Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,671,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Studies show those who undergo pre-marital counseling have a much lower divorce rate. It could partially due to the fact that those who choose to undergo pre-marital counseling are better prepared in the first place. I'm not going to do the homework and provide a link, but trust me, it's out there if you look.
Indeed. Studies also show marriages with prenups have a lower divorce rate, yet people still respond pejoratively to the proposition. Monkeys will be monkeys, keep getting blasted with the firehose, keep reaching for the banana.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm not sure the potential for abuse, battering and cheating could be detected thru premarital counseling.
Are you a marriage counselling professional?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,262,985 times
I'm divorced and would recommend everyone either see a counselor or take some type of class, etc. before marrying. Doing pre-marital counseling from what I have seen in other couples that made their relationships work, they tell me it helped them tremendously.

I plan to marry again.Not sure about counseling but I will say I am having the conversations now that I didn't have when I married the first time. Probably because experience is a pretty good teacher.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Both the Catholic and Lutheran churches require/recommend premarital sessions, which are generally seen positively by those who attach that particular spiritual significance to marriage. Don't know firsthand about other denominations.
Yes, and they cost nothing. One priest I know had a couple who were 18 years of age, both living with parents and both were not working.

When it got to the part about finances, the two began to realize they weren't ready and they dropped the wedding plans for the time being.

Counseling can help especially if they give you a basic compatibility quiz like how much each makes, how many children each wants and some core questions that many people have actually never discussed. Sometimes it's in these sessions that the couple realizes one wants one child, the other envisions a big happy family with lots of kids and they really need to think it over a bit more.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,717,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Pre-marriage counselling can prevent an ill-advised union. How many women marry men who later turn out to be abusers, batterers, cheats?
Outstanding point. How many men marry women who turn out to be overweight, psychotic, broom-riding hags?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,717,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie8 View Post
Planning to get married? It is better to see a pre marital counselor because he may be able to save your marriage from failure even before you get married. If you wish to lead a happy life with your partner, it is better to undertake the counseling before getting married.
These rackets keep getting more and more creative.

A marriage that needs saving before it takes place to begin with? Please. It's called a marriage that should never happen.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,131,528 times
Pre-marriage counseling should be mandatory in all states. Maybe that would eliminate divorce altogether as it would weed out non-compatible couples because it would give each party the chance to air their grievances.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,512,890 times
Pre-marriage counseling certainly can help. I also support mandatory parenting classes. My grandparents would have sent them there had they known things would have turned out the way they did.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,671,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
These rackets keep getting more and more creative.

A marriage that needs saving before it takes place to begin with? Please. It's called a marriage that should never happen.
If that was the standard, marriage itself would be a statistical outlier. It's a nice thought, but monkeys will be monkeys. People will flock to ill suited companionship before they endure romantic solitude. Monkeys will be monkeys.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Outstanding point. How many men marry women who turn out to be overweight, psychotic, broom-riding hags?
I don't know about the broom-riding part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships