Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

I watched this documentary last night - What Females Want and Males Will Do - about the mating behaviors of various animals. I watched it with green eyes, I have to admit! I'd love to be a Greater Sage Grouse or a Gelada!

The animal kingdom has it right! There's so much courting, showing off feathers, spots on wings, patches on the chest, so much noises, calls, chirping, singing, fighting, you name it, on the part of the males! The Geladas even groom their girls! All these males understand that they have to stand out, to show they're the best-looking, the fittest, the best fighters and protectors with the best genes! They know they HAVE to win the attention of the females! None of them wait to be "approached"! None of them play silly games! They know what they want, they know how to get it, and they go for it!

Somehow evolution took a wrong turn when the human species came around and went into regression! Me thinks all whiners, manlets, zeta males, etc. and those who only pass as alphas at first sight should buy this DVD and learn something about being a male! Even the free videos can be of help!

Video: Bachelor Geladas Challenge Chewbacca - What Females Want | Nature

YouTube - NATURE | What Females Want and Males Will Do | Fembot | PBS

Nature: What Females Want...and Males Will Do DVD - shopPBS.org
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
...so much noises, calls, chirping, singing, fighting, you name it, on the part of the males! [URL="http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=3165177"][/URL]
Hmmmm... Sounds like Saturday night at a bar, actually.

But now you know why I love birds.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Hmmmm... Sounds like Saturday night at a bar, actually.
Ha-ha, maybe...

Quote:
But now you know why I love birds.
I don't know if you watched it, but that Grouse was impressive!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Oh, yes. You've found my Achilles heel. If someone posts something involving birds, I'll watch it.

And that grouse reminds me of someone I used to date. He'd puff up and strut around when we were out and other men were in the vicinity, and then stay in close proximity to me. Heh!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i respectfully disagree. mr boy tarantula's primary talents are bringing her something really good to eat to the date, and then making a very fast departure right after that meal, so he does not end up dessert (happens alot). for humans its much easier, just dont stare at his neck and lick your lips so much and he will ask you out.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
No grouses about them grouses!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM

You might find some other similarities between birds and humans here.

[youtube]gqsMTZQ-pmE[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsMTZQ-pmE]YouTube - Male birds show off their beauty to attract females - David Attenborough - BBC wildlife[/url]

Spectacular wattles, the thrill of the chase, good wardrobe, and dangerous displays of daring. Oh, yes.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree. mr boy tarantula's primary talents are bringing her something really good to eat to the date, and then making a very fast departure right after that meal, so he does not end up dessert (happens alot). for humans its much easier, just dont stare at his neck and lick your lips so much and he will ask you out.
Well, if we're gonna be talking about exceptions and skunks...

Does the male squirrel help take care of the babies?

No, the male squirrel leaves after the mating. The female raises the babies by herself.

A Squirrel Place F.A.Q. Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You might find some other similarities between birds and humans here.

Spectacular wattles, the thrill of the chase, good wardrobe, and dangerous displays of daring. Oh, yes.
Yep, if you got it, you flaunt it! It's funny, though, that among the animals the males are way more beautiful! Perhaps things got reversed with the invention of cosmetics. I honestly think a gorgeous man looks good with much less effort, maintenance, and expense than a gorgeous woman...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
I agree but that is partly because of what we humans find beautiful.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I agree but that is partly because of what we humans find beautiful.
The bottom line is the mating game is a game of survival of the fittest and you either do what you can to be desirable or you don't get any and you shouldn't whine about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships