Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:06 PM

49 posts, read 78,094 times

Advertisements

Have you ever felt like this? Or are you feeling it now maybe? Were you jealous of your partner's life, success, opportunities etc? How do you feel when he/she has something you really want? How do you deal with that?

I currently envy my gf a lot. Its the first time for me to feel like this and to be in this kind of situation. She is an american citizen and she has a lot of benefits and opportunities i can only dream of here. And I want that a lot, so i often feel jealous but i am trying to deal with that in a healthy way and not let that to stand between us. It makes me feeling really bad because we arent 'equal' and she also feels bad when i feel bad. But we are trying to deal with that until i come there again and be in a position to keep up with her.

What about your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,668,002 times
Of course I envy my spouse because he gets to be married to me!!LOL!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM

973 posts, read 1,706,812 times
Pedja,
Are you young by chance?? And a student? For I think that age does have a role in your question besides coming from a country that really does not have as many opportunities as there are (or were) in America.

I have many friends from Montenegro and Serbia, and two from Seriba have come to visit me, and they too saw all that you have and more than likely experienced. But, from what we talked about since their visits, I can't say that they are jealous of me really or that they feel "unequal"....but more in awe as to what my daily like is like compared to theirs. Both of them left amazed at how clean it is here, how cheap things are, how new, open and fast everything seems to be, but most importantly how "organized" it is without long lines anywhere (except the attractions) an no one having to "bribe" someone to get something done. I never got the impression that they were jealous at all. However, I have to say that they both have jobs and fairly good ones, so I think that may have played a role in their impresssion and feelings of the USA. And what is weird, is that often I am the one who is jealous of them! I love the closeness of their families; the way they treat each other in their homes; all the culture that is displayed/offered in Belgrade with seemingly never a dull moment compared to my sleepy home. I think it is just human nature to long for what we do not have, but it shouldn't become a wedge between two people.

I think both of you are so lucky in having each other and to experience the different lifestyles of each culture as there are not many couples who could claim that at all! YES, America offers a lot, but so does Montenegro with its scenery and kind-hearted people. Just think of all the possibilities of what can happen to BOTH of you TOGETHER as a couple and do not dwell on the past or what your country is lacking, for it has come a long way inself since the reign of Tito and that way of thinking. PLUS it is a NEW country trying to find its way during the worst of times economically for everyone....and that is something even your gf may have to deal with sooner or later.

I wish you well.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,634,731 times
No way I envy my wife. I can't wait until she make more than me or twice as much. She is very career oriented. I am very proud of her.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
At times I envy him. I always wanted to be talented at something, but I had to settle for being ordinary. I wish I had talent.

That's one of the things I can't change though. All I can do is offer him encouragement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships