Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,025 times

Advertisements

Hy,
For the story, I work in a small smart agency with a cool boss but he would like to change the individuals offices in open space to improve relationship and efficiency in the team. I don't really know if it's good or not for us (in term of collaboration, atmosphere, efficiency,..)
So please give me your opinion on the subject and don't hesitate to propose other organization layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
You have offices and you WANT damn cubes?! Has your mind been checked lately...?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
The open office has been the trend for many years now. The main reason is to encourage collaboration. An open office is not enough to achieve this however. An open office with 6 ft.high cubes does not change much- people are still isolated. An open office requires some collaboration space- meeting rooms but more importantly places where casual interraction takes place. This is where most creative interraction takes place.
Many people resist this sort of change- it depends what you do. Some people do not work collaboratively well, or even need to. But here's the catch: in order for this change to be effective, the whole office culture has to change- that means everyone has to buy into it.
In a creative shop I think this is the way to go. The downside is- you have to go to a room to have a private phone conversation AND its not a s easy to be on CD when you should be working!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
The open office has been the trend for many years now. The main reason is to encourage collaboration. An open office is not enough to achieve this however. An open office with 6 ft.high cubes does not change much- people are still isolated. An open office requires some collaboration space- meeting rooms but more importantly places where casual interraction takes place. This is where most creative collaboration takes place.
Many people resist this sort of change- it depends what you do. Some people do not work collaboratively. But here's the catch: in order for this change to be effective, the whole office culture has to change- that means everyone has to buy into it.
In a creative shop I think this is the way to go. The downside is- you have to go to a room to have a private phone conversation!
It has nothing to do with collaboration! It's all about saving money and control by depriving you of any privacy. I can't speak for all work places, but in mine you're not encouraged to talk about work matters. Everything's done over e-mails and IM's, even if the person happens to be in the cube next to yours. As annoying as I find that, it makes some sense - you have records. In short, the only "advantage" of the cubes is the unbearable noise, claustrophobic feeling, and fluorescent lights. It can, but in reality it doesn't facilitate any "collaboration"!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I work in a cubicle. This is my first cubicle experience and there is no privacy. Granted, most organizations want you working while at work. My company requires personnel to be at the management level or higher to be considered privileged enough for an office with a door. I feel this is appropriate since they do the hiring, the reprimanding, and the firing.

But I think the cubicle stuff has gotten out of control. I'd love to find myself in a true office again someday.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It has nothing to do with collaboration! It's all about saving money and control by depriving you of any privacy. I can't speak for all work places, but in mine you're not encouraged to talk about work matters. Everything's done over e-mails and IM's, even if the person happens to be in the cube next to yours. As annoying as I find that, it makes some sense - you have records. In short, the only "advantage" of the cubes is the unbearable noise, claustrophobic feeling, and fluorescent lights. It can, but in reality it doesn't facilitate any "collaboration"!
S.AZ- I think you are wrong. Of course it all depends of the type of work you do. Such a change usually involves a lot of expense, so its not about the money. Imagine- you have to tear out the hardwalls, re-do the ceilings and lighting, and then buy (or lease) the office systems furniture.
In my experience this has been driven by a sincere belief that walls are barriers to collaboration and that (if the work to be done is somewhat complex) people need to be unihibited about getting together and working things out. It also wastes time to have to leave your room and go to another's only to find out that that person is not there or is on the phone.
At my old office even the bosses were in open space (low walled cubes). If something sensitive had to be discussed they went to a conference room.
I agree with you about e-mails. It seems like the only way people can communicate any more and i find it totally annoying.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,025 times
Default how to improve open office?

Thank you for your comments, my boss was sensitive to your "bad" experiences. But our office are old so we need to find something.
Do you know a modern and efficient example of office organization?
Thanks

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacha33 View Post
Hy,
For the story, I work in a small smart agency with a cool boss but he would like to change the individuals offices in open space to improve relationship and efficiency in the team. I don't really know if it's good or not for us (in term of collaboration, atmosphere, efficiency,..)
So please give me your opinion on the subject and don't hesitate to propose other organization layout.
Thank you for your comments, my boss was sensitive to your "bad" experiences. But our office are old so we need to find something.
Thanks

Since this IS a relationship forum I think you are sleeping with the boss.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I worked for a company that got rid of all the traditional offices and went to an open concept plan where everyone was just 'out there'. JMHO but it caused a huge drop in productivity. HUGE!

One big negative was the noise level. It was never quiet. And if someone came up to converse with a co-worker, it distracted several other people trying to work. People are naturally inquisitive and nosy. Yes, they wanted to know the results of your annual gynecological exam and what subjects your kids had trouble with at school.

I'll never forget the day I got a job offer from a competitor who was also a customer..... You could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was listening so hard to my conversation on the phone that ALL work stopped!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacha33 View Post
Thanks
No suggestions for you with out have a drawing of your existing floor plan. BUT you might want to check out some systems furniture on line, such as Herman Miller's "Canvas" system. We're looking at that in an 8 X8 ft module right now where I work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships