Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,888 times

Advertisements

I'm being called a superficial hater here...and below is how it went down...
Ok so I was at the club this friday with some friends, male and female.
During this visit I approached some women, got turned down a couple of times, and then I just danced around for a while, and then went for a beer.
While standing there sipping, talking etc there was this noticably overweight girl who sort of approached me, so one of my female friends who was there seemed to try to "wingwoman" this girl by giving her compliments that would imply an agreement from me and so on.
So being polite I agreed she had the cutest dress everand had a certain glow to her in red...
So this girl starts coming on to me, and I turned her down saying something like
"I'm flattered but I'm dating someone".
I think she didn't believe me as she'd probable seen me talk to other girls before etc but she got the hint.

And today I met my female friend again, and we talked some and after a while she makes this really poisonous comment about how I'm such a superficial jerk turning down a girl who was overweight while I had just spent an hour and a half trying to chat other women up. I got a bit pissed, because I think I was as nice as I could be to a person I wasn't attracted to at all. My female friend basically said "if you can go for any woman with a skirt for half the night, why suddenly so selective?" etc The way I see it I don't have to justify who I'm attracted to.

But how superficial is it really?
I work out on average 1,5 to 2 hours/day, am very concious about what I eat etc I'm 6'4, 215~lbs, fit.
At her bodycomposition she have more than likely been aware of having a weightproblem for well more than a year, and never along the way has she halted the process and turned it. To me this means that she either lacks the knowledge, ambition or willpower to make a change.
And putting appearances aside, this would make for a huge clash in terms of lifestyles. I mean if I go on a tripp with a gf for example I wanna go snowboarding, bungeyjumping, riverrafting etc, would a notably overweight person even handle that?

So what do you think is considering someones weight as a dealbreaker really superficial?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
A. You are attracted to who you're attracted to. Period. All the political correctness in the world is not going to sustain a relationship.

B. Your friend needs to step off.

C. Throwing an overweight woman a pity date isn't doing her any favors.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I'm being called a superficial hater here...and below is how it went down...
Ok so I was at the club this friday with some friends, male and female.
During this visit I approached some women, got turned down a couple of times, and then I just danced around for a while, and then went for a beer.
While standing there sipping, talking etc there was this noticably overweight girl who sort of approached me, so one of my female friends who was there seemed to try to "wingwoman" this girl by giving her compliments that would imply an agreement from me and so on.
So being polite I agreed she had the cutest dress everand had a certain glow to her in red...
So this girl starts coming on to me, and I turned her down saying something like
"I'm flattered but I'm dating someone".
I think she didn't believe me as she'd probable seen me talk to other girls before etc but she got the hint.

And today I met my female friend again, and we talked some and after a while she makes this really poisonous comment about how I'm such a superficial jerk turning down a girl who was overweight while I had just spent an hour and a half trying to chat other women up. I got a bit pissed, because I think I was as nice as I could be to a person I wasn't attracted to at all. My female friend basically said "if you can go for any woman with a skirt for half the night, why suddenly so selective?" etc The way I see it I don't have to justify who I'm attracted to.

I work out on average 1,5 to 2 hours/day, am very concious about what I eat etc I'm 6'4, 215~lbs, fit.
At her bodycomposition she have more than likely been aware of having a weightproblem for well more than a year, and never along the way has she halted the process and turned it. To me this means that she either lacks the knowledge, ambition or willpower to make a change.
And putting appearances aside, this would make for a huge clash in terms of lifestyles. I mean if I go on a tripp with a gf for example I wanna go snowboarding, bungeyjumping, riverrafting etc, would a notably overweight person even handle that?

So what do you think is considering someones weight as a dealbreaker really superficial?
That same overweight woman probably wouldn't be into an overweight man so yeah dude forget them and do what you feel.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,664,232 times
Maybe she's in the process of losing weight? Maybe she finally got over depression or maybe out of a relationship where she depended on eating for comfort? I've lost a bit of weight over the past few months because I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I'm in the process of losing more. Recently, I came in contact with a guy who told me 'you'd be really cute if you lost weight' a few months ago and he started comig onto me. He was soundly rejected.

So maybe you should judge by character, because in most cases weight can be changed.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,726,531 times
If you are complaining about body fat percentages within a 5% window you may be obsessed or shallow. But when its glaringly obvious to the point of it changes the body type its just a lifestyle factor as you already stated. Does your friend drink heavy boozers or smokers?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe she's in the process of losing weight? Maybe she finally got over depression or maybe out of a relationship where she depended on eating for comfort? I've lost a bit of weight over the past few months because I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I'm in the process of losing more. Recently, I came in contact with a guy who told me 'you'd be really cute if you lost weight' and he started comig onto me. He was soundly rejected.

So maybe you should judge by character, because in most cases weight can be changed.
Weight can be changed, absolutely, but people don't go 100 lbs+ overweight over night to begin with, and it's not gonna be shredded off over nigth neither for that matter.
I mean even if this gal started the morning after I met her, and did things fairly right she'd still probably have 2-3 year long voyage to go getting slimmed down.

36,672 posts, read 30,977,749 times
Quote:
An putting appearances aside, this would make for a huge clash in terms of lifestyles. I mean if I go on a tripp with a gf for example I wanna go snowboarding, bungeyjumping, riverrafting etc, would a notably overweight person even handle that?

Not at all. What turns me off and seems somewhat superficial is when people go out of their way to tell other people how many hours they spend at the gym and how careful they are about what they eat then compare everyone else to their standards and lifestyle while judging them for "inadequacies" and priorities.

14,294 posts, read 13,212,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So clearly you take fitness seriously. So for no other reason, it seems like you woudl want someone with common interest.

Quote:
Not At All. I would not date someone I did not find attractive. For myself, I CAN find a man attractive who has a couple of extra pounds on him. But attraction has to be there. (No comb overs!)

What I find more appalling is the great American fat acceptance movement that would label you a hater for wanting to be attracted to a potential mate.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
You do not have to justify who you are to attracted, and you're under no obligation to ask anyone out. Period.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,996,866 times
It's obvious her character is terrible if she cannot move on and find a different potential boyfriend to stalk at the nightclub. These mafia tactics are used a lot by insecure and angry women. It's sickening. Sometimes these loser women cannot understand that some men are gay don't want anything to do with women. And it's obvious that these narcissistic women have never looked into a mirror and objectively judged their appearance and made holistic changes: they prefer self-delusion to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe she's in the process of losing weight? Maybe she finally got over depression or maybe out of a relationship where she depended on eating for comfort? I've lost a bit of weight over the past few months because I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and I'm in the process of losing more. Recently, I came in contact with a guy who told me 'you'd be really cute if you lost weight' a few months ago and he started comig onto me. He was soundly rejected.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships