Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,416,415 times

Advertisements

One of my very best friends, who I've known for 14 years and I were talking today and she said that she had something important to talk to me about. her parents, her little sister and her brothers girlfriend all think I'm too flirty and friendly with her fiance. I could understand her parents (especially her dad) thinking that since they're super old fashioned, but her sister and brother's girlfriend?? hilarious. They've all apparently been riled up for a long time about me trying to "steal" him from her. She even said her sister almost got in my face about it.

Anyways, this is the first time that quiet little innocent me has ever been accused of this. I told my friend that even she knows that's ridiculous. I told her that ya he's attractive, but I don't like him like that and of course he's a friend by default through her. Thankfully she agreed, but wanted to make sure everyone was wrong and that she would have been more bothered by me being rude to him, which is the healthy response, I think. I also told her that when it comes up with her family again, to tell them that what they're saying is rude and that I was very offended that they would think I would be that kind of a friend to her. Looks like I'll have a nice talk with her parents next time I see them since I'm sure they'll confront me.

So now being nice and friendly to the opposite sex, especially if they're taken, is considered "man stealing". Who knew??? No wonder this world is so messed up. You're nice to people and everyone else gets mean about it or freaks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,205,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
One of my very best friends, who I've known for 14 years and I were talking today and she said that she had something important to talk to me about. her parents, her little sister and her brothers girlfriend all think I'm too flirty and friendly with her fiance. I could understand her parents (especially her dad) thinking that since they're super old fashioned, but her sister and brother's girlfriend?? hilarious. They've all apparently been riled up for a long time about me trying to "steal" him from her. She even said her sister almost got in my face about it.

Anyways, this is the first time that quiet little innocent me has ever been accused of this. I told my friend that even she knows that's ridiculous. I told her that ya he's attractive, but I don't like him like that and of course he's a friend by default through her. Thankfully she agreed, but wanted to make sure everyone was wrong and that she would have been more bothered by me being rude to him, which is the healthy response, I think. I also told her that when it comes up with her family again, to tell them that what they're saying is rude and that I was very offended that they would think I would be that kind of a friend to her. Looks like I'll have a nice talk with her parents next time I see them since I'm sure they'll confront me.

So now being nice and friendly to the opposite sex, especially if they're taken, is considered "man stealing". Who knew??? No wonder this world is so messed up. You're nice to people and everyone else gets mean about it or freaks out.

People are weird. There's really no explanation for this kind of behavior, guess it's just basic human nature to be suspicious?

People have come close to doing this to me before, but I've always quashed the behavior before it gets out of hand and made it clear that if they want to talk to me about something, that they can do it to my face.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,416,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
People are weird. There's really no explanation for this kind of behavior, guess it's just basic human nature to be suspicious?

People have come close to doing this to me before, but I've always quashed the behavior before it gets out of hand and made it clear that if they want to talk to me about something, that they can do it to my face.
ya, her and I laughed about it cause we both know its ridiculous but she was in a position of where everyone brought it up so often that she started to believe it, understandably and that's why she confronted me (nicely though). Her brothers girlfriend doesn't know me, at all so maybe thats why she mistook any friendly gesture towards my friends fiance as "man stealing". same with her sister (except she knows me a little better). Either way, to go as far as almost getting in my face about it, is beyond insane to me. Not only that, they almost drove a wedge between mine and her friendship because of this figment of their imagination b.s.

but ya, maybe suspicion is human nature but c'mon..calm down people! lol

Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,056,771 times
I would typically call this an issue of jealousy/cattiness. While I don't personally know you, I know based on pictures you shared, and comments on this forum that you're very attractive. It's common for women to be insecure--or "threatened" even, when there's another attractive female.

With that said, if the parents seem to notice something also, it might be worth noting... . What are his actions? I know you don't see him that way, and don't mean any harm, but is it possible that he might be attracted to you?

It's a good idea to be clear to the parents, and go to them before they go to you. That might make them reconsider their suspicions if you're more upfront about your intentions.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,611 times
The "threat" of the opposite sex, being possibly attracted to "your" (meaning everyone) significant other, is a very real threat, to many people.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
The "threat" of the opposite sex, being possibly attracted to "your" (meaning everyone) significant other, is a very real threat, to many people.
Absolutely... Plenty of people are insecure and jealous, even for no reason. It is what it is... It doesn't deserve a second thought.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,584,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
One of my very best friends, who I've known for 14 years and I were talking today and she said that she had something important to talk to me about. her parents, her little sister and her brothers girlfriend all think I'm too flirty and friendly with her fiance. .
Why would your friend bring this up if she doesn't believe theres truth to it?

Really....She needs her parents, her sister and brothers girlfriend to stand behind her on a non-issue?

Your friend has problems....its called delusional jealousy. Be careful.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,599,513 times
Maybe her fiance has a crush on you.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,862,274 times
Default Not Unexpected

With hypergamy as prevalent as it is, at least 80% of women are at risk of being accused of this.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:48 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,584,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
With hypergamy as prevalent as it is, at least 80% of women are at risk of being accused of this.
I don't see how this relates to the OPs dilemma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships