Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,039,029 times

Advertisements

Im 24....and lately Ive been hearing that as you get older and are married, its more important than ever you have plenty of female friends as time goes by.

Is this true? If it is, WHY?

All my life Ive had very, very VERY little use for female company, and quite often feel awkward amongst members of my own gender. I cringe inwardly when I think of 'girls night' with a bunch of women, and since Ive heard its essential to HAVE female friends, I just wonder why.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,239,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im 24....and lately Ive been hearing that as you get older and are married, its more important than ever you have plenty of female friends as time goes by.

All my life Ive had very, very VERY little use for female company, and quite often feel awkward amongst members of my own gender. I cringe inwardly when I think of 'girls night' with a bunch of women, and since Ive heard its essential to HAVE female friends, I just wonder why.

It basically comes down to not losing yourself as a person and continuing to do the things you used to do before. This is just an example of something common among other women. However, if you had no need for female company before, there's no reason to have it after getting married.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM

11,812 posts, read 12,062,693 times
I don't know about the plenty part, but a few good female friends can really get you by in life. There is more to who you are than just the married part of you. I have maybe a half dozen really good, close girlfriends and I'd be lost without them. Three of them are long distance so much of our friendship is via phone and email, but they all are as essential to me as the air I breathe.

In the case of my mom, she and my dad did everything together, joined at the hip. He died unexpectedly earlier this year and she is lost without him and floundering because she didn't put much into friendships, and there aren't a lot of people in her support system now.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM

I KNOW plenty of females, many Ive known for years and years...but they are held at a distance. Im a social critter and make it my habit to be well connected with alot of people...Im personable as well as memorable.
I simply dont allow them very close...

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

It's definitely true. That way when everyone divorces, you can all just switch up.

Keep your friends.

Yes. That's a joke.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM

438 posts, read 1,732,365 times
The older I get the more I appreciate having people around me who genuinely care about me and where there's a back and forth trust built up. The early stages of marriage and then having children, you tend to lose yourself and everyone else's needs/wants take priority.

Your friends are the ones who keep you sane, they laugh with you, cry with you, and remind you to take time for yourself. There are moments in your life where it's nice to know there are people who have your back - death of a spouse, divorce, illness, etc.

eta: I've always had more male friends than female but the female friends I have I treasure.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Most friends Ive known since grade school, several Ive known since I was 6 years old...All are male...

My marriage though, there will be no children. Just myself and my husband. Do you think this will improve things and make it so we both can branch out and continue our own interests instead of 'losing' ourselves?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,022,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's definitely true. That way when everyone divorces, you can all just switch up.

Keep your friends.

Yes. That's a joke.
...Wife swap...

I think my head just exploded.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
...Wife swap...

I think my head just exploded.
*Puts a band aid on it*

Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 PM

663 posts, read 1,083,097 times
What's important to you socially need not change once you get married, IMO. Do what you're comfortable with. Female friends can be a source of support for a lot of women, I can see that. I also know from personal experience some people don't need that as much. You have to judge what works for you.

I'm not a "girls night out" type either and while I have a few close friends, my social life is close to nil and by choice. It's just not important to me. I have a friend whose social life is one of her top priorities and that's great, she knows herself and what works for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships