U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:05 PM

4,813 posts, read 3,990,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Several weeks after I joined the military in 19066 my college sweetheart sent me the proverbial "Dear John" letter. I saw her when I was home on leave before heading to my next duty station and that was the last time I saw or heard from her. For the next 40+ years I considered her "unfinished business" and occasionally wondered what became of her.

One failed marriage and a second marriage later I ran across her quite by accident on the internet researching something for one of my daughters. I e-mailed her and she responded. She was in the midst of her own divorce at the time and seemed glad to hear from me. We corresponded a bit and talked by phone once. As we got to "know" one anther again it became apparent to me that she was hungry for male attention and wanted a male shoulder to lean on. She seemed to think I was it. Even more important, our lifestyles, likes and dislikes and entire lives had diverged so far apart that had we stayed together and married it would have been a disaster.

As Thomas Wolfe wrote in his book, You Can't Go Home Again, "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

Keep in mind, there are reason a relationship failed.

For many people, reliving the past and its fond memories is better than trekking the unknown by yourself. A prime reason why people go back to exes. It's easier than getting to know someone else and try and get used to another person. At a certain point you have a routine and sometimes people just prefer to go back to people that understand their routine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:39 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,578,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
For many people, reliving the past and its fond memories is better than trekking the unknown by yourself. A prime reason why people go back to exes. It's easier than getting to know someone else and try and get used to another person. At a certain point you have a routine and sometimes people just prefer to go back to people that understand their routine.
Keep in mind that over the course of time, people change, grow, regress, etc. Compatibility is not necessarily a constant.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-08-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Keep min mind that over the course of time, people change, grow, regress, etc. Compatibility is not necessarily a constant.

I never stated that it was. I was stating that after awhile, some people get fed up with meeting new people, so they go back to what was familiar. Basically, the train wreck you know is better than the train wreck you do know.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:20 PM

8,138 posts, read 5,582,944 times
Quote:
I never stated that it was. I was stating that after awhile, some people get fed up with meeting new people, so they go back to what was familiar. Basically, the train wreck you know is better than the train wreck you do know.
Nah, when you love yourself and have a healthy self esteem, train wrecks are not appealing. Past ones or future ones

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Nah, when you love yourself and have a healthy self esteem, train wrecks are not appealing. Past ones or future ones

Says the woman who seems to always end up in them...

Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM

8,138 posts, read 5,582,944 times
Quote:
Says the woman who seems to always end up in them...
Right but I don't keep them in my life. I send them packing as soon as their issues are obvious. I am working on figuring out if they have issues as soon as I meet them. This has proven to be more of a challenge.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:31 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,578,134 times
Quote:
Why would anyone with an iota of sense knowingly walk back into a train wreck, known or otherwise? Talk about surrender and settling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Right but I don't keep them in my life. I send them packing as soon as their issues are obvious. I am working on figuring out if they have issues as soon as I meet them. This has proven to be more of a challenge.
At what point does the "chase" become nothing more than a game played without commitment?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone with an iota of sense knowingly walk back into a train wreck, known or otherwise? Talk about surrender and settling?

I'm telling you from experience that it's not as far fetched as you may think. I went back a couple of times in my mid 20s, because she was really good in bed. Even though the relationship was the closest thing I could describe to hell on earth.

Also, as I've gotten older, I've noticed more men/women giving prior ex's a second chance. Sometimes you just buy into the hope that the person has changed, or you realize that you really can live with the things they did that drove you nuts before. Sometimes you feel your options are low, so you go with the next best thing. I'm not a fan of settling, but who's to say that I may not be faced with that dilemma someday?

Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM

27,048 posts, read 29,643,966 times
I've really never had this work out. No matter how much time had gone by and how much had changed, we were still the same people and we still really weren't meant to be together.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:36 PM

238 posts, read 300,668 times
It sounds like this could work if the couple were madly in love with each other, and during that period, unforeseen circumstances occurred (military, school obligations, employment reasons, family moving away, etc.) that broke them apart. They were forced to break up, but probably still carried the torch for that person. Sometimes the couple get to reunite, sometimes not. Sometimes both parties find a happily ever after with someone else, while others never totally move on from that first love or love of their life.

Most of us who divorced our former SO would not push the repeat button on the remote. For me, who I was then versus who I am now are different. And that's the biggest reason why I won't regress in trying to recapture something that failed the first time. I'm wiser, and stronger now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships