Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,700,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Just brings up another double standard. It's OK for the female to be financially wreckless with 100,000 student debt and no ability to financially contribute to a relationship, but if the guy uses so much as a coupon on a date, then he's a loser. Yawn.
Don't see anyone claiming that's okay. Guys can be just as picky about their partner's earning potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,793,726 times
I would think that more and more people are looking for a "bargain" in this economic climate. Would you rather he had taken you to the local diner and paid in full? If you can use coupons in a supermarket or a department store, to save a few bucks which can go towards something else, what's wrong with that? When a store has a sale going on and you see a dress you want, do you pass it buy until the sale is over and then go in to get it at full price?

The money he saved on that coupon can go towards another nice date (with a coupon??), if there is one.

Don't be so quick to judge. Soon enough you will find out if he is cheap or just wise with his money. If you were a "couple" would using a coupon be any different? Spend some, save some.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,728,056 times
Quote:
Your world must be incapable of objectively looking at a situation if you don't see the double standard in women being allowed to be financially insecure in a relationship, but men not.
Oh I see it around. No doubt. But I play by my own rules on that one(my world). I am just stating the reasons I have my opinion. One logical reason that could be though is if they plan on having kids its easier for a male to stay working and not face possible career interruptions the woman would. And the possible factor of women getting paid less. Or the guy just wants a stay at home mom or one that does not have such a demanding career.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,290,346 times
Quote:
Your world must be incapable of objectively looking at a situation if you don't see the double standard in women being allowed to be financially insecure in a relationship, but men not.
A man is supposed to show he will be able to take care of his woman and all that chivalry stuff that women like. Women want to feel financially secure with the man who's taking her out and maybe seeing marriage in the future. Maybe be one of the reasons why women rather date men who are above their level or at the very least, the same.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,039,233 times
When you marry this guy you're on a first date with and birth his offspring, won't you want him to be smart with the family budget, which would include using coupons when he is able? Then what is wrong with him doing it on the first date?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,913,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A man is supposed to show he will be able to take care of his woman and all that chivalry stuff that women like. Women want to feel financially secure with the man who's taking her out and maybe seeing marriage in the future. It's just the way it is specially in western culture.
Equal rights for women, but not equal responsibility. And the beat goes on.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,854,779 times
I don't really see a point to this back-and-forth. The honest truth is that there are very few women out there who are ok with not having the guy pay in full on the first date for whatever reason. It's not a good or bad thing, that's just how it is.

Now on CD there will be a few that will never admit to that because they rise above the social stigma, but the reality is that most women out there will look down on a guy for using a coupon (by choice or otherwise) on that first date. After a couple more dates it's probably ok or even encouraged, so guys: suck it up and pay those first couple dates in full.

Another piece of advice, don't fall for the dutch rule on the first date. The guy should pay, that's that. It's common courtesy for the woman to offer to go dutch on that first date, but the guy should politely decline. If the woman is insistant, tell her she can buy dessert (or better yet, tell her she can take YOU to coffee next week!)

Personally, if I took a woman to a restaurant on the first date and she whipped out a groupon, I'd drive her to the nearest Pawn Shop and put a ring on her finger.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,728,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A man is supposed to show he will be able to take care of his woman and all that chivalry stuff that women like. It's just the way it is specially in western culture.
I don't look at it as that. I look at as:

- What if I died? How would he be able to take care of the kids?
- What if I lost my job? Would he be able to cover during the unemployment span or would I have to face a major lifestyle change and problematic debt?
- I do not want to live in a ghetto
- What if I had a health problem? Would we have good insurance and money to handle that?
- Does he make prudent financial decisions or only get prudent because he has to because he spends like crazy or just doesn't have it?
- Does he have a problem being generous with others? (selfish)

The whole point is the sum being stronger than its parts. And I ask myself the same questions if he would be facing issues.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,868,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Don't see anyone claiming that's okay. Guys can be just as picky about their partner's earning potential.
but let's be honest, most guys, especially guys of means don't really care about the earning potential of their potential s.o.
heck you see it all the time, millionaire/billionaire/thousandaire marries local high school sweetheart who was a waitress, stripper, struggling single mom, etc. you never here the inverse of that. local millionaire/billionaire/thousandaire woman marries high school dropout, handyman, or dishwasher.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,064,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
on the first date, would you look at him with the face or would you give him the

I'm not saying he's using one of these things at red lobster or the olive garden but a really nice 4 or 5 star restaurant.

would you consider him responsible and frugal or cheap and penny pinching?
I don't think I'd be too worried about it either way, personally. It's a tough economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships