Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM

109 posts, read 126,260 times

Advertisements

We all have (had) them:

The best I ever had.
The one who really loved me.
The one who was always there.
The one I left for someone else.
The one who left me for someone else.
The one I'd rather be with.
The one love I could never have.

For me, the last two lines ring true for the one that got away. I met him (officially) in college. Tall, wavy hair, boyish smile, computer major, varsity player. Friend of a friend. We had been introduced thrice before we really talked to each other. It was our vacant period and we just happened to be lounging in the same area. We began talking about mutual friends. He asked me stuff about where I hung out. When we said goodbye half an hour later, I knew that he was the one. Too bad the school year was about to end and I never saw him again.

I love summer and I never want it to end. Except for that summer. That was the only summer in my life that I wanted to end soon so the next school year would start. Guess why? First day of school, my wish came true and I saw him again. This time, I had to keep my heart from pounding.

A month later we were hanging out an hour a day between classes. We both loved cartoon network and he just made my sides ache from laughing at his imitation of cartoon characters. At first, there were other guys hanging out with us and they would all joke around. I would just laugh and laugh. And fall harder and harder for him.

Eventually, it was just the two of us. We began talking about serious stuff, relationships... Then he told me that we were the most compatible personalities, based on our signs. I swear I fell of my chair when he said that, but maybe I just froze and managed a nonchalant, "Really?"

We began going home together. The first time he brought me home, I waited behind the blinds until he had backed out of the street... then screamed the whole house down that the maid came running in asking what happened to me. Once, I was about to go home when he saw me and asked if I could wait for him (he had one more class) so we could go home together. I said okay. I do not like waiting more than 10 mins for anyone, but I agreed to wait 1 hour just because he asked me to. We stopped by the mall. A friend of mine saw us and asked if he was my bf. I vehemently denied it, giving her the "don't say another word!" look. In my nervousness, I asked my crush to leave since (I said) I had a few errands. He was reluctant, but I insisted. Truth was, I felt like my heart would explode if he stayed with me another minute.

Slowly, gradually, he stopped hanging at "our" place. Previously, when the boys would drag him to a dorm, he'd rather stay with me and tell the boys that he'd just keep me company. Or he would ask me if it was okay (its never ok when he left, but I just smiled like, "Of course! Why wouldn't it be?"). Later on, he would just wave to me and signal that he'll be hanging with the boys.

And that's it. I still want him so bad after all these years. Even after all the serious relationships I've had. He's my perfect guy--in looks, humor, the way he talks, his ways, everything. A friend of mine who went to high school with him told me what he was like then and it was everything I expected and wanted. How I wish I had made the most of that day at the mall. I wish we had become more than friends. I've loved some of the boyfriends I've had, but I could never imagine being married to them, even when we talked about a life together. But the one that got away, I can truly imagine myself married to him. I wish he would be the one for me.

So what's your story? =D

Last edited by stargazermunsta; 09-21-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,196 times
So where is he? Track him down. It's the google age.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,113 times
I agree with Humble, Look for him, at least you will know...be prepared though, someone that great, has probably been swooped up...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I agree with Humble, Look for him, at least you will know...be prepared though, someone that great, has probably been swooped up...
Yeah, she sounds sincere, like she really loved this guy. The only reference she made to her age or how much time has passed was, "after all these years."

But OP, even it has been a decade or two, he could easily be divorced by now. The odds are probably in your favor!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Or has changed, perhaps for the worse ...

The past is a nice place to visit, but stay there too long and you'll go insane.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM

109 posts, read 126,260 times
Of course I am his biggest stalker. The thing is, he is practically untraceable. I have moved miles away and have no contact. He doesn't even appear on the pages of his old classmates. Last news I heard about him was that he was about to get married but it didn't push through. That was years ago. I so hope he hasn't married yet.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazermunsta View Post
Of course I am his biggest stalker. The thing is, he is practically untraceable. I have moved miles away and have no contact. He doesn't even appear on the pages of his old classmates. Last news I heard about him was that he was about to get married but it didn't push through. That was years ago. I so hope he hasn't married yet.
I honestly think you could find DB Cooper these days if you were determined enough.

I don't think you really want him, OP.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Or has changed, perhaps for the worse ...

The past is a nice place to visit, but stay there too long and you'll go insane.
Stay there long enough and the past changes places with the present. I think sometimes these things work out and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, you won't know until you risk it.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Stay there long enough and the past changes places with the present. I think sometimes these things work out and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, you won't know until you risk it.
Have to disagree with you - I don't believe the past can ever catch up to nor replace the present, just as the present can never predict the future.

Change is constant.

That being said, I agree that it could work out but it will NEVER be quite the same again. Once that moment is gone it's gone forever.

Hence, "living in the moment", carpe diem and all those other old saws.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazermunsta View Post
He's not on Facebook? Hire a private investigator. He'll either be thrilled that you went to such lengths to find him and you'll share a passionate kiss in the rain like "The Notebook," or he'll take out an order of protection. Either way, you will have closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships