U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:22 PM

9,254 posts, read 13,247,517 times

Advertisements

After my previous analogy on dating and the subsequent responses, I've devised an alternate comparison...

Dating is like being a door to door salesman, except the better looking you are, the better product you have.

Let's say the really good looking guy is selling Girl Scout Cookies. Something that has always sold itself. Everybody loves to eat 'em and everybody wants to help those cute little girls raise money for fancy new berets. Similarly, the hot guy, is going to get his foot in the door mostly every time, and he's gonna have to screw something up bad to lose the sale once inside.

Let's say the average looking guy is selling life insurance. Not everybody wants life insurance and some people think its totally dumb. Some people will slam the door. But some people will invite the guy in to their house. From there, it's his job to sell the product. Depending on his 'game', he can sell a lot, or he can suck. Similarly, the average guy will get a lot of chances. If he can capitalize, he could be a very happy guy.

Finally, let's say the well below average guy is selling Paul Anka sings Ozzy Osbourne 8 Tracks for $45 dollars a pop. He's gonna get the door slammed on him mostly every time. On a rare occasion, he might be able to squeeze himself through the door and be heard out, mostly because they feel sorry for him or that person is bored and wants company. But eventually, he won't have a sale. But if he combs enough houses and neighborhoods, maybe hundreds upon hundreds, he may find the one weirdo who wants what everybody else does not. Similarly, the below average guy needs to find the 'special' girl who does not want the traditional looking man.

Opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 PM

232 posts, read 552,550 times
You need to change the things you can and get over the things you can't change. Never allow yourself to get depressed over crap you can't control which will then have you digging yourself into a deeper hole with the crap you can control.

I have seen friends say to themselves..."well, I am ugly and I know it so screw it..." and they play stupid ass video games all day long using that as an excuse saying it's pointless. Then they wake up one day and decide that is not enough, but now they are fat, lazy and ugly. Far worse off than they were before lol

Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM

9,254 posts, read 13,247,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
You need to change the things you can and get over the things you can't change. Never allow yourself to get depressed over crap you can't control which will then have you digging yourself into a deeper hole with the crap you can control.

I have seen friends say to themselves..."well, I am ugly and I know it so screw it..." and they play stupid ass video games all day long using that as an excuse saying it's pointless. Then they wake up one day and decide that is not enough, but now they are fat, lazy and ugly. Far worse off than they were before lol
You're right, man...

Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 7,174,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post

You don't seem like their friend at all.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,442,049 times
Except I feel like there's a limit to how much one can improve. I think a lot of it is natural. In other words, the dude selling Ozzy covers might be able to sell life insurance but not girl scout cookies, no matter how hard he tries.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

14,939 posts, read 15,285,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Finally, let's say the well below average guy is selling Paul Anka sings Ozzy Osbourne 8 Tracks for $45 dollars a pop.

Opinions?

I would pay $45 to hear that.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM

17,866 posts, read 18,995,253 times
Some of the threads I read on these board are the reasons why my head explodes.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 PM

14,939 posts, read 15,285,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Some of the threads I read on these board are the reasons why my head explodes.

I'd pay $45 to hear that, too.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM

17,866 posts, read 18,995,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I'd pay $45 to hear that, too.
It's kinda like this, except not so stick figury.

Funny head explosion - YouTube

Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM

54 posts, read 56,182 times
Where does money/personality/potential come into this?

If she's a dumb women she will open the door to the good looking guy with nothing to offer, but if he has half a brain she'll go for the man that will make and keep her happy in the long run.

I usually go for the men who most would consider below average when it comes to looks, but in every other category is above average. Height, penis size, personality, intellect, income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships