Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 AM

5 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years. He lives in an apartment close to me and I spend a lot of time at his place. His lease is expiring shortly and he is planning on moving closer to work. We had discussed renting a place together when he first moved into his apartment but now I get the feeling he wants to keep things separate as they have been. He has looked at some places without me an has not really divulged any details about his plans.

I really would like to consider getting a place together so we wouldn’t both be paying rent when we spend 5-6 nights together a week anyway. If he moves, my 5min drive to his place will turn into a 45 min drive and my commute to work will almost double if I stay there overnight.

I'm afraid if he chooses to do this solo it will really put a strain on me and our relationship (lots of commuting back and forth and living like a nomad out of bags etc).

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,889 times
Any advice?

Yes, talk to him! I mean nothing we can tell you will change the situation. Just let him know that you want to live together simple.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
If he's not jumping (for joy, that is) at cohabitation, I wouldn't even consider it. I hate the idea of half-hearted commitments or feeling I'm talking them into something. I want unbridled enthusiasm.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin4545 View Post
My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years. He lives in an apartment close to me and I spend a lot of time at his place. His lease is expiring shortly and he is planning on moving closer to work. We had discussed renting a place together when he first moved into his apartment but now I get the feeling he wants to keep things separate as they have been. He has looked at some places without me an has not really divulged any details about his plans.

I really would like to consider getting a place together so we wouldn’t both be paying rent when we spend 5-6 nights together a week anyway. If he moves, my 5min drive to his place will turn into a 45 min drive and my commute to work will almost double if I stay there overnight.

I'm afraid if he chooses to do this solo it will really put a strain on me and our relationship (lots of commuting back and forth and living like a nomad out of bags etc).

Any advice?
IMO, moving in together to save money is not a good idea. Both people should be eager and willing to live together, not just to save on finances. I think it's a red flag if he's not discussing his plans with you, and I'd encourage you to talk to him so you're not guessing at the status of your relationship and future plans.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
IMO, moving in together to save money is not a good idea. Both people should be eager and willing to live together, not just to save on finances. I think it's a red flag if he's not discussing his plans with you, and I'd encourage you to talk to him so you're not guessing at the status of your relationship and future plans.
I agree with this. Talk if you must but that he's not discussing it with you says it all to me.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I agree with this. Talk if you must but that he's not discussing it with you says it all to me.
here we go, please stop putting ideas into her head. For all we know the lad could also be timid about asking her if she wants to move in together.

@ OP - like i said earlier. Talk to him about his plans and see what he says.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
here we go, please stop putting ideas into her head. For all we know the lad could also be timid about asking her if she wants to move in together.

@ OP - like i said earlier. Talk to him about his plans and see what he says.
Sorry, didn't know only some of us were allowed to list possibilities and perspectives. I have been shamed.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Sorry, didn't know only some of us were allowed to list possibilities and perspectives. I have been shamed.
lol, negative nancy.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
You can talk to him about renting a place together, but if he is already looking for a place for himself, you really need to accept the fact that he just may not want what you do! Like already stated, you can talk to him, but just be ready for "no, I'm not ready for that" or whatever he may say to you that you don't want to hear!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM

525 posts, read 900,074 times
It's a big mistake to shack up, cause when you start having problems someone will have to move out. That makes for a big mess. If you love him let him go, if he says he loves you make him come to your house to visit, put the pressure on him I guarantee he runs away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships