help now, but you will recover and it won't be forever!
You know, i really hope you're right and i look back and shake my head like i do some of my other relatiosnhips i thought were "serious", but i didnt know what serious was then. I just wish the time would come sooner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships