Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackvar View Post

I told them that the only type of person I could see myself associating with would probably have to be rational, intelligent, and confident/driven, no libido, and emotionally apathetic.

After the silence broke, my friends have told me that they have never met anyone like that. They followed up by saying that I don't know what I want and that I would change my mind if I gave these people a chance. Since I am an extremely independent person, I seriously doubt I could put up with the neediness that most of these women (even my friends) seem to display.

What I am really wondering is... how hard would it be to find a person like this? I'm pretty happy on my own, but I would like to show my friends that it is possible to find this type of person. Could it be done? It would be interesting to associate with someone that I could truly relate to.
What would be the point?

[I'm surprised you have friends]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM

49 posts, read 44,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You know millions of people get phone numbers all the time from people they have known for a couple hours, some result in relationships some go no further.

Just a quick question, when you were a young child what kind of relationship did you have with Mom?
I am pretty close with both of my parents. We had our spats like any other family does, but nothing terrible happened to any of us. If anything, my parents have been more instrumental in teaching me how to care for people than anyone else.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I am pretty close with both of my parents. We had our spats like any other family does, but nothing terrible happened to any of us. If anything, my parents have been more instrumental in teaching me how to care for people than anyone else.
But do you really care for people - or are you just going through the motions? There's a big difference.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
My main goal in all of this is to show them that I am perfectly capable of associating with someone on a personal level.
1. Why?
2. Ummm....not so much.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
But do you really care for people - or are you just going through the motions? There's a big difference.
I probably am going through the motions. However, I believe that I go through the motions because I care for them. I honestly don't know how to show how important they are to me, so I act like the kind of person that they seem to enjoy being around. I help them when they have serious issues (water damage, school work, computer problems, etc...), I buy drinks every time we're out, I DD from every so often, and I try to make everyone as happy as I can.

As a side note: This is about as honest as I have ever been about my own motivations to anyone. The veil of anonymity seems to help when I have problems like this as I don't want my friends to know that I may be "going through the motions."

Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
1. Why?
2. Ummm....not so much.
Its a challenge and I love achieving difficult goals. I also wouldn't mind indulging on the lowered insurance rates, halved mortgage, and interesting discussions/collaborations every so often.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
I probably am going through the motions. However, I believe that I go through the motions because I care for them. I honestly don't know how to show how important they are to me, so I act like the kind of person that they seem to enjoy being around. I help them when they have serious issues (water damage, school work, computer problems, etc...), I buy drinks every time we're out, I DD from every so often, and I try to make everyone as happy as I can.

As a side note: This is about as honest as I have ever been about my own motivations to anyone. The veil of anonymity seems to help when I have problems like this as I don't want my friends to know that I may be "going through the motions."
But by acting, or going through the motions, you aren't being your true self and, at some point, you will get tired of the charade.

When you are acting, are you wishing you didn't have to? Do you feel yourself being fake? Do you get any positive benefit from the way you act around your friends or are you trying to be a people pleaser while being resentful of it underneath?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Its a challenge and I love achieving difficult goals. I also wouldn't mind indulging on the lowered insurance rates, halved mortgage, and interesting discussions/collaborations every so often.
This sounds so robotic and cold. No one wants to be in a relationship with someone who's doing it as an experiment or a project.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Why would you think that, because I'm very curious about your profession, I would want to consider you as a potential romantic interest? I don't get the connection. My friends also have a variety of professions, hobbies, and activities that I find intriguing, however, they have yet to confuse that with romantic interest.

I don't think I am projecting about the phone issue. None of the friends that I have ever gave me their phone number merely hours after meeting me. I usually received it later when needing to meet up with them somewhere or getting directions to an event. In any case, I have their contact information because they knew me well and trusted me after months of associating with each other. Perhaps privacy was a bad term to use, but why would you trust anyone after knowing them for only hours? It just seems like poor judgement.

Anytime someone shows romantic interest in me, it just feels like my personality, accomplishments, and motivations are secondary to their desires. If anything, that overture alone makes me feel less human than never having returned romantic affection. It's almost as if they would rather throw away the friendship I would cherish for their own satisfaction. It really bums me out.

Why does my not having romantic/sexual feelings make me less than a person? I'm not a misanthrope or a misogynist so why are you comparing me to a reptile?

I'll try -- actually TRY -- one more round, but you're not going to get it, not even with me spoon-feeding it.

Why - (why) - WHY would she have mistaken your interest in typesetting, punctuation and copy correction for romantic interest?

Easy -- she DIDN'T. She enjoyed the conversation, had enough interest in YOU (per whatever you hissed at her, or Morse-coded with your flickering tongue) to want to talk again, possibly in a more personal capacity.

That is, SHE was interested enough in YOU to hand over her number in the hope that you'd call. She didn't presume you were hot-and-bothered over her, she felt that since you'd talked amiably enough there MIGHT be something there, and she elected to expound on it.

Further, per YOUR ss--s-sssibilant suggessss-stion, YOUR friends had invited HER over with the notion being that she MEET YOU.

Y'reckon, oh Social Gojira, that maybe they'd mentioned something to her, even innocuously? And based on that she might have taken your passing interest in her otherwise unthrilling job to be (I'll be careful here so I don't lose you) what mammals sometimes do as a shy way of expressing even casual interest in her? I know it's unfamiliar territory, but the furred-and-legged variety DO this sometimes.

Crazy, I know...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Wow. You sound like a sociopath. Someone who doesn't feel what normal humans feel and tries to replicate what normal people do, though the feelings that accompany normal human interaction are missing. It doesn't mean criminal, btw, but sociopathy is a specific type of an antisocial personality.

You can't pretend to feel when you simply don't (feel). How sad. Having to wear a mask and try to fit in and be a normal person when inside you really are more robot than man.

There is no logic that anyone is going to say to make you any different than you are. It is what it is..you are what you are. You're like Dexter but without the serial killing urge (I hope).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships