Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM

479 posts, read 836,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackvar View Post
In all honesty,

I miss the days where I could just be friends without people assuming I have other motives.

I really do like my friends...

I just don't "love" anyone.

Do you think you're missing out on anything? Are you satisfied with your life?

Looks to me like you're successful, and have people to hang out with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,216,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When he starts dissecting animals to "see what's inside!" I'll reconsider.
Well, most of them do not dissect animals literally. They dissect humans metaphorically.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,734,758 times
A sociopath =/= murderer.

Although many murderers are sociopaths, not all sociopaths kill things.

Sociopath describes a type of antisocial personality in which feelings are absent and the person goes through the motions to mimic what is expected of a person with feelings. They are not necessarily evil people out to hurt others, they simply are devoid of feelings and typical values that a larger majority of the population has. They CAN be evil of course, and can manipulate and take advantage of others, but I don't think 100% of them do that.

This OP sure does seem to match at least some of the characteristics.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM

49 posts, read 44,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Do you think you're missing out on anything? Are you satisfied with your life?

Looks to me like you're successful, and have people to hang out with.
I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out. I am very proud of my life.

I guess what I should really do is tell my friends everything. I should explain who I am, how I work in this world, and what I'm (in)capable of. Maybe once they totally understand my perspective, they'll let me enjoy the things that I actually can share with them.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 PM

479 posts, read 836,221 times
Quote:
I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out. I am very proud of my life.

I guess what I should really do is tell my friends everything. I should explain who I am, how I work in this world, and what I'm (in)capable of. Maybe once they totally understand my perspective, they'll let me enjoy the things that I actually can share with them.
I've had a good friend for many years who seems a lot like you. Excepting he's been married for quite some time and has kids.

He's helped me out with a lot of things, things people who claim to be "normal" and supposedly have "empathy" didn't...at all. Even though I'd helped them.

If I died tomorrow yeah, he'd show some form of emotion for "show". But it wouldn't phase him at all...

Suggest weighing it out on who to talk with. Wouldn't discourage, but at the same time...people can be well people. You're not alone, but well...you know.

"Maybe once they totally understand my perspective, they'll let me enjoy the things that I actually can share with them." That's what I'd hope for.

Sounds like you've got some good friends, if they're trying to "hook you up." Which actually says a lot about what they think of you.

Last edited by tegota; 11-15-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,582,849 times
Quote:
I was recently introduced to a female acquaintance of a friend during a group outing. This person seemed very friendly and we spent most of the night talking. However, I was baffled when she gave me her phone number at the end of the evening. I honestly don't understand why she felt this was proper to do to someone that they just met and barely know. My friends seemed equally puzzled when I discarded her phone number (after she left, of course). They couldn't seem to understand why I would find her behavior odd and a tad off-putting.

Thats how relationships begin, with conversation. She didn't ask you to sleep with her.

If you can find someone to relate to, kudos to you. There seem to be issues of power and control.

Last edited by virgode; 11-15-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thats how relationships begin, with conversation. She didn't ask you to sleep with her.

If you can find someone to relate to, kudos to you. There seem to be issues of power and control.
All I wanted was friendship though, not a relationship. That is the problem I had with her gesture.

Power and control?

Can you elaborate because I don't understand where those issues present themselves.

Last edited by stackvar; 11-16-2011 at 05:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM

11,811 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Sounds like you've got some good friends, if they're trying to "hook you up." Which actually says a lot about what they think of you.
They sound like good people, but they're not aware that they're dealing with someone who is acting a part to fit in. Sure, it may not be hurting them any, but the OP is not being true to himself so it is a deception.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM

11,811 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
All I wanted was friendship though, not a relationship. That is the problem I had with her gesture.

Power and control?

Can you elaborate because I don't understand where those issues present themselves.
She was interested in you, POSSIBLY in a romantic way, but you discarded her literally and figuratively when you threw away her number. You assigned motives to that gesture and questioned/criticized her as a person for extending herself to connect with you.

The way you're reacting to her offering her number to you is disproportionate to what actually occurred. She didn't tackle you to the ground and then drag you back to her place to have her way with you. She gave you her phone number. You're not interested. That's fine. You don't have to be. But to have all these "problems" with her is YOUR problem.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 AM

I still don't specifically see where power and control fit in. Those are attributes I usually ascribe to despots, not someone's refusal to associate with a person.

I think I am having a hard time understanding her motives because I have never heard or seen where the exchange of a phone number did not have some other connotation to it apart from potential romantic interest (however subtle). I have never had a man do that to me and none of my female friends have ever done that either. If she was truly seeking friendship only, why not just hang around our mutual friends instead? We would still see each other in the same context. Could she have been impatient?

When people are friendly to me, I am happy to return the favor. However when they start crossing the line into affectionate territory, I feel like I'm no longer allowed to pursue that endeavor. I start seeing the person as being selfish for throwing away the only thing I really have to offer them on a social level. It takes a lot for me to act social and I do it because I care about my friends. I do my very best to never send out signals that would imply romance or affection on my part yet I am still confronted with these enigmatic overtures.

Why should I tolerate any potential romantic interest if I am incapable of comprehending romance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships