Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

Everything in your room outside of the furniture and each other is a distraction. Whether it's television, books, computer/laptop, cell phone, etc., so I'm not sure why TV is such an evil entity for some while it serves the same purpose as any other distraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Everything in your room outside of the furniture and each other is a distraction. Whether it's television, books, computer/laptop, cell phone, etc., so I'm not sure why TV is such an evil entity for some while it serves the same purpose as any other distraction.
Studies have shown that the light emitted from the screens from TVs, laptops, and phones is over-stimulating right before sleep and keeps people from getting good sleep (and distracts them from interacting with their partners.) Since books don't give off light, it's not the same thing.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
I've always had a TV in my bedroom since I was a kid and continue to now. I usually watch it until 11pm, then turn it off to sleep. I cannot sleep with it on. So it doesn't affect my sleep or my ability to relax beforehand.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,960 times
I grew up in a bedroom where everything was readily available to me: a TV, a video player, countless books, a balcony where I had plants and flowers, a big bed, a lot of toys, a big desk to do homework and study, an easel to paint, a whiteboard... I spent a lot of time in there keeping myself amused. It felt like my private property, and the rest of the place was my parents'.

Now my SO and I share a bedroom where we only sleep and keep each other amused. So all the other things are elsewhere in the house, which is perfect for us!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Studies have shown that the light emitted from the screens from TVs, laptops, and phones is over-stimulating right before sleep and keeps people from getting good sleep (and distracts them from interacting with their partners.) Since books don't give off light, it's not the same thing.
There are also studies that have shown if you lie in bed for prolonged periods of time for anything other than sleep or sex, it detracts from your sleep. That would include reading. All depends on the studies you choose to put more stock into.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Personally, I despise television. It's call The Idiot Box for a reason. That's not to say I don't watch it from time to time, particularly when my favorite team is playing. But I tune into a program rather than automatically turn it on to see what's on. Life's too short to squander it staring at a flickering screen.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

I suppose I see the bedroom as my refuge from external distractions. To me reading is an introverted activity. It does not create noise and can be done without disturbing someone else.

I know for a fact that Hubby who is "weak" when it comes to TV would basically give in and watch it in bed whilst I was driven insane by the noise, the flickering whether whilst trying to sleep or read. I was not even that keen on having our MP3 docking station in there truth be told.

As much as I love my Husband, he finds it hard to live without noise or audio-visual stimulation and I am the quiet introspective type which means we need a space which is truly neutral so to speak.

He is the kind of person who will put on the radio every time he enters a room, or switch on the tv if he happens to sit in front of it and the cabinet door is open. It seems to call to him like a siren call, and I need a little quiet and peace in my life. So he has the living room if he wishes to watch something and I don't. I need somewhere safe I can escape to.

I would probably end up in jail for spousal abuse or Hubby-cide if we had the TV in the bedroom.

Of course he claims it is silly , but then I see him if we stay somewhere which has one in the bedroom. The mind is strong, the flesh is weak !
I have wanted to smother him with pillows whilst trying to read in hotel rooms. I basically know that I will not be able to read if we are in a hotel. It is that simple.

Though as long as BOTH parties are happy about it and it does not infringe on one another's peace then I do not see the problem.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NO.

The bedroom is for two things, and tv watching isn't one of them
Ditto. No TV in our bedroom either, nor will there ever be!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Though as long as BOTH parties are happy about it and it does not infringe on one another's peace then I do not see the problem.
There lies the key to all of this, so long as both parties are good with whatever is in the bedroom, be it tv, computer, books, or circus clowns, it's all good.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
No telly in the bedroom. Not that it matters so much these days, but bed is for sleeping or for most decidedly NOT sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships